Hearing something chewing in the kitchen...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dorian_Gray, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok, so I'm sitting in my bedroom on the laptop and I hear this chewing sound in the kitchen. So I creep down the hall and kinda peek over in the floor of the pantry, and low and behold there is a rat eating a hole in my dog's biscuit bag. The funny thing is... the rat was trying to get into a bag that was no more than 5in away from the little "sonic rodent repeller" thing I got at Lowes by Victor. I saw the name "Victor" on it so I figured it would be at least half way decent... but it did absolutely nothing to this rat... although it could have been deaf I suppose... but then again I just don't know. So I've officially declared myself the "bearjew" and the rats are my Nazis.:drillsergeant: I tried the "humane" approach but I'm done with that now. Anyone else having an unusual amount of rodent problems this winter??

2. D_Deceptivus Wrongpeter

Yes, I get more rat/mice activity in winter, especially in my cellar. I have heard that the sonic devices don't work very well and even if they did, they just push the vermin into another part of the house.

I use old fashioned bow spring traps. I feel that they are the most humane option available because they kill instantly. I will not use gummy traps because they are inhumane, and I won't use poison because the rat dies behind the wall and now you have a different kind of problem.

3. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Had to learn that one the hard way... He ate the poison, then fell down the heating duct-work and I had to cut the duct open and get it out then replace the part that I cut off, so I ended up spending about 40 bucks to kill one rat.:mad:

4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. Ed69

Gold Member

I sneek up on em with a blow gun!If you put the dart through a lung or the heart they don't go far.The bow spring traps are what I use when I don't feel the urge to play Rambo.

6. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo

None at all actually and I live in a Very old very drafty house . We have a mice issue every summer but never had problems with rats .
    I have humane traps I use to catch them cause I feel they have as much right to be on this planet as I do just NOT IN MY HOME lol .
    The traps catch them and seals the door off once they are in but they can still breathe .Then I go out into the field and release them somewhere. I thought about getting the deivce you mentioned but I was afraid it might hurt the mices ears or even my dogs .

HH

7. Flashy

Gold Member

I watched a horrifying documentary on the Discovery Channel the other night called "Ratzilla"...and let me tell you, i learned quite a bit of frightening facts about Rats and what they can do!

this was just a preview

Ratzilla: Norway Rats : Video : Discovery Channel

let me tell you, i used to walk my retriever at night, and we would go over by the east river on to the pedestrian walk there, and she would freeze, and be scared whenever we would see a cat sized rat run across on occasion.

they can knaw through metals, concretes, brick etc....they breed so fast it is amazing...

i would *HIGHLY* recommend watching the ratzilla documentary on Discovery Channel

wretched vermin...they can even come up through your toilet.

8. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually me too. This place is close to about 100 years old, and they only come out in the winter. I also have about 50 acres of nothing but pasture land where I harvest hay every year, so I know that I won't ever run out of rats/mice. I think the rats/mice just know where to come to get a wholesome meal and stay warm.... too bad for them.

9. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend to use live traps and remove the offending creature several miles down the road. In the warm months, there is little activity. But when it chills down, the rats don't bother to knock.

If you have mice, you don't have rats.

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Oh how true. One time marsh rats got in our garage behind some lumber. My dad put out poison. They died back there. Ewwww imagine something as big as a chihuahua rotting in your garage.

11. Captain Elephant

Captain Elephant Active Member

Albums:
    Maybe your rat friend was deaf?

When I lived in Atlanta I had a problem with mice. There was this Exterminator Store where amateurs could get tips and products from the pros. Told them I had mice. He asked if I had seen the droppings, and I told him yes. He showed me mice droppings and I told him that's not what I saw. Then he showed me rat droppings, and sure enough, it was the big guys.

Spring-loaded was the way to go unless I lived by a pond. Some of the poison makes them dehydrated and they seek water. Too many times they're trying to get the water from your pipes buried deep within your walls.

Haven't had too much of a problem down here... yet.

12. catman

Gold Member

Once lived in a home near a large pond- we had wharf rats (scary looking monsters) they would come in thru pipes in the walls, had bodies that could bend into the most amazing (and scary) places...had a neighbor find droppings in her babies CRIB...scary.

Exterminator told me to mix 1/3 part sugar, 1/3 part salt, 1/3 part plaster of paris.

The sugar attracts the rat, the salt makes the rat thirsty, the plaster sets up once the rats drinks water....problem solved... as inhumane as it sounded I would rather they die in the lake, not a wall...

13. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's quite possibly the most creative one I've heard yet! I like it! lol... True story... I was at a friends house by a local creek when I was about 12, and when we went into his kitchen here in the middle of the floor was this GIANT rat! I think it was a wharf rat like you described... it was as big as a damn cat! Kid you not... it was NOT scared of me or my friend but I can tell you I sure as hell was and went screaming into the bathroom and locked my friend on the other side of the door...lol... it was like one of those scenes out of a horror movie. Only if I could go back in time and watch myself, I'd probably laugh so hard I couldn't walk for a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted