"having your picture taken, without permission"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Imported

Gold Member

wristthickxl: Hi there. I was wondering if you guys have experienced what I have in the last few years....several times, men on beaches have taken pictures of my crotch and/or dick without my permission...

The first time was on Fire Island. I was wearing a bathing suit, a Speedo, which I'll confess is packed to the max...A friend and I were lounging on the beach and we heard some clicks....He went over to the guys taking the picture and he came back laughing. "They weren't taking pictures of us, he said, they were taking pictures of your crotch."

The most recent episode was on vacation this summer at a gay nude beach. Once again, the click of a camera (several times), but this time I was nude.

I confronted the guy who said he just had to have a picture of such a beautiful dick.

My question: how should one react? On the one hand, I'm flattered that my dick moves men to take pictures of it. On the other hand, it's an incredible invasion of privacy, particularly if my face is in the picture...But what is one supposed to do, rip the camera out of the guy's hands and destroy his film? Seems a bit dramatic....Would like some input on this and to hear if any of you have undergone something similar?

2. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: Interesting. Sometimes when someone is staring too intently in the shower or restroom I am tempted to say, "Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer." Guess some people don't even need an invitation.

Seriously, the behavior you describe is rude. But, on the other hand, if you go out in a public place intentionally making a noticeable display, you can't really expect to claim privacy.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Gosh, it never occured to me that if I'm nude in public - as on a beach - with lots of other nude people around, that I'd feel that my privacy had been invaded when somebody pointed a camera my way.

But you're right, wtxl. As a matter of fact you have a strong point there.

Now, if there are security cameras scanning an area, that's one thing, but one should be asked his or her permission before taking one's personal photograph. It's a very intimate thing to share with someone, clothed or not.

I see nothing wrong with protesting strongly that it is a privacy issue and asking the candid photographer to stop immediately.

On the other hand you might have asked the guys taking the picture if they would like a picture of themselves with you standing between them. Your pal could use their camera to give them a keepsake they would not soon forget:

I can see their friends looking at the photo and asking, "Wow, who is that guy in the middle who's making your dicks look so small?"

Pecker

4. Imported

Gold Member

wristthickxl: Donk, I would argue that I am not "out in a public place intentionally making a noticeable display"...Are guys who have average or small dicks going to a nude beach intentionally making a noticeable display? This reminds me once of an acquaintance who accused me of flaunting my endowment. I asked, "Why do you say that?" And he said, cause you show it on a nude beach. Never mind that he was nude as was everyone else around him. I didn't have an erection, nor was I acting improperly. I was reading a book. Isn't this a double standard? Sorry got off topic a bit but I think there is a double standard if you are endowed sometimes.....still interested in more thoughts about the picture taking too...

5. johnstone1985

johnstone1985 New Member

A Little Off Topic I Know...

But in Edinburgh (Scotland's Capital) they have banned all parents from filming their children's nativity play without the parent of each child involved signing a release form due to the fear of the videos getting into the hands of paedophiles.

Off Topic but a point of interest (I thought).

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Right again, wtxl.

Nobody ever got accused of flaunting a big ass.

Pecker

7. Imported

Gold Member

biggbenn8: Well....

As someone who goes on occation to a clothing optional predominatly male space... The rule there is- they see you with a camera? you are booted. period. The ONLY way they are allowed is with very spec. parameters-

this also applies to night goggles and binoculars..

being involved in sex in public is one thing- being photographed against your will...

well- look at the "papparazzi' issue...

I view it as 'personal space'- yes, I do like to show off on occasion- but that is in a scenario that I control.

Pictures of me on the internet? I cannot control that, and won't allow it (if I can help it) happen.

8. Imported

Gold Member

ninermd: While my preference would be that someone does not take my picture without my permission, and I would never take someone else's without their consent, I believe that the current state of the law in these United States would not recognize a reasonable expectation of privacy in a nude beach. If you show it in public, it's pretty much public property if they get the picture. That's that.

9. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: [quote author=wristthickxl link=board=meetgreet;num=1039999832;start=0#3 date=12/15/02 at 17:49:04]Are guys who have average or small dicks going to a nude beach intentionally making a noticeable display? [/quote]

Sure they are. And they take the same risk that someone will take a pic of them. The picture-taking is rude but, at the same time, it is easily avoided. If you don't want to run the risk of strangers taking pictures of your dick, don't go to the beach in the nude or a speedo. That's how I avoid it.

