Heavy rock singer Ronnie James Dio dies at 67

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_stanmarsh14, May 16, 2010.

1. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

American heavy rock singer Ronnie James Dio, who replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath, has died at the age of 67, his wife and manager have said.

Dio had been suffering from stomach cancer.

Before joining Black Sabbath he sang in Rainbow - formed when Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple - and later in Heaven & Hell and the self-titled band Dio.

BBC News - Heavy rock singer Ronnie James Dio dies at 67

Gone to the great gig in the sky :frown1:

2. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Noooooooo!:frown1:

Life's a never ending wheel he once sang. I hope he's still spinning.

3. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    One if the most influential voices in metal. THE prototypical operatic, powerful rock vocalist. And the progenitor of the famed metal horn gesture.

RIP \m/

4. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Such an awesome vocalist. He put out some awesome music and seemed like a very interesting person from the interviews he'd done. RIP \m/

5. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    So sad!

He was one of my all-time faves!

\m/_ _\m/

6. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    It always amazed me that, while so many of his contemporaries lost much of the power and range of their voices over the years, Ronnie's amazing voice stayed intact almost to the end.
    R.I.P Ronnie.

7. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    He will be sorely missed. One of the most influential and powerful metal singers ever.

8. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

Elvis is the king of rock n roll and Dio is the king of metal. Rock on.

9. lms28

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My very first arena concert was Dio in 1985. 25 years and more than 1000 concerts later, it still ranks as the most theatrical stage show I've ever seen. Lasers, explosions, a giant crystal ball, a dragon(!), and more. RJD was a true showman and entertainer. He'll be missed.

10. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    While he did lose some, his longevity was incredible. Where some operatic and growly/yelly metal singers would lose their abilities within 5-10 years (Robert Plant, for example), and the general rule is that a rock singer's voice falls off after age 35, Dio kicked ass into his 60s. Truly incredible.

11. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The man single handedly invented and refined the "power metal" genre. He tied together the world of fantasy and the world of hard rock and metal. He was one of the first metal songwriters to use keyboards in his main riff (something he no doubt learned to feel comfortable with during his stint with Ritchie and Rainbow) and unlike Ozzy, actually wrote the music to his songs. Ronnie repeatedly allowing Vivian to contribute musically but always retaining the sole musical vision to all of his songs.

Yes, Ronnie wrote all of the guitar riffs to Holy Diver.

As a side note Jake E. Lee filled Vivian's original guitar slot in Dio but was frustrated when Dio had a talk with him and told him that his extended chord voicings were clashing with the band's song's structures. Jake was ordered to play simple block (power) chords during the rhythm parts. Jake was having none of this and left Dio and auditioned for Ozzy as a swipe at RJD. Vivian obviously had no problem with playing those power chords and the rest is history.

I love Ronnie James Dio, he was an idol of mine as a teenager and I will always remember him with great admiration and affection. His wife Wendy was sooooo right when she said that his music will live forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted