Hayfever, anyone?

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Allergisches Asthma hat nichts mit Lungenkapazität zu tun. Wenn du dem Allergen ausgesetzt bist, zum Beispiel ich schmus' mit 'ner Katze, dann schwellen die Bronchien (die kleinen Verästelungen in den Lungen) zu, es bildet sich Schleim darin......und man kriegt keine Luft mehr.
Dann hilft nur noch Asthmaspray, das die Bronchien wieder erweitert.

ja das stimmt zwar, aber ich habe den Eindruck das es die Anfälligkeit verringert, und zudem für viele atembeschwerden unterhalb des Asthmaanfalls eine tatsächliche Lösung darstellt.

thetramp

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Allergisches Asthma hat nichts mit Lungenkapazität zu tun. Wenn du dem Allergen ausgesetzt bist, zum Beispiel ich schmus' mit 'ner Katze, dann schwellen die Bronchien (die kleinen Verästelungen in den Lungen) zu, es bildet sich Schleim darin......und man kriegt keine Luft mehr.
Dann hilft nur noch Asthmaspray, das die Bronchien wieder erweitert.

Das ist mir bewußt, aber es funktionierte dennoch für mich, ein gewißer teil davon düfte ein Placebo effekt sein, da man sich einfach weniger verwundbar fühlt, aber es braucht auch einfach länger bis der kritische Punkt der verengung ereicht ist, es macht einen dramatischen Unterschied ob man 450 oder 700 L/min als maximale flussmenge hat.

col1974

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Triludan / Teldane / Sildane was withdrawn because of the effect of fruit juices on it's metabolism in the gut.
Grapefruit juice in particular interferes with the catalysis of the pro-drug in to the active constituent which you can get now (prescription only in the UK). The pro-drug levels in the blood would then climb to levels that can seriously interfere with the heart. This is why it was withdrawn. For me Triludan was probably the most effective.
Had kenalog intramuscular steroid injection once but most GPs are very resistant to prescribing it because of the serious interactions it can have, as well as the dangers of long term steroid use on the immune system as well as other tissues in the body. That one time I had absolutely no symptoms for 6 weeks which got me through the summer. I was struggling to cope before hand and had tried a large number of over the counter stuff. That year was perhaps the worst ever for my hayfever.

Yes, it does seem to change from one year to another - depending on where you are and what the weather is like. I find the beginning of the season around April easier to take, as it's mainly just watery eyes and a runny nose.

As for meds, I think that Sildane was marketed in France as Teldane, and it worked fine for me, really the best antihistamine with the fewest side effects, but it was banned here for some reason and seems to have disappeared everywhere. I find Allegra and Claritine send me into a nervous frenzy (talk about non drowsy - I don't sleep all the time I'm taking them) so I've gone back to old Polaramine, which you get generic here as Chlorpheniramine. You take it at night, sleep like a log, and then you are fit to face the day.

As for Kenalog, I had heard great things about how that gets rid of all symptoms, but my doctor refuses to give it to anyone - says it's poison.

I was also told I would probably outgrow hayfever, having started in my mid teens, but I've hit forty and it seems to be getting worse these last few years.

Ionto

Sexy Member
Media
You can also go to an allergist get tested (which doesn't hurt) they make little dots on your back and prick you with needles with different allergins and wait to see which you have a reaction to, if that doesn't work they do the subdermal injections on the back of your arms (those do not feel very nice at all.) I've had both I get a shot every two weeks. It's worth it now though because I don't have hayfever anymore.

Yes, I had that done as a teenager - turned out to be allergic to practically all pollens. Desensitization was a great help, but as someone else says, it probably wears off after a while.

I've found this season particularly bad, but it's been rainy these last few days, and that seems to settle the pollen.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, I had that done as a teenager - turned out to be allergic to practically all pollens. Desensitization was a great help, but as someone else says, it probably wears off after a while.

I've found this season particularly bad, but it's been rainy these last few days, and that seems to settle the pollen.

That is why I've been going once a week now:frown1: My Dr told me that anything that is pretty is ok and anything that grows and is ugly I'm allergic to. And I'm extremely allergic to dustmites. HORRIBLE. Any place with carpet normally gives me a headache, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. Animals I'm not allergic to at all. It might be worth it for you to do it again and get shots to help you build up a tolerance to the specific allergins.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I was young, I had a serious problem with hay fever from early August until late October. It included frequent sneezing spells, runny nose, and irritated eyes. Sometimes I'd awaken in the morning and couldn't open my eyes because my eye lashes were stuck together with dried tears. As I reached my late 20s, the problem gradually went away. When I was 40, I moved from Minneapolis to San Diego where the problem was very minor.

I still sometimes have very mild hay fever, but it's only a very minor problem.

Ionto

Sexy Member
Media
That is why I've been going once a week now:frown1: . It might be worth it for you to do it again and get shots to help you build up a tolerance to the specific allergins.

Might just do that for next year. I suppose it's only normal that the effects of the desensitization wear off after some time. But it must be a particularly bad year, as the symptoms are usually over by July.