10. Imported

Gold Member

Curtis: Let me get this straight… you’re on a public beach, expecting privacy? Seems like a pretty obvious contradiction to me. In the US, the right to privacy in one’s home is considered an important freedom, but some people have the absurd notion that they should have some right to privacy everywhere. Beyond the confines of your home, restrooms, locker rooms, dressing rooms, etc. Any expectation of privacy is pretty unreasonable.

Is it rude to take photographs of people without their permission? Perhaps, but I’m more concerned about rude drivers than rude photographers. Many privately-owned nude beaches have strict rules about cameras. Anywhere else, it’s just another form of rudeness that we all put up with on a daily basis.

I tend to dress for comfort when possible, often wearing sweat pants that show a fairly obvious bulge. I’ve been the unwitting subject of gawkers’ cameras a few times. It’s a little annoying, but not worth making an issue of.

Curtis

11. Imported

Gold Member

meathose10: Yeah , I've had shots snapped when the photographer thinks I'm unaware. Big deal. This happens in public spaces where I'm out and about in broad daylight , so if eyes can see what's packed between my legs I have no objection to a camera - in public. In fact , I find it flattering. I'll stand in a way that maximizes the show if I get a chance. Once I was outright asked if I would pose so this guy could jerk off to my bulge at home. I had on pale gray spandex shorts - I could see his point....Fine by me.

12. Imported

Gold Member

trewqed: me and my wife spend lots of time on nude beaches when on holiday. we also stay at nudist camps and it's true that the general rule is no photography. only on one time has there been an exception, it was in france on a nudepublic beach and i was standing up, naked, having a smoke while me wife lay reading her book. as i stood there a small girl, maybe 2 or 3 years old kept running up to us for no reason and then running off, when i looked at where she was coming from after the third or fourth time she did this i noticed her parents, sitting together on a towel, were filming her little runs with a video camera, so i must have been on film as i stood and wanderred around my wife while i was smoking. coincindence? or was the little girl sent on a mission? who knows, all i remember is i soon sat down, and they soon stopped filming and left the beach when i noticed them.

13. Imported

Gold Member

trewqed: oh and if yu were wondering , on a nice hot day i hang about 8 soft

was i ofended? not really

14. Imported

Gold Member

nycmike30: I have to disagree with Donk. Just because you're super-hung doesn't mean that you consent to having your picture taken and circulated, whether you're in a Speedo or naked. Everyone has a justifiable expectation of privacy on a public beach, even if it's a nude beach, as far as photographing is concerned. Simply being nude or having an outstanding physical feature does not imply consent on the part of the subject of the photograph.

15. Imported

Gold Member

kyle: I'd like to start by saying that I think it's deplorable for anyone to photograph anyone without consent.  However, nycmike, as a point of law, being in public is the exact opposite of "reasonable expectation of privacy."  We are under consistent surveillance in our daily lives and can only expect privacy in our homes and, to some extent, private clubs and religious structures.  And, by the way, if anyone's been paying attention, our President has endorsed the unwarranted invasion of privacy for religious organizations and others.

I'm thinking he's never read the fourth amendment.

16. Imported

Gold Member

nycmike30: I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the "reasonable expectation of privacy" to which you are referring to Kyle concerns government survellience, not photographs by strangers who, for example, wish to distribute one's picture on the Internet. While I would agree that our privacy rights have been eroded by the federal government since 9/11, that doesn't mean that some yob can snap a picture of my dick and post it with abandon on the worldwide web!

17. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: Huh? The question is....If he can read does he understand what he's reading. ::)

Grandpa

18. Imported

Gold Member

queenie: [quote author=kyle link=board=meetgreet;num=1039999832;start=0#14 date=12/16/02 at 12:00:18]I'm thinking he's never read the fourth amendment.[/quote] I'm thinking he's never read ... period! ;D

19. jonb

Gold Member

"The question is never asked: Is our children learning?"
    -GeeDubya, who apparently aren't learning either

"I know something about being a government..."
    -GeeDubya, who accidentally happened unto a metaphysical question

"There ought to be limits on freedom."
    -Bush, sick of these "Dubya's an idiot" lists

20. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

"...a long waiting line before they could get a biopsy or, uh, or a uh, another kind of what I am looking for, a sonogram or ..." the crowd yelled out "mammogram."
    Al Gore lamenting the fate of breast cancer suffers

"...there was never any doubt in our minds that men and women are equal, if not more so."
    Al Gore to a small audience of mostly women.

"A zebra does not change its spots."
    Al Gore attacking George H. W. Bush in 1992

"Machismo gracias."
    Al Gore to a school of mainly Hispanic students in 1996

Let's hear about some more literate presidents!

Pecker

Draft saved Draft deleted