Hawaii to London

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_reid96816, Mar 27, 2009.

1. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

Im thinking of moving to London. Im not sure how life is there and how smooth of a transition I would make. If anyone could help me understand the living and work situation I would greatly appreciate it.

2. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

You're going to what?!?!
    Trust me, the grass is not greener on this side of the fence.

3. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with Orca. London is great to visit for a few days but you wouldn't want to leave Hawaii to live in London.

4. hockeyguy741

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

:cool:

#5 nudeyorker, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

thanks yorker and to you all. im still looking at my options.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yes, by all means , move to Olde Blighty. The beaches are ever so much nicer than that nasty black sand they have in Hawaii.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain why you would even consider such a ridiculous move!?! :eek: Are you allergic to sunshine, pineapples, SPAM, and warm weather?

I'm not very good with geography :redface: but I am pretty sure the only thing they both have in common is that they are islands. They do speak English so that's a help but some of their colloquialisms are different than ours.

#8 Principessa, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. dong20

Gold Member

Why not:

It's expensive (even now), it rains a lot (so it seems lately), there are far too many people these days and far too many of them seem entirely far too self absorbed. In fairness though, the overcrowding is more prevalent south of the river.

The transport infrastructure perpetually teeters on the edge of meltdown and the city is about to embarrass itself in what will likely be an exemplar for lowest bid consequences when it hosts the Olympics in 2012.

Why to:

There's a thriving artistic culture, it's incredibly diverse - on all levels - arguably more so than any other city (and I've known a fair few to judge), it's getting [a little] cheaper and has some of surprising oases of calm even right in the centre. There's also a great deal of hstory and historical architecture if that's your thing.

Of course that's a two paragraph pen picture and thus woefully subjective and incomplete. Like many large cities it has many flaws but it's still for the most part a great place to be. However, there are no beaches, black or otherwise although these days I believe Paris has a nice line in ersatz shorelines.

As for those wondering why the OP would choose to move from Hawaii to London - well at face value I can understand the incredulity, but people have their own reasons for wanting a change of venue.

How many of those people saying NO! have even been to Hawaii, let alone lived there. The impressions and experience of a vacation to 'paradise' aren't at all the same thing as would be experienced living there.

Sunshine, beaches and palm trees aren't everyone's bag, and Hawaii isn't without its problems. One man's paradise ...

10. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

impressive dong... spot on. I just need a chance of scenery. Yes, a place where English is spoken, but far enough from the states. To me Canada is America... (I'll probably get slapped by someone on here for saying that. And Mexico is just scary. Don't get me wrong you guys... Hawaii is a beautiful place, the options here are just so limited. Yes there is great diversity and the "aloha spirit" weighing that to the cost of living (which is one of the highest in the nation) and been there done that on every island deal makes me want to try the unexpected. Does that make any sense? lol sorry I'm rambling...

11. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

go to New Zealand, instead

you'll find the best of British culture (more British than the British), without the problems, and Euro-contamination that the UK has brought upon itself

in many ways, New Zealand can be considered one of the pinnacles of Western civilization

#11 B_Nick4444, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  12. superbot

Gold Member

I think to call New Zealand the "pinnacle of western civilization" might just be considered a teensy-weensy bit pretentious!!!....Besides the majority of UK people who go to settle over there seem to come back.....Furthermore, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by Euro-contamination????!! We ARE European!!!....

13. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

You know us Britlanders tend to think we're a world apart from other people!

Anyway, have you seen Gordon Brown sucking up to Obama? I mean, I know the phrase "once you've gone black you can't go back" but I think his wife should be deeply concerned. ;)

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I believe the ancestors are spinning in their graves at that one!

15. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

Im just waiting to sell my car... so then all ties to any bills would be done with Hawaii and the US.

16. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, the weather's getting better and people are perking up in the spring sunshine. It'll be a good time to arrive here.

We got culture, history, world cuisine, parks and trains to Paris!

17. dong20

Gold Member

And Brussels ... and Euro Disney. No, wait ... we're supposed to be encouraging him!

18. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

thats funny dong... lol

19. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

Any one from the UK have any recommendations for me as far as what hotel I should stay at while looking for a job?

Some things just fell into place as far as this relocation is concerned. I'm going to be in NYC in December with family and from there I'm going to head straight to LHR. So far things are looking good.

20. dong20

Gold Member

It may be worth checking out a relocation service, these guys are OK, if perhaps a tad pricy but there's no shortage of such service providers ...

TMS Relocation - London relocation agents and Tenancy Management Services, Kent, UK

You could always check out LOOT or HotProperty. Again, there's lots of choice these are just a couple I know. Any half decent hotel in London won't come cheap so a short let may be more cost effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted