Healthcare proposal: no fixes; just more entitlements

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As someone who has been driven to bankruptcy and near-destitution by the loss of his private health insurance, I am cautiously optimistic that we'll have some form of universal access to insurance in the not-too distant future.

Anyone who has found himself diagnosed with a condition that precludes any hope of private insurance and who has been forced into indigence in order to qualify for means-tested care (tests, treatment and medications), I have a stake in how this plays out.

The draconian eligibility criteria for obtaining the services required to continue living forced me into a cruel and unnecessary choice: I was unable to afford both my car and my rent. As sleeping in my car was not an option, I went with the latter, which limited my job options. Those options that remained to me were such that my 30+ years career became entirely irrelevant, and I went from managing a furniture store to folding jeans in the space of weeks. And any hope of regaining my career was cut off not just because I no longer had the means to get myself to and from a better job, but because any money I'd hope to earn would have cut me off from the meds required to keep me alive.

Aside from the inevitable depression that such a situation would engender and allow to fester, the irony that my tax contribution was cut by 3/4 (or more) has never escaped me. I take subsistence jobs not because I want to (I find them an appalling waste of time and talent), but because I'm required to.

Making insurance available to me would change my life, make me more productive and boost my self-esteem (as well as being able to contribute more to society), but as of now my hands are completely tied.

And, just for the record, in 2008 I earned about 110% of the Federal Poverty Line (less than most of the members here pay in taxes altogether), and still paid taxes. My Federal taxes were about $350. Florida has no income tax, but it does have a sales tax from which I am not exempt (no complaint, just an iteration of the tax burden shouldered by everyone): where the uninformed got their information about the poor not paying taxes is beyond me. It's a cruel lie.

Were I to have access to private health insurance, I could easily find a job (even in these tough times) that would pay three to four times what I earned last year. The means-testing required by the state holds me down tremendously, but I frankly have no alternative.

What we need is a program that allows me to buy-in despite my pre-existing condition(s): a risk that purely private enterprise currently finds unduly burdensome.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As someone who has been driven to bankruptcy and near-destitution by the loss of his private health insurance, I am cautiously optimistic that we'll have some form of universal access to insurance in the not-too distant future.

Anyone who has found himself diagnosed with a condition that precludes any hope of private insurance and who has been forced into indigence in order to qualify for means-tested care (tests, treatment and medications), I have a stake in how this plays out.

The draconian eligibility criteria for obtaining the services required to continue living forced me into a cruel and unnecessary choice: I was unable to afford both my car and my rent. As sleeping in my car was not an option, I went with the latter, which limited my job options. Those options that remained to me were such that my 30+ years career became entirely irrelevant, and I went from managing a furniture store to folding jeans in the space of weeks. And any hope of regaining my career was cut off not just because I no longer had the means to get myself to and from a better job, but because any money I'd hope to earn would have cut me off from the meds required to keep me alive.

Aside from the inevitable depression that such a situation would engender and allow to fester, the irony that my tax contribution was cut by 3/4 (or more) has never escaped me. I take subsistence jobs not because I want to (I find them an appalling waste of time and talent), but because I'm required to.

Making insurance available to me would change my life, make me more productive and boost my self-esteem (as well as being able to contribute more to society), but as of now my hands are completely tied.

And, just for the record, in 2008 I earned about 110% of the Federal Poverty Line (less than most of the members here pay in taxes altogether), and still paid taxes. My Federal taxes were about $350. Florida has no income tax, but it does have a sales tax from which I am not exempt (no complaint, just an iteration of the tax burden shouldered by everyone): where the uninformed got their information about the poor not paying taxes is beyond me. It's a cruel lie.

Were I to have access to private health insurance, I could easily find a job (even in these tough times) that would pay three to four times what I earned last year. The means-testing required by the state holds me down tremendously, but I frankly have no alternative.

What we need is a program that allows me to buy-in despite my pre-existing condition(s): a risk that purely private enterprise currently finds unduly burdensome.

Do they ever have open enrollment in Florida?

Bbucko, you should be filing for the earned income credit. You'll actually get a sizeable refund - over $1200. If you didn't file that way, amend your return and get the refund.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Do they ever have open enrollment in Florida?

It depends on the company's specific plan, and there is nothing that compels employers of any size to offer open-enrollment group health to the people whom they depend on to make the company function. Florida's "right to work" safeguards are 100% in favor of the employer, not the people who make the magic happen every day.

I have a close friend/former co-worker who was subjected to an 18-month waiting list for pre-existing conditions within his group health plan (he's diabetic): they charged him over $500 per month for a plan that didn't cover his needs in order to eventually get what he needs.

His option was to move back in with his mother (at the age of 47) so that he could afford to self-pay the insulin and testing supplies. I don't have that option, but even if I did, self-payment is not an option. The bloodwork I require every 3-4 months costs over $2100, and the meds cost at least that every month.

Bbucko, you should be filing for the earned income credit. You'll actually get a sizeable refund - over $1200. If you didn't file that way, amend your return and get the refund.

Oh, I did use the EIC. That's why I paid $350 and not the $1500 that was deducted. Just to make sure, I verified my return with my roommate, was was as mystified as anyone else that the smear of a "tax-free" low-income electorate.

Again: I wish I had the chance to pay higher taxes as that would mean earning enough to really survive on my own. The fact that we had all bought into that talking point (myself included) struck me. The working poor most definitely pay taxes: perhaps if I had a dependent or two, it might have been different for me. I don't know.

But getting back to the OP: if the private sector could/would provide insurance for those who can still work despite pre-existing conditions, then government involvement wouldn't be required. But since it can't, I really don't see any real alternative.

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Talking about bringing down healthcare cost, how about START by taking BETTER CARE of our health

We only have ONE body, there really is nothing wrong to keep it in good shape

Sometimes complex things need simple solutions