Hawaii, earthquake

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've just read that there has been a bad earthquake in Hawaii. I know that Sorcerer is living in Hawaii and hope that he is alright. While I do not know him personally, I always enjoy his posts and immediately wondered what his situation is.

Novaboy

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Word is, there's been utility outages (likely including Internet), but I've not heard of any casualties as of yet. (I haven't been watching TV much lately).

Here's a good question, though.... What's the chances of N. Korea's nuke tests setting off the chain of earthquakes we've had lately? (Japan, Alaska, etc.)

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
By all accounts, the earthquake was relatively strong when it hit a few hours back, but its effects seem to have been largely superficial, bringing down unsecured items of furnishing, uncemented rock walls, etc., but having little effect on solid structures.

Power outages were reported earlier in quite a few localities, so it could be a little while before we hear anything directly (although some emails clearly are getting through currently).

LPSG has a fair few other members in Hawaii in addition to "Sorcerer".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6053796.stm

An early-morning earthquake at sea has knocked out power and toppled rock walls across the US state of Hawaii but there are no reports of deaths.

US scientists recorded the 6.3 quake at 0707 (1607 GMT) six miles (10km) south-west of the coastal town of Puako on the state's southernmost Big Island.

There was "no report at all of any fatality", Governor Linda Lingle said.
A US scientist said there was no risk of a tsunami but "significant wave activity" in Hawaii.

The quake was felt as far as 150 miles (240km) away to the north-west on the island of Oahu where some people were trapped in lifts.

Boulders fell on highways, rock walls fell down and television sets were knocked off stands, Governor Lingle said.

Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the US National Earthquake Information Center, said there was no risk of a Pacific-wide tsunami.

"I wouldn't expect anything catastrophic," he said. "But you never know about these things."

Liz Fischer, a BBC News website user from Paia Hawaii, said she woke to find her wood-frame house swaying and stood outside as aftershocks arrived.

However the damage seemed minimal apart from things being thrown off shelves.

Alex Davidson wrote from Kailua-Kona to say that as someone who had long lived in San Francisco he could say that the Hawaian quake was "one of the biggest" he had experienced.
But there had been little damage to his house, he added.

tmny

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in Kona, Hawaii and felt the 6.6 earthquake this morning.

It was a little freaky, but I just immediately ran outside because i didn't want my roof to collapse on me. theres a state of emergency apparently, but i think its really just life as usual for most people around here.

walmart collapsed i heard, and some other places. havent actually driven around though, because they are asking people to stay off the roads so the emergency response vehicles can get places quickly.

i'm just pissed i missed the cowboys game due to the power outage.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
My sister lives in Kailua on Oahu - somehow she managed to call here this afternoon via cell phone. Says a lot of structural damage, many unpassable roads, all utilities in her locale out. No damage to her home or others in her area, but then there isn't much there to damage - she lives in a home with roll up walls and all plumbing, etc. centrally located. Apparently tsunami risk has passed, but massive waves are still expected.

Too early to get more info, but ya, sounds like a big one. Making things worse is that there's heavy rains goin on right now, too.

Glad I'm a flatlander, eh? Although there seems to be no escape anywhere from extreme weather nowadays...

Hoping for the best for everybody out there in paradise.

Walmart collapsed? Why does that make me happy?...

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hatched69 said:
(...)

Here's a good question, though.... What's the chances of N. Korea's nuke tests setting off the chain of earthquakes we've had lately? (Japan, Alaska, etc.)

I'm not a sizemologist, by any means, but i highly doubt this would have been caused by any nuclear testing. For one thing, nobody has noticed any changes in radiation levels in NK the area, casting serious doubt on whether NK's claims are valid. Furthermore, I would surmise that a nuclear explosion large enough to cause tectonic repercussions would be easily detectable.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
joyboytoy79 said:
I'm not a sizemologist, by any means, but i highly doubt this would have been caused by any nuclear testing. For one thing, nobody has noticed any changes in radiation levels in NK the area, casting serious doubt on whether NK's claims are valid. Furthermore, I would surmise that a nuclear explosion large enough to cause tectonic repercussions would be easily detectable.

Possibly so. It just seems odd (read: coincendence) that these 'quakes are happening so soon after N. Korea allegedly "tested" their nukes. It doesn't take much to upset Mother Nature.....
Actually I'm waiting to see how many people start blaming the 'quake on Bush....:cool: (sarcastically speaking)

avgbritguy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I heard about the quake on the news here guys. Thinking of my buddies in the Hawaiian Islands. You know who you are ! :smile: Feel the love from the U.K. Talk to you soon when you're back online there.

Lonely Girl

Just Browsing
Media
I live here in Hawaii,and was only able to get on the internet this morning.Power was out for us since sunday 7am till about 9pm.IT was freaky,I live on Oahu and the worst was just no power.But it rained all day......