Hell and non Christian people...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Sklar, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    Am I the only one who finds the hypocrisy (sp) of the religious right to be alarming and bigoted? Actually, I know I'm not. I just needed a sentence to start this with.

Being Jewish, I am constantly amazed at how blind some members of the Catholic and Christian religions can be. For example:

First off, I don't see how Catholics and Christians seem to think that their religion is lock step besides the Jewish religion. Aside from the Jews for Jesus, most Jewish people know that Jesus was a man who was also a Rabbi. Catholics and Christians think he is the Son of God. There's a big difference in that.

Second, Jewish people believe in God as the Supreme Ruler of the Universe. Catholics and Christians seem to think that Jesus IS God. I won't even go into the Holy Trinity because, frankly, I don't understand how the Father can be the Son can be the Holy Ghost.

Third, being Jewish, we have no concept of Hell. All Jews go to the Holy Land. I was going to say Heaven but Holy Land seems to fit better. So when a Catholic or Christian tells me I'm going to Hell, I just tell them I have a free pass out of it because I'm Jewish, not Catholic or Christian. This seems to enrage them even more because they DON'T SEEM TO GRASP THAT THERE ARE OTHER RELIGIONS OUT THERE THAT PREDATE THEIR OWN. This seems to be a point that they don't understand. They IMPOSE their beliefs onto others and are shocked when others don't come around to their view point, which makes them heathens/sinners and they try to condem us to Hell, starting this all over again.

The whole War on Christianity slogan we've been hearing here in America the past couple of years seems to have shocked the Right. What they don't seem to get is that they declared war on everyone else first. We're just defending ourselves.

I will be the first to admit, I have never read the New Testament and my memory of the Old testament is sketchy at best. So hopefully, those of you who are more familiar with it can help to fill me in on some of the examples I am going to explore below or just correct me if I am plain wrong (correct me gently please):

SIN, the great catch all to get people to go to Hell.

Isn't there a part of the New Testament which says that a person is committing a sin if they wear clothing made of two different fabrics? How many devoted followers of Christ would be sent to Hell right now for breaking that one?

Isn't there a part of the New Testament that states something along the lines that a farmer shouldn't plant more than two crops in the same field in the same year? How many farmers are going to Hell for that? What about the people who bought the produce from that farmer and ate it? All going to Hell.

Isn't there a part of the New Testament that states that Suicide is a sin? How many people who follow Christ smoke? Isn't it pretty much common knowledge (although people still don't quite grasp it) that smoking is going to kill you. It's a slow form of suicide. Why aren't the Catholics and Christians turning around on their own flock and trying to save them from going to Hell? Should we touch on Drunk Driving next? I think my point has been made.

I would really like it if Catholics and Christians would CLEAN THEIR OWN HOUSE FIRST before becoming a busy body and tell me how to live my life.

I'm sure there are many more examples that can be found.

The true reason (in my humble opionion) that the Religious Right goes after the Gay Community more than anyone else is that if they went after their own members, they would see just how little they would be loved and would lose their money, power and support.

Or am I just totally wrong in starting this thread and line of thought?

Thanks all,

Sklar

2. MidusCo.

MidusCo. New Member

To be honest Im completely against, most forms of, christianity. Because most of their ideas are based off of other religions. I mean it seems through the bible that it would almost be impossible to get into heaven.

A lot of theology Ive read on religion made me more and more against it.
    Because of Christianity I have become a Deist, I will not believe something until I see it myself.

I cant believe in someone telling me how to live, and that I cant do things I love to do. Because they become a sin through the bible.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well it's almost 8pm on Saturday night so I am off out for a fabulous sinful night. Have fun.:biggrin1:

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    *Laughs heartily, because at this moment Daverock's post # is 666. *

5. coopturn

coopturn Member

Sklar:

Why do you keep saying Catholics AND Christians? Don't you know that Catholics ARE Christians. In fact, Catholicism is the largest denomination in Christianity. Your ignorance of this seems to diminsh your sweeping generalizations and stereotypes of the more than 1 billion Christians in the world.

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

That was a really long post to make singling out "Christians and Catholics" (and by that I assume you mean "Protestants and Catholics") considering that what you are saying could essentially apply to everyone. Every religion, and even non-religious people. Hypocrisy, egocentrism, bigotry, et cetera... not the sole domain of Christians by any stretch of the imagination. I think these things are to some degree a part of human nature. For people of different faiths who take their religion seriously, sometimes these aspects of their nature are reinforced and sometimes they are subdued, depending on the particular doctrine and history of that faith, and the individual person's interpretation of that doctrine and history.

7. Aloha!

Aloha! New Member

Although I won't get into the debate against religion AS A WHOLE, at the moment, I can't help but be amazed at the absurdity of both catholicism and christianity (they ARE different in their teachings, and therefore AND is the CORRECT conjunction).

