He says he doesn't celebrate Valentines Day

ladsonbehr49

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is my first year to have a boyfriend for Valentines Day. I always got one after or broke up with one before Valentines Day. Recently I have a boyfriend and i'm so excited. The other day he says "I dont celebrate Valentines Day just so you know" and I got sad. He hasn't been in a relationship since the 11th grade so even if he has had a gf for Valentines Day he hasn't had one as an adult. What should I say? I cant make him celebrate Valentines Day if he doesn't want to.

For the record....he isnt married, or cheating or......anything

he sounds cheap to me and on that day refrain from giving him any loving since he does not celebrate it and see what he sez....

ladsonbehr49

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I did celebrate valentines day with my late partner every year and every day and it was not about money. I would take him out for a special dinner not costing much and bought his favorite flower...a carnation and spent time with each other and every day was special. If a man cannot show his special love for the holiday, I think he is either j witness or cheap or does not know how to show his love.

B_cloverboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I never like just getting someone chocolate, flowers or any gift that is generic and without meaning. I got my roommate a bowl and some cereal for his birthday along with a few 4 leaf clovers I found, ridiculous to most people, but meaningful for my friend. Gifts should be given to show that you care, not simply to reach a status quo, that goes for any time of the year. Time and building joyful memories is often the best gift you can give someone, so why not try just spending time together on Valentines. :) Good luck and I wish you all the best!

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The thing I hate about VD is that most guys can just go throught he motions and buy a big heart-shaped box of chocolate and a bouquet of red roses, give his significant other a big kiss and wish her a happy standard commercial Valentines Day...and all is good. I think most would probably accept that as "appropriate and nice". Its expected. TV advertisements tell us so. I dont like Christmas for the same reason...its all a routine. Why should I fall in line with everyone else just because Hallmark and Cadbury tell me to?

I'd rather find our own day(s), outside of the commercial calendar, that we take time-out for each other on our own terms...and have a really special and unique time together. I would think that would show a significant other how you really feel...without falling into the insincerity and obligation of a standard commercial holiday.

Of course...I'm single...so I guess that's proof in the pudding that I'm off base. :rolleyes:

Wow, we should get married. This is exactly how I feel. Hate Hallmark. Give me a blank note card with something YOU wrote on it. I had an SO that would give me roses on birthday, anniversary, Valentine's. I told him you know my favorite flower (at the time is was bird of paradise) why don't you get me what I like instead of what the TV commercials tell you to buy?

D_Polyxena Pasties

Just Browsing
Media
Try to think of it as just another day. Seems like I'll be the odd man out here, but my boyfriend and I for the most part don't celebrate it ourselves. I mean, for the most part, we randomly do little things through out the year to keep the "romance" alive. We write little notes, he sends me flowers etc. We have Valentines day several times a year. So other than a "happy valentines baby" it's just another day. I had went to college for business management , and I took my degree into retail. Retail stores LOVE Valentines. It's a joke... we start putting the stuff out January 2nd. We know some pooor sap is going to pay $30 for a big stuffed bear that we paid maybe $8 for. Valentines day in *my opinion* is to help retail establishments make money. Granted, so are most hoildays, but to *me* this holds far less meaning than the others. But I can say, for those who do celebrate, try to buy from local shops.. Not places like Walmart. Support the "mom and pop" stores... because trust me, the other places are going to make a killing!

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Try to think of it as just another day. Seems like I'll be the odd man out here, but my boyfriend and I for the most part don't celebrate it ourselves. I mean, for the most part, we randomly do little things through out the year to keep the "romance" alive. We write little notes, he sends me flowers etc. !

maggie IS amazing, this is exactly how it should be

this is the way i work it with my mate too...we suprise each other without any obligatory official dates. too many guys show up for valentines day and then don't do shit the rest of the year thinking they got it covered because they performed on the day when it matters......

newsflash: it should matter every day if you really care.

vergax

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
good for him!

It is just a date that now has a tradition in half the world to do something special, just like Xmas etc. I am against them, because everyday if there are good emotions involved, can be a special day. That is my opinion.

Now, in your case, since you are an item, it can't be only his opinion (or mine if it was the case) we would need to agree something. Otherwise is just a dictatorship of a relationship :)

But I would try and convince you that is only a date created for the dumb masses who follow everything, if you still really want it and I want to see you happy before, during and after that "special day", then I would fake a VD for my partner.