Heart-to-heart with Invisi.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dear LPSG--

I understand that some don't like Obama. I understand that some don't want to allow gay couples to marry.

I want to say that I know that the economy MUST be pretty bad in order to argue back and forth over a lot of nothing. It sounds like one BIG Michael Savage/Rush Limbaugh rant sandwich. It doesn't make sense. And it is all sensationalism.

I wish that sometimes people could just look and listen at how you do and what you say. Argue. Politics.:rolleyes: A bunch of people confounding each other with a bunch of nothing.

Sometimes I wish I were God with a remote control. I would mute and freeze all of you for ten years. No fights. No wars.
No bitching. Nothing.

I understand you more than you think. It is easy to argue with each other instead of our situations in life. We have some real serious life matters.

I wouldn't know what it is to be some racist white guy. I wouldn't know what it is to be a straight black guy. I don't know. I only see things as a single gay black man.

Why shouldn't a man of color (or EVEN a woman/gay/single person/able challenged person be President? Why shouldn't gay people get married? Why is our economy like it is? Why is it that Americans have gotten so territorial over things? We don't EVEN treat ourselves right. It is sad in these times that we EVEN can't EVEN see our point of view...and leave it be.

Life. Liberty. Pursuit of happiness are abstractions. Nothing is clearly defined. Isn't that a good idea? Do you want those things clearly defined for you? Americans should be able to have a life how they realize it to be. If I as a gay man born and bred American...want to live life with a man I love, for marriage--for none, go to church or not have a belief...then that is what I realize...not what any other may think of or want. Should I as a minority follow the majority opinion because they have a majority say? No. My voice still is valid.

My life is probably shit in comparison. But it is my life. I have difficult times like anyone else here. I have had some remarkable blessings like anyone else here. I have made a lot of bad decisions. I have made some good ones, too. I still sleep well at night.

I am sorry that we are in such weird times. I didn't create any of this. I hope that somehow you can work through your hurt. I hurt too. I am not trying to tell anyone how to live their life. I can only live mine. I can tell you it isn't a life of Christian conservatism and confounderance. I am spiritual. If I have a problem, I ask people questions. If I don't understand after getting the responses, then that is me.

Maybe we all can be the Americans we were meant to be not by anyone's realization but our own truths. If we are different...so what? We have some other things in common. Something.

I don't know if what I wrote meant anything to you peeps. But at least, I put it out there in cyberspace for you to ponder a bit.

Thanks.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I Love you ,I!

THat was a wonderful and heartfelt letter. My answer to your question is... I dont know what is wrong with us. I think it may be fear. Fear of being left without when the game of musical chairs stops and everyone gets a seat but me. It is a shame that we tend to tear down instead of building up one another....

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thanks for sharing that. I agree, there is a lot of hurt out there and confusion and fear. But there is hope too. Wonderful, amazing and live evolving hope. 66 million people voted for Obama and that is hope. Prop8 got defeated but by a lesser margin than before and while that was happening another state has opened its doors to same sex marriage. The debates can be cruel and annoying sometimes, but they are also necessary. People should have voices, people should vent, people should be educate, people should challenge and people should grow. If everyone was complacent, no one would change. Discontent allows us the opportunity to change such that more people enjoy more freedom, more respect, more options, better health, more love and more control over their own destiny. It can be a thrilling ride if you stay focused on your path and remember you can't appreciate the good without triumphing over the bad. It's happening.

And you're not alone...

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Great post Indi :wink: I think we all get carried away in our social issues and causes and it can be shameful at times. We are just Human and can't help our behavior. what I hate is when people presume to know and judge you for your beliefs. I was raised religiously. Now I have come to believe a lil differently than what religion I was raised with but I still believe In God and the Bible. Some things are just hard to change in people. I don't have answers. But I do try to understand where people are coming from. I take pride in that. I wish we all could live in that Utopian society we all dream of. But with Man's nature I know that will never happen. So when I express some of my views don't hate me for that. Just try to understand where I am coming from. I mean well as we all do. We all can be afraid change and the unknown.