In the bible it states the God created all things; man, the animals, the plants, the stars in the sky, the moon, &c. However, later it also says that homosexuality is a sin and should be punished BY DEATH (read the King James Bible, if you don't believe me. I can't remember where exactly it says it, but somewhere in there it says quite clearly that "Any man found bedding with another man shall be sentenced to death." Notice, women can sleep with each other all they want...

Also, the reason christianity is so intolerent of other religions is WRITTEN INTO THEIR HOLY BOOK!! Don't believe me, find the part where Moses breaks the first two tablets because his people are worshipping a gold statue of a cow: they were following the religion that Moses told them to, only representing the deity with a physical representation. Isn't the cross the same thing? Don't christians all pray TO THE CROSS? Thereby making the cross a false idol.

I could go on, and on about my views of the way modern religion is set up, but I won't, since on the whole I can understand that some people need religion to lean on; I however, find more comfort in something real, something I know is true: like my family and friends.

8. NovaBone

NovaBone New Member

Sklar... very good point you've got there.
    I'm Lutheran, which is Christian. I just like to think of myself as a "spiritual" being.

9. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

The following is an actual question given on a McGill University chemistry mid-term Exam paper: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with a proof

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyles Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:
    First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that most people and their souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.
    Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyles Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.
    This gives two possibilities.
    1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
    2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
    So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Celine LeBlanc during my Freshman year - that "it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you" - and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.

The student got the only A!

10. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Yea you hit the nail on the head, all this is caused by the arrogance of mankind, in that people are absolutely convinced they are correct in matters that they could not possibly possess any true knowledge of.

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

While I do agree to some of the OP assertions, what really strikes me as funny is that some of the examples he used (mixed fibers, fallow fields) are in the Pentateuch/Torah, not in the New Testament. (Hint: Read Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy.)

That being said, yes, many Christian and Muslim sects tend to be very arrogant and bigoted, even contrary to what they claim as their holy texts.

12. Shelby

Gold Member

Good story Gillette!

I reckon the closest thing to a spiritual leader I have is Lionel Boyd Johnson aka Bokonon.

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    You said it. That misunderstanding never fails to amuse me.

14. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Not bad, for a hell-bound Jew. :biggrin1:

15. JustAsking

Gold Member

The problem is when you listen to the Christian Fundamentalists who maintain that all this is a kind of cosmic transaction with God. Where God either rewards you or punishes you depending on your actions. Where the degree of your faith is also included as one of those actions. If that were true, that would be Bad News, since we are all mostly rat-bastards and we are all mostly unfaithful.

Here is the real Good News.

There is nothing you need to do to make God love you more and there is nothing you can ever do to make God love you less. Given that, the invitation to heaven is extended to every last person forever. Your are saved by the Grace of God through your trust that this is true. The offer is extended no matter what you do, and it is never revoked.

16. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well I can honestly say that 666 was a pure coincidence. Just home it's almost 4am and it was a great night. 666 is no more following this post.:biggrin1:

17. Matthew

Gold Member

Pat Benatar always said Hell was for children.

18. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Was the creation of Hell actually mentioned in the creation passages of Genesis? If not, when was it introduced.

Where's Dreamer when you need him?

Does Heavan exist in the same time and space as this universe, or does it exist outside. If the former, then this place can be as much heavan as heavan might be. Presuming it is not blasphemous to suggest that there is something outside this Universe that may or may not have been created by this universe's God.

19. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    As I read the original post, the following thoughts ran through my mind (and apparently they occured to some other posters as well)...

Does he mean Catholic like R.C., or like universal?

Catholics are Christians

Dood. What kind of Jew is this?

Woah. Seriously, what kind of Jew is this?

Wait. Wait. Theis guy's Jewish? But he hasn't read the Old Testament/Torah since when? Probably since he croaked out the last syllable of his Torah portion. Hypocrite. LOL He's talking to Christians about "The New Testament". We got all of that stuff out of the freaking Torah. We're no longer subject to those rules...but this so-called Jew is.

Look how sure he is about what people know to be true. So what? He knows Jesus was a man who was a Rabbi. I know Jesus was a Rabbi who was the son of God. Who cares if he understands the trinity? I understand it, and I'm nobody's missionary. Somebody wants an explanation, they can ask me a serious question.

Okay, okay. So. If we're going to stick to ridiculous generalizations, he's right. Just about every religion has attempted to spread itself by force. Violence. Propaganda. Jews don't do that. Fine. They just commit murders. Non-jews must die. You know. Generally speaking. This fucker.

I have to comment on this! I shouldn't. I must! I can't No! I have to! I should pretend I never saw it. No, no. I have to comment. I just have to.

20. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I bet Sklar has absolutely no clue about what happened during the Reformation. No clue at all.

Actually, the idea that the Torah is full of literal commandments that should always be taken literally wasn't big with Jews before the supposed birth of Jesus, and it would seem that some of "his" teachings reinforce this idea. Sort of on some "the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life" type shit. Anyway, Mosaic Law, once filtered through Talmudic interpretation, isn't as retarded, bloodthirsty and vengeful as people make it out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted