Hedonism

AndrewEndowed24

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The less 'hedonistic' choice offers more immediate pleasure perhaps, you might feel a twinge of guilt in entering the machine, but compared to a life chock full of the most pleasureful conceivable experiences, it does not lead to more overall pleasure for you in your life-time. So if you were only trying to maximize pleasure, it would be irrational to be terribly concerned by the momentary twinge of guilt compared with the joy you will feel at all of the strippers you are going to believe you are nailing and the orphans you will believe you are feeding :)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Can you give some examples of what I've highlighted, NIC?

-A mother's maternal instinct to push her child out of the way of a speeding train even if it meant sacrificing her own life.

-All the ways in which we do things that, subconsciously, are designed to get us laid or attract members of the opposite sex even if we may think we are doing something else. Depending on your personal analysis, and the extent to which you believe or don't believe in evolution, Freud, and free will... this could potentially be virtually everything you ever do. (working toward a better job, buying a fancy car, continuing to pursue a "friendship" with an attractive coworker, acting as if you think my posts are really intelligent and compelling because you think I have a nice cock) Of course in some of us.... those that wear condoms or use birth control, or those that enjoy being with members of the same sex... these instincts are a bit vestigial. But they're still there.

If we had time to think about these decisions before acting on them, many of us would choose to act the same way. The mother would still choose to save her child even if she had time to contemplate exactly what implications her choice had. I think at that point feelings of love, conscience, and social responsibility take over for instinct. After that they serve the same function, though there are some mothers who would make the choice to live if they got to think about it.

The subconscious things that we do in the pursuit of sex are probably also things we would still do if we realized what exactly we were doing. Most people enjoy getting laid, even if they lie to themselves about exactly how much energy they expend pursuing that.

Can you think of other examples?

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There was a series about it on tv, it looked awful, full of people who'd have a hard time getting fucked if they paraded naked in a prison ground.

LOL :biggrin1: Yes and isn't this apparently the case with swinging houses???:smile:

I was once invited to a swinging party in Manchester by one of my managers at work. I declined! She is a err... a "big engine":biggrin1:. She is a good cook though but lets just say: you want find me sampling her dumplings!:wink:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
A bit slippery, Andrew.
If it makes you happiest at that moment, then it governs your choice on the calculus of hedonism.
And if you are so built that that is your natural choice, then you will make that choice in the future, as well.
So the machine will never give you, as you are constituted, the "prospect of greater future happiness."
We would have to talk about a hierarchy of satisfactions and pleasures, in some way.
Eating chocolate pudding might be near the bottom.
The pleasure of sense-annihilating orgasm might be in the middle.
A weekend spent in your machine might be nudging a still higher reach.
And the delight of serving 'selflessly' your fellow creatures might be near the top.
But each could be considered a form of hedonistic payoff, very different, each of them, in kind.
Or am I getting your point?

I'm trying to understand you, Rubi the smart dubi.:biggrin1: You've hurt my head with this post (are you begging for time in Big Bull's Brigg?)

If this machine patented by Andrew is to always provide one with a maximum degree of natural pleasure at any given moment in time, then there would be no prospect of greater future pleasure. One would be constantly living maximumally pleasurable moments.

Stop making my brain hurt, Rubi and Andrew, even though it feels so damn good.:biggrin1:

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A bit slippery, Andrew.
If it makes you happiest at that moment, then it governs your choice on the calculus of hedonism.
And if you are so built that that is your natural choice, then you will make that choice in the future, as well.
So the machine will never give you, as you are constituted, the "prospect of greater future happiness."
We would have to talk about a hierarchy of satisfactions and pleasures, in some way.
Eating chocolate pudding might be near the bottom.
The pleasure of sense-annihilating orgasm might be in the middle.
A weekend spent in your machine might be nudging a still higher reach.
And the delight of serving 'selflessly' your fellow creatures might be near the top.
But each could be considered a form of hedonistic payoff, very different, each of them, in kind.
Or am I getting your point?

I only wish I understood what you meant.:confused: :biggrin1::biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
You've hurt my head with this post (are you begging for time in Big Bull's Brigg?)

You know me so well, Bigbull.:cool:

If this machine patented by Andrew is to always provide one with a maximum degree of natural pleasure at any given moment in time, then there would be no prospect of greater future pleasure. One would be constantly living maximumally pleasurable moments.

But Andrew isn't so clear that the machine will really give a maximum degree of pleasure. In one sense, it might, but in another, he's sure to feel unsatisfied.

As he says himself,

I think that I understand exactly what my life in the machine would be like and yet could see myself sensibly rejecting living the rest of my life in this machine ... and doing so despite the fact that I recognize that my prospects for as pleasureful a life in the real world are minuscule compared to the prospects the machine offers me. This doesn't mean that I am not doing what makes me 'happiest' in the moment that I make the decision (though i'm not sure this can be proven either), but what makes me not an utter hedonist is the fact that what makes me 'happiest' at the moment is not the prospect of greater future happiness but of a real and meaningful life, or something like that. My concern doesn't only fall on pleasure.

The machine, presumably, can only give sensory pleasure. Or maybe not. Maybe it can give a kind of narrative in which you think you're a wonderfully virtuous and saintly type living a life of good works and so forth. But before entering the machine, he recoils, because he knows that the machine provides a rather dismissable and delusional life, and he prefers "a real and meaningful life," as he puts it.

I'm saying simply that if he makes the perhaps harder choice of staying out of the machine, he does so with the prospect that that choice will give him something that he values more highly and the prospect of which therefore gives him more pleasure.

So that choice could be the (more enlightened but paradoxically also more) hedonistic one.

You will agree this is an important underwear, clothing and appearance issue.:biggrin1:

Stop making my brain hurt, Rubi and Andrew, even though it feels so damn good.:biggrin1:

Your brain I don't care about.
I'm working on your head ... or at least, one of them, bigbull.:biggrin1:

D_Hairy Reed

Experimental Member
Media
Personally, I haven't been to Hedonism, but I have been to a comparable place on the French Mediterranean, called Cap d'Agde. And I have to say I quite liked it.

It's a huge, nudist resort (probably Europe's biggest), where you have all sorts of people - and some particularly libertarian souls towards the evenings. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there's always something in there that you may like.

What I really enjoyed was some nice group sex taking place at the beach. And sure, you do see some of the usual desperate oldies, but u also see some hot stuff.

I liked it.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Personally, I haven't been to Hedonism, but I have been to a comparable place on the French Mediterranean, called Cap d'Agde. And I have to say I quite liked it.

I was at Cap d'Agde, too.
As you say, it's interesting. A bit weird, too, not so much on the beach, but elsewhere ... for example, watching nekkid people push shopping carts in the epicerie. Naked bodies on the beach seemed far more natural.
After an hour, I felt pretty much at ease. Even played frizbee.:cool:
Never saw the sex you allude to, beachpuppy, but then I didn't stay into the evening.

Revanchist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, this thread sure went to talking about a Jamaican resort to an over analyzed philosophical discussion fast. :)

When I first heard about the resort I decided to read up on it and here is what I found:

The resort itself is split into two sides, a nude side and a "vanilla" side. The Vanilla side was more run down, had less activities, and was basically ignored by the staff. Meanwhile on the nude side, you obviously couldn't go there with clothes on, so no voyeurism, as it were, without participating.

There were some complaints about the place and staff I read from reviews. One was that male employees, like bellhops especially, would essentially start groping and trying to fuck the single girls/girlfriends/wives if they ended up in a room alone with them delivering food, luggage or what have you.

Another complaint was that there was a surprising number of single guys there trying to fuck other guys' wives without having brought anything to the banquet to share (though some couples who ere into that sort of thing posted this as a plus too, heh).

With regard to the ugly factor of some people there (which would completely turn me off at a nudist resort), apparently there is a website that I saw where couples going there can post pictures of themselves and arrange to go at the same time as other attractive people, and there is like a community of sorts based on that. Personally, not to be elitist or superficial, but I think there is a certain level of hotness people should have to have to even be allowed to go to the resort. :D

While I think it would be interesting to go, the closest my wife and I have ever come to that was going to the European topless pool all week at our hotel in Vegas on our honeymoon. That alone was tons of fun, and surprisingly enough it was mostly younger, attractive people there. Even though it wasn't a "Swinger" atmosphere (which is good since we aren't swingers), my wife still got a lot of attention, especially from one group of guys who was there for one guy's birthday, lol, though it was still a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

I'm not sure the hedonism trip would be nearly as relaxing though, being fully nude like that with a bunch of other people around, and my wife is gorgeous so I know she's be like a prime target for the staff guys, single guys and everyone else to try and fuck. Plus, in all modesty, we're both rather good looking and a very attractive couple (even if I'm not quite as well endowed as the majority of the guys on here, heh), so even together chances are we'd be getting propositioned alot, and I'd like to spent at least a good deal of our time there just relaxing and hanging out, not necessarily participating in the sexual meat market display and auction the entire time. :)