Hearts and Minds?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
It is my hope that this won't degenerate into a silly slanging match.

Do you think that the US and the West will ever win Hearts and Minds in the Middle East?

My feeling is that we/you never will and therefore any military action there is probably doomed to failure in the long/medium term. This suggests to me that we should be looking for alternative stratgeies to the old "we'll nuke you", "kick your ass" options.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Is George achieving this with his Israel trip?

As a European Brit, I have to say that it worries me what he is up to before he finishes his presidential term.

Dubya is winning the favor and pocket books of the Israel Lobby with his Israel trip, my friend.

As an American, I have to say it also worries me.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you think that the US and the West will ever win Hearts and Minds in the Middle East?

My feeling is that we/you never will and therefore any military action there is probably doomed to failure in the long/medium term. This suggests to me that we should be looking for alternative stratgies to the old "we'll nuke you", "kick your ass" options.
I never really thought about the US' ability to win the hearts and minds of the Middle East. Subconciously I put this into the category of one of those annoying absolutes, i.e. it would be impossible for all of the Middle East to like let alone love us at the same time.

As for alternatives I'm all for just pulling out and leaving them be. They don't like us so why be there. Oh yes, the oil. :rolleyes: I think it's hightim we figured ot other economical ways to heat our homes and run our automobiles. If Exxon goes out of business in the process of making the USA a more "green" nation so be it. I know the technology exists somewhere it's just a matter of keeping the fatcats hands out of it so that the people can use it en masse.

Is George achieving this with his Israel trip? As a European Brit, I have to say that it worries me what he is up to before he finishes his presidential term.[/quote] He is trying to curry favor with the Israelis. That is his sole purpose in going. He never does anything of that nature without a reason. Frankly, I'm always frightened whenever that man leaves the country or speaks publicly. :frown1::mad:

D

deleted136887

Never. When the US government stop forcing "democracy" down peoples throats to get at their natural resources, stop giving the Haliburtons etc special treatment ,stop propping up dictators, stop lying to their own people, start being moral, maybe. But that's not going to happen. So live with George & Co, get used to being hated by the rest of the world. The american people can change this, of course. "Government for the people, by the people?"

PS. Has any of the current candidates got any plans (workable) for getting "liked" ? Maybe Hollywood could get in on the act? LOL

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
America is a country that thinks its got 12 inches. But America keeps getting 'pantsed' and the rest of the world sees and laughs at the exposed American penis, which isn't as big as America/the American administration thinks it is.

So no, hearts and minds cannot be won in the Middle East until America comes to terms with itself and realises its not the 'daddy' of the world. Plus Bush is one of the least intelligent men I've ever seen. My dog probably knows more words than him. He struggles even to state the obvious. He's not an orator or catalyst for (positive) change.

Maybe when a new President comes in, things will change. But I doubt it.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Until our elected officials can start and continue a peaceful and more sensitive approach with the Mideast, it won't happen. Everytime there is a party switch in the White House, rather than continue the good the prior party achieved, they destroy it and create their own policies.

Guy-jin is right, but the hearts must be changed and won in the political arenas first off.

D

deleted136887

Until our elected officials can start and continue a peaceful and more sensitive approach with the Mideast, it won't happen. Everytime there is a party switch in the White House, rather than continue the good the prior party achieved, they destroy it and create their own policies.

Guy-jin is right, but the hearts must be changed and won in the political arenas first off.

Osiris, I respect your views and like your posts. Although for the present the administration has to find an exit out of the mess they lied themselves into, the fact of the matter is the USA has NO business forcing regime change etc on the rest of the world, telling the rest of the world how to behave, quoting "self interest" on the other side of the world. So what if (yet) another unstable state develops nuclear weapons? A huge part of the world's population thinks the US is an unstable state, and feels threatened by them, and believe that a deterrent is in order. All this is slightly of the thread's original question("why don't they like us?"). The world is sick of US hypocrisy , that's why they don't "like" . Just as I am sure a huge number of US citizens are pissed of and sick of their leaders, and that clown with his finger on the button, that smirk on his face, god on his side, and big oil pulling his strings.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Osiris, I respect your views and like your posts. Although for the present the administration has to find an exit out of the mess they lied themselves into, the fact of the matter is the USA has NO business forcing regime change etc on the rest of the world, telling the rest of the world how to behave, quoting "self interest" on the other side of the world. So what if (yet) another unstable state develops nuclear weapons? A huge part of the world's population thinks the US is an unstable state, and feels threatened by them, and believe that a deterrent is in order. All this is slightly of the thread's original question("why don't they like us?"). The world is sick of US hypocrisy , that's why they don't "like" . Just as I am sure a huge number of US citizens are pissed of and sick of their leaders, and that clown with his finger on the button, that smirk on his face, god on his side, and big oil pulling his strings.

You are preaching to the choir on this one and I agree with your thoughts. Thing is I had just finished a cup of coffee and was in a calmer frame of mind. :wink:

Thank you for the compliment. I'm always sort of nervous about posts when I get on a tangent.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
thing is, some of the more secular countries (like Iran) are adopting western a lot of western culture. the truth is, the US media is doing what all the wars could never do-- it's bringing middle eastern culture closer to that of the west. i don't know how or why, but even though the US media is drivel, it's drivel that most of the world wants. TV and music are probably the only thing that can bring western ideas to the middle east, which is why groups like the taliban are so anti-television, music, etc.

D

deleted136887

thing is, some of the more secular countries (like Iran) are adopting western a lot of western culture. the truth is, the US media is doing what all the wars could never do-- it's bringing middle eastern culture closer to that of the west. i don't know how or why, but even though the US media is drivel, it's drivel that most of the world wants. TV and music are probably the only thing that can bring western ideas to the middle east, which is why groups like the taliban are so anti-television, music, etc.

Britney Spears as role model......:biggrin1: