Health issue?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Abraham Slinkin, Jan 31, 2011.

1. D_Abraham Slinkin

D_Abraham Slinkin Account Disabled

I have a health issue - but my doctor keeps fobbing me off saying there's nothing medically wrong with me - but I'm not buying it.

My symptoms:
    • Sudden lethargy / energy level swings
    • Horrendous stomach pains / heartburn if I don't eat something every few hours
    • Headaches
    • Sinking feeling when sitting down
    • Sometimes when I stand up I go light-headed, vision fades, and on occasion I faint (without losing conciousness though)

I have had countless blood tests which state I'm fine. Blood sugars normal, I don't have mono etc.
    So what could it be?
    Diet is healthy so it's not an Iron / Nutrient deficiency

Diabetes does run in my family, but my blood tests say I don't have it.
    Anemia tests came back negative.

It comes and goes, some weeks I'm fine, others I'm awful, this week is particularly bad, really bad headaches and I feel like I'm going to pass out at any moment.
    Anyone got any ideas? People with similar symptoms? Any Doctors on here?

Any help is appreciated,

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Off the top of my head I think you have acid reflux and an inner ear infection.
    I would see another doctor and get another opinion.

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I say get a second opinion, it never hurts and your doctor is there to listen to you and take care of you.

To my knowledge the most accurate way for your physician to test your sugar is to run an A1C which actually looks at your sugar overtime vs the standard glucose test.

There are a lot of things that can cause the symptoms you have. First thing I would suggest is making sure you are eating at regular intervals and not skipping meals or snacks.

4. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd get a second opinion too. Could be what used to be referred to as "soldier's heart" (i.e. DaCosta's syndrome or neurocirculatory asthenia.)

Best to make sure by ruling out all other possibilities.

5. mexdude

mexdude New Member

Albums:
    Yea see another doctor

6. D_Mona Samore

D_Mona Samore Account Disabled

I can't think of anything that takes all those symptoms into one thing. But, getting lightheaded when standing is usually from your blood pressure dropping. Are you dehydrated? Does your heart race at times?

7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have to be very persistent. Go to someone else and get another opinion

8. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Your symptoms suggest low blood pressure or low blood sugars to me.

The thing is, if it's something that comes and goes, it won't be reflected in your results from your doctor. For instance, if you are having drops in blood sugar levels, it won't show up in a finger prick test at your doctor's office (because it reflects your blood sugars at that moment), but nor will it show up in a HbA1c test (because it reflects your average blood sugars over the last three months).

I would advise buying a blood sugar monitoring kit (although it could be pricey) and testing your blood during your 'episodes'.

9. DasLeezard

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're pregnant.

10. mexdude

mexdude New Member

Albums:
    :lmao:

11. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well first make sure you are eating right, drinking enough water, sleeping enough, not doing drugs, etc etc etc, all the normal usual things.

Then if it still carries on, make sure you get more than one opinion, and do some research on a site like webmd or something. I think your symptoms are fairly vague enough to be just about anything...the stomach pains is the one I'd key in on. If you haven't made any substantive changes in what/when/how much you eat, what might be causing that?

12. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It could be a number of things. Try eliminating one thing at a time from your usual diet to see if it's a food sensitivity or allergy. Heartburn if you don't eat also sounds like you could be getting the beginnings of a stomach ulcer. Eat cultured foods such as yogurt or sauerkraut, and make sure you drink plenty of plain water, boiled or cold doesn't matter.

If you exercise regularly, be certain you warm up and cool down in good order before and after. And if you don't take up walking.

13. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Get a second opinion. Could be hormones.

14. D_Abraham Slinkin

thanks for all your replies.

After going to a different doctor today, they're getting some more blood tests done.
    He also said that I could be underweight? But with a BMI of 20, I thought I was in the healthy range.

He's also told me to make sure I get exactly 8 hours sleep and not much more/less every night. I'm also taking it on my self to eliminate caffeine to see if that helps.

Personally I think it's blood sugars. Diabetes runs in my family and my mum was diabetic whilst she was pregnant with me - I feel worse in the morning when I wake up (8 hours with no food), then get my next energy drop/feinting episode at around 11.30/12 (3 hours after breakfast). But doctors know best eh.

15. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    The fainting sensation suggests hypoglycemia to me. I sometimes get the same thing right about three hours after breakfast. Basically it's a situation where your pancreas overreacts to sugar intake resulting in a blood sugar drop. When this happens a few sips of a sugared drink alleviates the symptom in several minutes. I try to avoid large amounts of sugar over a short amount of time.
    Dave

#15 Dave NoCal, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  16. D_Abraham Slinkin

I very very rarely eat sugar - I never add sugar to anything nor eat processed foods.

17. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Two things to try then. You could buy (or borrow) a monitoring kit, as I suggested earlier, or you could try eating a little more often, certainly if you start feeling faint. Try keeping some food beside your bed and eat a little as soon as you wake up.

There are actually several different kinds of hypoglycaemia. Reactive, the kind you have described, is only one of the types.

Draft saved Draft deleted