Last edited:

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
We are just Human and can't help our behavior.
*snip*
I mean well as we all do.

actually, our behavior is the one thing we truly CAN control...

also, some people do NOT mean well...some people derive a perverse pleasure from making mean-spirited, inflammatory, hateful statements...

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

also, some people do NOT mean well...some people derive a perverse pleasure from making mean-spirited, inflammatory, hateful statements...
Yea your right. But I was speaking in generalities and wishful thinking. Not all people mean right. :disappointed:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Very well said. Thank you for your candid thoughts and ideas that many may have lost sight of or never considered before. I think that the majority of arguments here and in the world stem from the fact that people either don't want to realize that we all have more in common than we have differences and I think that scares the hell out of most people, because of the belief system that they were raised with or adapted.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can appreciate the OP. However, I think debating politics keeps the mind sharp and is one way to keep up with current events and the makeup of our government, as well as a healthy exchange of ideas.

Malicious personal attacks are no good, but I don't see a lot of that here.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can appreciate the OP. However, I think debating politics keeps the mind sharp and is one way to keep up with current events and the makeup of our government, as well as a healthy exchange of ideas.

Are you kidding? The reports to the moderators were ringing like a pin ball machine leading up to the recent election.

D

deleted3782

...I think debating politics keeps the mind sharp and is one way to keep up with current events and the makeup of our government, as well as a healthy exchange of ideas.
I think discussion and exchange of ideas is healthy, but when people become polarized and rant just to promote their point of view for the sake of promoting their personal political flavor, I tune out.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you kidding? The reports to the moderators were ringing like a pin ball machine leading up to the recent election.

:eek: Ouch...really? Wow, I didn't realize that. I figured, being a conservative, that I was the recipient of as many questionable remarks as anyone, but its never been enough to report anyone.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Also thoughts for consideration are how the current president was treated and some insight and understanding as to how the future president will be treated. Food for thought given in hopes of showing respect for the many different opinions on here.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

For the most part, yes. A few people can't... those who are severely mentally ill. But the majority of us can.

Hmmm.... you must've visited my hometown! :biggrin1: (Or maybe just spent too much time in the Politics forum here! :biggrin1:) I hate arguing politics so I just keep quiet for the most part, and I'm also very nonconfrontational, although I have not always been so. When I was younger I got a little hot under the collar about this stuff and spoke out - and got BASHED by nearly everyone I knew in return... which is why I'm so nonconfrontational now. I still get hot under the collar, but I keep it all inside now.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If you really want to keep your mind sharp, learn another language. There's nothing quite as intellectually challenging as being disciplined enough to thoroughly conquer a second or third language after the age of 18. Try it sometime. Even your ability to do long division without a calculator will improve. And imagine the added benefit of being able to understand the politics of a person from a foreign country without having to second guess incorrectly exactly how they think and what motivates them.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you really want to keep your mind sharp, learn another language. There's nothing quite as intellectually challenging as being disciplined enough to thoroughly conquer a second or third language after the age of 18. Try it sometime. Even your ability to do long division without a calculator will improve. And imagine the added benefit of being able to understand the politics of a person from a foreign country without having to second guess incorrectly exactly how they think and what motivates them.

Fair suggestion. Recommendation?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I think that's a great idea! I'm trying to learn another language but I get sidetracked with work. :biggrin1:

Fair suggestion. Recommendation?

I'd say that learning ANY other language can keep your mind sharp. The most practical "second language" for those of us who are English speakers and live in the US would be Spanish (which is the one I'm trying to learn - I took it in high school but have forgotten a LOT, although I do know a few words...)

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Thats my problem; I love to argue/debate way to much :08: My way of debating is based logical point of thinking. Common sence if you may. At least to me it seems logical. :smirk: