Health insurance canceled because of 2 cent underpayment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FRE, Jan 27, 2011.

1. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    It's out right criminal what is going on with ins co's. I got an 35% increase on my property ins because I was robbed. I am also a vet and disabled, but they don't care nor does your rep,sen or gov, or president. There is no where to turn for help either.

I hope the issue can be resolved because if going to a VA center is the other option, then death could be the other result. I had to transfer out of the VA [alvin york], in Murfreesboro Tn because they made reckless decissions causing me seizures and they did their best to cover it up.

Soon we will be doing what is going on in Egypt, it will be a must.

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    No, a revolution isn't necessary. Abuses like this will be stopped by the Health Care Law:
    "
    The recently passed health care law — which congressional Republicans are unanimously trying to repeal — includes a whole host of protections that would rein in the ability for health insurers to drop patients for frivolous reasons like this. If Republicans are successful, these protections would disappear.
    However, in the long run, it’s worth noting that one of the best ways to prevent the situation that the Flanagans are in is to offer them access to a public, not-for-profit system like Medicare, which has a higher approval rating than private insurance, runs more efficiently than any private insurer, and that most Americans want to be able to join."
    ThinkProgress

4. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I failed to renew my Blue Advantage health insurance by December 31st., and had to go with a different insurer. What a mess! I had been with Blue Cross/Blue Shield for thirty years.

I really believe the government wants us to die.

5. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    Problem is I'm sure the insurance companies will weasel around many of the protections, just as credit card companies and banks did when legislation was passed to stop them. They simply raised fees and interest rates and laughed at everyone.

6. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm sure you're right.

Experience shows that it is impossible to enact such extensive legislation and get it exactly right on the first attempt. It will have to be amended over a period of years to deal with all the loop holes and unintended consequences. It is only a start.

7. cruztbone

Gold Member

This is why we need government control over the insidious corporation, and why private sector health insurance is a FAILURE.

8. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    It need not be a failure. According to what I've read, Germany has private health insurance which people are required to buy. It may not be the best way, but it seems to work.

9. MikeBD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A healthcare system cannot work in a capitalist market. in order for capitalism to work people need to make informed choices that lead into the best situation for the individual. Unless every citizen spends seven years to study medicine we are really helpless when it comes to choosing our own medical treatment. We do not barter down prices or shop around for heart transplants we go by the hearsay of other people just as untrained in the medical field as we are.

Add in the pressure from insurance companies and now we are looking a system that simply favors cheaper prices and treatments that limit cost as much as possible. This is how we get stories like the one above. To make a profit insurance companies must deny coverage for any reason they can in hopes that people wont fight back. In their eyes mental health is just a money pit and isn't worth the time. years ago they would pay for something like 90 days to try to help the people with mental health issues now i think its down to 3 days. Without a standard or some sort of regulation the health insurance companies rule the market not the doctors not the sick people the health insurance companies.

To sum everything up the Average person simply isnt smart enough to make the right choice in terms of medical care. This lack of know how takes away the consumers power in the capitalist market. Without medical training we are left to choose plans based on cost leaving us in a system does nothing to advance our health and well being and plenty to make a profit for a select few.

10. maxcok

Gold Member

. . . unless you're healthy and wealthy enough for the healthcare industry to reap 30% profits off of you.

Fixed that for ya.

11. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    With all the bickering that goes on in DC do we know how long all this health care will take. I'd say a decade, just like the fed budget cuts. I expect nothing from the gov, just like I expect nothing from the VA. Just more cover ups, lies, big profits for corps and the great elected officals still playing games with our lives for decades to come.

If we demand our leaders to step down by protesting will we be killed like the people in Egypt, I bet so...Our leaders are no different than any other.

ViVa Revolution!

12. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

For the record....I'm neither Democratic nor Republican. I go for the person...not the party.

13. john2181

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Okay let me start by saying this.... That company needs to be avoided and the company needs to fire who ever made that dumb ass move.

