Health & Fitness

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by pinkpineapples, Jun 20, 2011.

1. pinkpineapples

Albums:
    Firstly, I hope this is in the right topic area. Put it here because it's an "Appearance" issue? If not, please move as needed. ^_^

I would like to enlist the aid of anyone who knows more about exercising and health management or whatever you want to call it. Because I can't afford the trainers at my gym right now and I don't like any forums I've come across (except this one ^_^). Just want to make sure I'm on the right track?

Okay. So based upon my signature, you can see that I've been trying to better my health and fitness. I joined a gym back in April and so far I am down 11lbs and ~6.5% Body Fat (and that's IF the BF thing at the gym isn't off, but I think it is). So I'm currently at 170lbs & 13.6% (give or take). I know I can't expect to see it all fall off overnight. It's a one day at a time kinda deal. I goto the gym 5 days a week with 2 rest days.

**When it comes to the weights, I do 2-3 sets of 10 reps. There is a day of rest between weight training days! My current goal is to build lean muscle and tone, I can bulk later, if I'm not happy with my look**

Previous Workout Routine:

1 hour of basic cardio (treadmill, high incline, 3.8mph)
    30 mins of Fast Fit (machine based equipment, all muscle groups)

Then I moved to Interval Training:

30mins of Treadmill; 1min walk 3.8mph, 1min jog 5.5mph, 1min run 6.5mph; switching up the order for 20mins. w/ 5min warm up 5min cool down.
    30mins of Spin Bike; Interval setting, different resistances, speeds- based on what the machine tells me to do. Different workout each time. (Standing, Seated, Seated Climb, Standing Climb, etc)

Fast Fit training, increased weights.

Presently:

I'm doing the same thing as before, except I've cut my cardio down to 30mins. So one day I'll do the treadmill, one day the bike, one day the elliptical. That way its always different and I'm not killing myself in 1 day.

Followed by the weight training.

I have also adapted an ab routine I do every other day at home post-gym. Although I might start doing it there, I don't know yet.

I also jump in the pool occasionally. Do a few laps, swim around and whatnot. Good times.

I do try to keep my caloric intake reasonable. I don't track it, but I know that I do not go bonkerz. I doubt I even hit the 2000 mark most days. My funds are limited, but I do get healthier options. I don't drink soda. No potato chips. Nothing fried. I keep just about everything to serving size. Fruits when I can. Veggies here and there. Popcorn for snacking. I have a cheat day every now and then, once or twice a week. Cant cut it all out completely! lol Whole wheat breads, low fat cheese, down to 1% milk. (working on skim.....ugh) Eat more eggs, whole grain cereals...

I take a 1-A-Day Men's Multivitamin, Pro Edge & Whey Protein supplement powder (not everyday, just every now and then)

Sorry for the book. lol Any advice, ideas? Anything? Thanks!

*I'm attaching a couple of pics to show ME and what I'd like to achieve at some point. Something along the lines of these pics would be awesome*

~~ Okay, so LPSG is being quite unresponsive here lately, I can't upload the pictures as attachments. Takes forever to load anything too...I will put them in an album called "Workout Goal" and open to the public, so please check those for me!

2. pinkpineapples

Albums:
    Ok, Gonna upload the pics here. Should work now...I think.

#1-3 = Me
    #4 = Goal. A body like that would be awesome.

Attached Files:

3. monel

Gold Member

You are off on your % body fat. Anything around 11% and below is considered athletic. You certainly don't need to go as low as 5-6% and that would not be desireable. You need to increase your weight routine. More shoulder chest, back etc. Are you using free weights? Keep up the cardio to continue to burn fat. Your heading in the right direction be patient and don't slack off. Judging from where you are and where you want to be, it is a realistic goal and you will get there with dedication.

4. pinkpineapples

Albums:

Oh? Yeah, I doubt I'll get as low as 5-6%. More than likely stop myself around 9-10. I'm not doing free weights, as honestly, they make me nervous. Or in better terms, being down there not knowing what i'm doing around a bunch of guys that do, makes me nervous? lol i dunno. Hard to explain. I'm using what's called the Fast Fit, at my gym. It's a line of 'machines' for lack of a better term. Gotta sit down and you can adjust the weights there.

I've read some people don't like them, so far they do okay for me? Should I maybe do 2 rotations around instead of just the 1? 1 rotation consists of 2-3 sets of 10 (depending on my level of laziness that day lol) I don't want to overdo it or burnout or whatever. I'll bump it up though..

5. dcw4

dcw4 Member

dude you are hot~
    try P90x,, it worked miracles for me!!
    honest, it works and you can use thier program at the gym..
    fast results...

6. pinkpineapples

Albums:
    Thought about doing that or Insanity. Just dont have the $ for it right now. Maybe in a few months. My car battery just died on me and I had to dish out over $100 to replace it, SUCKED. Put other bills and whatnot on top of it and i'm tapped out! lol

Now if they offered a class similar to p90x or insanity, i'd be on that!

Oh, and thanks for the hot comment lol. =p

7. monel

Gold Member

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of alot of the machines that are out there; at least the ones that proport to be a substitute for free weights. I think free weights are more efficient and effective. It is not unusual to feel intimidated at the gym when you are first starting and unsure of what you're doing. We've all been there. However, you should know that really nobody is paying much attention. You can also learn alot from watching the routines of some of the more knowledgeable guys. In addition, most guys will be willing to show you how to do a particular exercise if you ask.

Though your stated goal is to lower your overall body weight, what you really want to do is increase muscle mass while reducing body fat. This "swap" will give you the lean, defined look that you desire.

Here is a routine that I like. It is not overly aggressive and explains each of the exercises. Bodybuilding.com - Gain 10 Pounds In 100 Days!

8. D_Choad Lowe

D_Choad Lowe New Member

i believe bodyweight exercises are much better than all that gym stuff.

all you need is a pullup bar and a rope.

9. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I did free weights for years along with running. My gym membership lapsed when I was slammed at colllege, and I turned into a couch potato. I've been into cycling for 6 years, but hadn't done anything for upper body. Back in October, I joined a gym and got back into it. The machines are good to get those muscles going. As my capability has increased, I've moved certain exercises from the machines to the free weights. I could be a little leaner than I am, yet am glad to seee the muscle definition return.

By exercising and eating properly, we point ourselves in the direction of health and fitness. It's worth the effort.

10. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    I'm a certified Fitness Trainer, and what I would suggest is really increase your weight routine. You only need about an hour to an hour and half of cardio each week. Plus I would go on some sort of muscle gainer, which is a combination of carbs, protein, and creatine. I would also supplement your diet with some sort of protein powder. For abs, I would start increasing the intensity at which you do lower abs. To get lower abs trained I would used the roman chair.

11. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    If you need some help, here's what I do at the gym.
    Mon:
    Shoulder press (45lb dumbells 4 sets 6-10 reps)
    Preacher curls (35lb dumbells 5 sets 6-10 reps)
    Lateral deltoid raises (40 lbs 5 sets of 10-12 reps)
    Upright rows (70 lb ez bar 5 sets 8-10 reps)
    Sliding bicep curl (60 lb ez bar 4 sets 6 reps)
    Neutral grip bicep curl (30 lbs dumbells 5 sets 8-10 reps)
    Tues:
    Hanging leg raises (pull up bars 4 sets of 10)
    Roman chair leg raises (straight leg 3 sets 20-40 reps)
    Roman chair leg raises (bent leg 2 sets of 20-40 reps)
    Incline sit ups (incline bench 5 sets of 10-30 reps each)
    Pull ups (3-5 sets of 8-12 reps)
    Lat pull down (140 lbs 5 sets 8-10 reps)
    Seated row (160 lbs 5 sets 8 reps)
    deltoid fly (130 lbs 5 sets 8-12 reps)
    Wed:
    Back squat (175 lbs 5 sets of 10 reps)
    Leg press (180 lbs 5 sets 12 reps)
    Deadlift (135 lbs 5 sets 6-10 reps)
    Bench press (45 lbs dumbells 5 sets 8-10 reps)
    Pectoral fly (140 lbs 5 sets 6-10 reps)
    Tricep dips (5 sets of 5-20 reps)
    Tricep extension (4-5 sets of 8-12 reps)
    Thurs:
    Cardio day 1 hour
    Fri:
    Rest
    Saturday:
    Repeat abs workout
    Sunday:
    Rest

You may need to adjust the weight as needed for your body, and that is fine. I have been doing this workout since January and I have gained 10 lbs. of muscle, and I am currently 6.5% body fat. If you want to see what I look like feel free to look at my pictures. Please keep in touch with me on LPSG because I would love to see your progress.

12. pinkpineapples

Albums:
    Yep, just takes some time. Def worth it though.

Okay, I'll def do that. More muscley goodness!

Yeah, you're like...gorgeous in every aspect. lol it's def working for you. I'm getting ready to leave for the gym now so I'll stick to my reg routine as I don't have time to learn and adapt to a new one right now. I'll see about moving to the free weights in a couple days, perhaps...

I'll really have to look up how to do everything, I don't wanna look like a fool! lol Could hire a trainer for the day or something...show me what to do. I dunno, we'll see! Gotta run!

13. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

anyone have a link for insanity workout?

14. Jathe

Jathe New Member

Albums:
    scoobysworkshop.com

He seems to know what he's talking about, and theres a great community!

Draft saved Draft deleted