Heavy sweating when sleeping naked - suggestions?

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hey all,
I love sleeping in the buff, but a lot of the time I have the problem of waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat (as in dripping wet and fully soaked sheets). It was so bad last night that I almost had to change the sheets to be able to get back to sleep. I've tried everything from turning up the heat and using a lighter blanket to turning down the heat and using heavier blankets. It tends to happen less often if it is warm outside and I use a medium-thickness blanket, but most of the time I just end up in a pool of sweat by 2 a.m. If I wear a t-shirt and boxer briefs, this never happens. Does this happen to anybody else? Do you have any suggestions of how to make it through the night comfortably? Thanks!

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Yeah, Buzz...I've slept in the complete nude since a very young child....and that happens to me ocassionally. It sometimes
happens during a real DRY NYC heatwave in the summer, or
if the room is too DRY from the winter heating. Ufortunately, I have steam heat and it makes the air dry as hell!.
In the summer,I just throw off the sheet, or covering, and let
the ceiling fan cool me off.

I learned long ago, that I needed fresh air to sleep well and so I
hate sleeping in an A/C room, or a heated room (especially steam
heated), for the DRY air really gets to me and, yes,
sometimes causes me to sweat. I have tried humidifiers, but
found them useless.

Therefore, I always sleep with the bedroom windows fully opened all year, and also during the coldest of NYC winters, I turn off the heat in my bedroom. I need the fresh air...period...to sleep well.

I also have found that less blankets is better in the winter and I sleep WARMER without so much weight.

Last edited:

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know of shat you speak. advancing age can cause this. if it's a real concern, discuss with your M.D.

otherwise, standing outside in the fog or a jog across the Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco gets real foggy sometimes) might help.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Flannel is a great idea for colder weather. It sounds like you need sheets that breathe, so avoid buying sheets made out of synthetic fabrics and blends.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Just got some flannel sheets tonight and am looking forward to stripping down completely and trying them out! It's pretty chilly out tonight (well, ok, "chilly" for here - about 45) so we'll see how it works. Thanks for the advice, guys!

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I sleep in the buff too but rarely have the problem of sweating. If I do, it's usually because I'm sick - sort of an indicator I suppose.

I don't have heat on in my bedroom and usually there's a window open somewhere in my flat. I don't open the bedroom window because I don't want a cold breeze on my head and neck. I noticed that my neck sweats if I do that and my pillow is soaked.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
this is actually why I much prefer cotton boxers to poly-cotton boxers- cotton BREATHES and soaks and dries.... poly mix just repels...and traps

bisexualjock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Severe night sweats, as you indicated, are often indicative of an underlying medical condition. If they happen every now and again, it's not anything to worry about... but if they are occurring repeatedly (i.e. several days in a row), please seek medical advice.

Severe night sweats can be an symptom of many different viruses - including mononucleosis/tuberculosis/hiv. Your doctor will most likely want to run a CBC (complete blood count) test to make sure certain enzymes are not elevated in your body.

Please make an appointment.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's not that severe, and as I wrote, it's only when I sleep naked. It's also happened my whole life, so I don't think it's a medical condition. (I've had night sweats before due to the flu, etc. and it feels completely different.) Thanks for the concern tho.
I did try the flannel sheets last night and it seemed to help some. I ended up sweating a little bit, but not nearly as much as with the other sheets. The flannel felt really good, all soft and smooth, so I had a major hard-on every time I woke up. :biggrin1:

bisexualjock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only reason I brought up potential medical issues is due to the fact I had mononucleosis earlier in the year, and one of my symptoms was severe night sweats (like, soak through a comforter...). It got so bad I started sleeping with towels wrapped around me, since it was extremely uncomfortable to wake up soaked... The doctor mentioned it was a symptom of tuberculosis, and was slightly worried. Obviously, turned out to be mono.

enderwiggen88

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Night sweats can often be hidden by clothing you wear to bed. The clothing absorbs and disperses the moisture thereby hiding the fact that you're sweating.

Aside from infections, night sweats are a HUGE indicator of blood sugar problems (primarily problems with low blood sugar levels). I know this because I have hypoglycemia. I can usually tell how well I'm taking care of it by whether or not I sweat at night. If my blood sugar levels were well balanced through the day, no sweating. If they were up and down (even a little bit) I sweat. I would see an M.D. about it to rule out blood sugar problems. Blood sugar problems are also indicated by fluctuating energy levels and mood swings (from mild to severe, most of which go unnoticed).

If low blood sugar is suspected make sure that a glucose tolerance test is requested. That's the only real way to tell.

MrToolhung

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Severe night sweats, as you indicated, are often indicative of an underlying medical condition. If they happen every now and again, it's not anything to worry about... but if they are occurring repeatedly (i.e. several days in a row), please seek medical advice.

Severe night sweats can be an symptom of many different viruses - including mononucleosis/tuberculosis/hiv. Your doctor will most likely want to run a CBC (complete blood count) test to make sure certain enzymes are not elevated in your body.

Please make an appointment.

I was going to say the same as you but you beat me to it!

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Well, I've spent about 3-4 nights now naked with my new flannel sheets. Wow!! Not only has it solved my sweat problem as some of you suggested it might, but it also just feels so damn good to be rolling around naked under the covers with the soft flannel above and below me. Thanks guys!