Second- For those of you that are wanting the GOVERNMENT to step it and save them... STOP FU**ING ASKING THE GOVERNMENT TO GIVE YOU EVERYTHING. Its shit like people wanting government handouts that is the cause of the 1.5 trillion dollar deficit. We NEED smaller government, and yes we do need some regulation or possible legal cap to limit some corporations that just want to take every penny.

I am a veteran as well as a former correctional officer for a private company. That company had the crappiest medical coverage they could get, it was probably the cheapest too. I am not expecting the Government to cover me for the rest of my life.

My last thought is what company these days doesn't just take your premium out of your income and call it good? I will keep this company in mind and avoid them if I ever get the opportunity to use them.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Stop with the outrageously exaggerated, disingenuous statement. Nobody is asking the government to give them everything.

15. FleshlightMouth

Gold Member

Albums:
    In Germany, there is mandatory health insurance from a variety of choices, but it need not be the "private" option. Here is a comprehensive presentation of the German healthcare system (which is basically the same as in most European countries).

How To Germany - Health Insurance Options in Germany

16. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    I don't think are asking the gov to give us anything except what we worked for and made contracts with. Such as being a vet we made a contract with them and they should honor it as i honored my half. i paid into ss and they should honor that along with the cost of living each year.

now all ss and disability pay is on a freeze for two years. millions of retired and disabled will fall behind and never get caught up. millions of them are selling their houses and many have no where to go. Of course this is never talked about on the news or with our great leaders.

they just don't give a dam, none of them.

17. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Three things...

One, they don't want you to do die, unless you're more profitable to them that way.

Two, it's not the government who is eager to put you under to get ahead, it's the rich people who control the government.

Three, I'm being sincere, not sarcastic.

18. maxcok

Gold Member

Then no doubt you are discriminating and informed enough to know which persons from which party are working in your best interests and working in the best interests of Americans overall. No doubt you are discriminating and informed enough to know which persons from which party are in the pocket of Big Medicine and have been blocking Healthcare reform every step of the way, spreading misinformation and propaganda about "government takeovers" and "death panels", giving lip service, pandering, speaking in empty platitudes and spouting party line talking points designed to manipulate an uninformed and gullible electorate. And no doubt you are discriminating and informed enough to know which persons from which party (hint, virtually everyone in one party) have gone on record wanting to repeal the entire Healthcare Act and return total unrestricted control to the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. Right?

Some of them give a very big damn, but you have to educate yourself and cut through the party line rhetoric and propaganda to figure out who they are. See comment above.

Many of the provisions have been enacted already, and most of the rest are set to roll out over the next three years, unless the Republicans are able to repeal, defund and/or block them, as is their stated mission.

Here are some links to get you started on informing yourself:

Healthcare Reform's Timeline for Roll-out

Health care reform

The system will never work effectively for patients, costs will never be contained, and the powerful influence of health insurance and drug companies will never be diminished UNLESS AND UNTIL there is a not-for-profit government supervised system (a la Medicare) to compete directly with Big Medicine and their lobbyists, drastically diminishing the out of control profit motive in the system.

In short, we, the people, need and we want a single-payer system to compete with corporate greed.

No doubt they'll really take notice if and when you as a single individual do that. :rolleyes: Not to mention the alternatives, i.e. other for-profit insurance companies are pretty much all just as bad, and your choices are limited by a whole host of factors, not the least of which is cost. Plus, don't you get coverage through the VA?

Nonetheless, MikeBD raised some excellent points relevant to patient choice in his post above.

:confused: As a veteran aren't you given VA medical coverage by the government for the rest of your life? Plus, what was your alternative and who did you have to turn to when you had the "crappiest medical coverage" from your former employer? God forbid your government would take an interest in your problem and the same problem shared by hundreds of millions of other Americans. :rolleyes:

p.s. The 1.5+ trillion dollar (and growing) deficit is not due to "government handouts", but I'm not going to bother getting into that here. Instead, why don't you start by turning off the Fux "news" and the propaganda and blather machine on rightwing talk radio and get some actual credible information.

#18 maxcok, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted