HD TVs

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by denton85, Jan 10, 2010.

1. denton85

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I WAS responding to the BLURAY thread but then it evolved further so i decided to make a new thread.... so here we go... People

Don't get caught up with expensive HDMI cables. a group of kids for a university did a quick "study" by taking over the "monster cable" tv set up at a local store ( i want to say circuit city when they were around more, but i read this over 2 years ago ) they switched the signs so the viewer thought the monster cable set up was the worse cable, and then had the "better" side set up with the cheapest cable they can find online.

They found that people when they are told 1 looks better, will manifest the better quality they are told they should see.

(there of course some set ups where it IS obvious one looks better... that is because stores ruin 1 tv set by either not using HDMI cables and use composite of even coax ... i've seen it, and called it out on them... because it's dishonest and demanded it changed. nothing makes me more angry than a store trying to trick the consumer into buying a name brand by saying generic is crap)

Don't go out and buy crazy hdmi cables please.

---------------

If you have a 720P television (also known as a 1080i tv) DVDs are almost just as good for you. DVDs have a slightly higher resolution than regular analog signals (480i/p) They range from 720/704×480 (ntsc) or 720/704×576 (PAL).

If you have a simple upconvert DVD player it (especially with the PAL dvd) it will seem almost just as good as a 720P bluray showing.

---------------

TV Size

If you have a HD TV that is smaller than 32" you can deal WITHOUT 1080P ... the human eyes will not be able to distinguish the 300 lines of pixels in that small of an area (unless you are watching the TV close enough to give yourself laser eye surgery)

At 32" it's a toss up, people can tell if they are within 5 feet or for some tvs up to 10 feet of the tv (depending on the other TV specs)

I myself have a 32" TV that looks gorgeous.

If you have a TV that is 37 or 42 or anything larger... this is where 1080p will most certainly start to shine.

-------------------------

Contrast ratio. is VERY important.... if you are narrowing you choices for a TVs 1 way is to look for the TV with the most contrast ratio. It makes the brights look bright, and the dark look really dark, and all other things in between look good too. Although during sports you wont care much, and most TVs have a sports setting that turn off the dynamic contrast, and keep things bright and visible. However during movies, this is a big thing.

------------------

Hertz....

hertz is a big factor, and always has been. This is the 1 factor that has made plasmas look alot better than LCDs for so long. Basically this helps illuminate any motion blur that some people notice with HDTVs.

The new LED LCD tvs have a very high hertz (and contrast ratio) they are really closing the picture gap between plasmas and LCDs. The average LCD hertz WAS 60... the high end was up to 120. However now with the LED LCD tv they are at 240 hertz.

------------------------

now i don't want to confuse people ... many of you maybe thinking... if plasma looks better (and at this point much cheeper than the high end LED LCD tvs) why not get 1 of those...

well you can, and you will be happy for years with it. However plasma tvs have a ticking clock. It's like buying a TV with an expiration date. The "plasma" eventually will start "die out" and there is no way to replace it.

Don't get me wrong, LCDs will break down eventually too... but they tend to be the back lights that burn out... and those CAN be repaired... but that wont be for as many years (actually equivalent some say with plasmas)

also.... plasmas take up alot of power... and with the new energy star requirements coming out ever year, plasmas are barely getting buy. the new LED Lcds are taking up less and less power as they come out... and thats a good thing too. Less money on your power bill.

-----------------

What i would recommend?

If you have saved up for YEARS for a high def tv, and want the best of the best, and have the money to spend it... get a VERY new LED LCD tv with the highest hertz, and contrast ratio. This can be up to 2,000 easily maybe more. Get a high end bluray player, and enjoy your movies as you bath in money. lol

If you want to spend a BIT of your money, but you don't want to spend THAT much. Get a 42 inch LCD or plasma 1080p 120 hertz (plasma will be higher), high contrast ratio... and you should be under 1,000. (don't worry about name brand but u can if you want) You can get a cheeper bluray player and be fine really. they can be as cheep as 150 they will play videos just fine.

Now if you want a hi def tv and try to be cheaper about it.... like me and all my friends then do this....

find the no name brand TVs in the store. And actually look at them compared to the Name brand.

I bought a Dynex tv 32" 720p months back. It looks great after i adjusted the contrast ratio and brightness. It has no contrast ratio really but i just wanted it for the bed room, and not the living room.

Don't be afraid to buy the non name brands... but also... get the in store warranty. I got at best buy a 5 year warrenty on my tv for 50 bucks or so... cheep insurance really. This is currently in the living room, but i planned it to go to the bed room eventually. (I've been waiting for LED prices to go down.... lol)

Let your eyes in the store be the judge, not the name brand, and not the price. I saw this TV next to a sony tv to show the "difference" i couldn't see one... other than the 300 dollar difference. Remember to try to be even keeled.

Once upon a time Vizio was the no name brand, but was the cheapest. Millions of sales later they have BECAME a name brand.

Then get yourself a nice upscaling dvd player... or if you have a 360 or ps3 you are fine.

Get a cheap hdmi cable for everything u need.

2. lucky8

Gold Member

I just got a new Xbox Elite and the guy was sitting there trying to sell me special microsoft HDMI cables...I just laughed and told him to hand me the $30.00 generic cable...no difference whatsoever. It's braided wire, there's not much more that can be done to it to make any brand "better" than another brand.

And NEVER buy an open-box or show-room tv...no matter what kind of deal you're getting

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I agree.

There was a posting on another site and a guy worked in retail and they were selling a broken camera as is. They didn't tell people it was broken, but would tell them to return it to the manufacturer for warranty.

But, my first VCR was a display model Beta for $400 and it always worked fine.

4. Incocknito

Gold Member

Cool thread.

I myself have a 32" LCD TV I just got. The brand is Videocon, not well known where I live.

But its full HD, with a 20,000:1 contrast ratio and I think it was 450cd/m brightness.

I paid £300 which is <$300 for it brand new.

If you got a brand name one you're looking at at least £100 more just for the name.

I would have got an LED TV with the 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio but they're a bit out of my budget :tongue:

Technical specifications are what everyone should be looking at, not the brand name. The vital stats or contrast ratio, brightness and screen size.

I got a HDMI cable for £3. Does the job. HDMI is a digital interface so it either works or it doesn't work. There is no 'works better'.

5. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

there is a difference. the best tv's out there right now are samsung. get at lest 120 hertz, 240 even better. the higher the hertz the better the picture in motion.

6. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I bought a PS3 HDMI cable for 42 cents. :D

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd contest a lot of this. 720p and 1080i are not the same, at all. Nor is upconverting dvd just as good as blu-ray for a 720p tv, at all.

Etc., etc....

8. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just bought a Haier 32" TV for my bedroom, the contrast is 50,000:1 and I paid USD370 for it. I am quite happy with my purchase. Not the best, but it is a lot better than the 20" Cathode Ray Tube I was using!

9. denton85

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "I'd contest a lot of this. 720p and 1080i are not the same, at all. Nor is upconverting dvd just as good as blu-ray for a 720p tv, at all."

it's not the same, but 720p is 720 lines of pixels being progressively scanned.... THESE Televisions CAN put up 1080 "pixels" interlaced, but not progressively scanned.... this basically leads to ALOT of motion blurring. So unless you are watching scenery and nature shows all the time, you don't want to be in 1080i you'd rather be in 720p....

you can contest if you like...

10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree 720p is better than 1080i, but I don't think that's what your original post said.

Anyway.....:smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted