Hello from Alaska

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey All,

My name is Damiaen Michaels, I am from Anchorage....and I suck at writing introductions about myself :smile: .

I am 25 from the big state of Alaska and am a sports reporter/general assignment reporter for KTUU-TV in Anchorage.

If you all want to know anymore, please feel free to IM or email.

Rock on,

Damiaen Michaels

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey FindFireFox,

According to KTUU's program director, I will probably never get on the site. Why? The reason I was given was "your name might upset some people who view our site"...my name being Damiaen, which in the "Damian" or "Damien" spellings is teh "Son of Satan"...fooey...even though I say it nightly on live television across the state. I figure, hell, if I don't get on the site, I don't get on the site.

Actually, KTUU has a reporting staff of about 36 that aren't listed....it is mostly behind-the-scenes politics that most of use don't want to get into....and as long as we are on the air, that is all that matters :cool:

Enclosed, though, is the only picture that made it online. It was when I worked at KRII-TV NBC11 in Hibbing, MN.

I am a Texas boy, and how I wound up in Minnesota and then Alaska from Marathon, Texas....well, that is a story from another time.

Thanks and see you all on the boards...or TV.

Rock on,

Damiaen Michaels
KTUU-TV - Anchorage

Attachments

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey D. Michaels (i dont like the meaning of D...:redface: i dont like terror movies too...)

Anyways...:biggrin1:

Welcome!!!:smile:

Im very curious to visit Alaska sometime...cool!

Sports???? Nice!!!!

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey Gisella,

Actually, most of the time Anchorage is quite nice.....think San Francisco weather. Right now it is 44F going up to 68F today. That is what it is like most of the time here in the Spring and Summer....come Fall and Winter, you are wishing for Spring again. It doesn't get too bad here, but up towards Barrow (where in the winter there is no sunlight for 3 months) it is 10below+ all winter long. I will stick with the mid-20s :)

But, regardless of the weather, it is a beautiful place to visit or live. I have been here for about 9months now and I am constantly amazed when driving out to a story. The people are friendly and the views are awesome....not to the mention the rock climbing! If you ever make the trip, I suggest starting with Ketchikan. It is north of Seattle and has about the same weather, but you get the feel of the state.

Rock on,

Damiaen Michaels
KTUU-TV - Anchorage

Sam1070

Experimental Member
Media
Welcome, Damiaen: Was in Alaska in May, June of last year. I have been fortunate to have traveled a great deal, but my first trip to Alaska. One of my favorite vacations! Alaska is beautiful, the people are wonderful, and the scenery fabulous. On one leg of the trip, I traveled from Fairbanks by bus north to the Arctic Circle and beyond to an Eskimo village. I was not prepared for the mosquotoes, however. That far north! The Alaska beer is superb!! - as is everything else about Alaska. I will return, definitely.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
.....think San Francisco weather. Right now it is 44F going up to 68F today. That is what it is like most of the time here in the Spring and Summer....

So you sometimes get baked, even in Alaska? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the home of Lousy Puns, Snow and Glaciers. :smile:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Damiaen Michaels said:
Hey Gisella,

Actually, most of the time Anchorage is quite nice.....think San Francisco weather. Right now it is 44F going up to 68F today. That is what it is like most of the time here in the Spring and Summer....come Fall and Winter, you are wishing for Spring again. It doesn't get too bad here, but up towards Barrow (where in the winter there is no sunlight for 3 months) it is 10below+ all winter long. I will stick with the mid-20s :)

But, regardless of the weather, it is a beautiful place to visit or live. I have been here for about 9months now and I am constantly amazed when driving out to a story. The people are friendly and the views are awesome....not to the mention the rock climbing! If you ever make the trip, I suggest starting with Ketchikan. It is north of Seattle and has about the same weather, but you get the feel of the state.

Rock on,

Damiaen Michaels
KTUU-TV - Anchorage

Thank u D.

Have u ever try seal meat? And the Polar Bears? Whats the cost of heating in winter? Do u miss Texas beef (i would im carnivorous)...

And about Eskimo culture, does the new generation preserve it?

Being a reporter u are going to inform me right..i hope!:tongue:

See u...:wink:

Media
Hey All, My name is Damiaen Michaels, I am from Anchorage....and I suck at writing introductions about myself :smile: . I am 25 from the big state of Alaska and am a sports reporter/general assignment reporter for KTUU-TV in Anchorage. If you all want to know anymore, please feel free to IM or email. Rock on, Damiaen Michaels

Hi Damiaen Michaels, I saw your post earlier in the day but was not logged in. I wanted to greet you by PM. Welcome to LPSG to the sports man from KTUU-TV! You are one of the more interesting newbies in awhile. I had friends who went into broadcasting, I headed for the theater. I have always been fascinated by Alaska and hope to visit one day. Thanks for the positive reports about it. I'm impressed with the linguistic skills you have. They are very luck to have you.

I hope you enjoy LPSG and meet many people here. If i can be of help, just PM.

Best with your career!

Sam

dfox7.3x5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Welcome, Mr. Sportscaster! How about posting some photos? And, yes, I do look exactly like Keanu Reeves...

I took a cruise around southeast Alaska a few years back, from Vancouver to Juneau and return. The biggest thrill was a float-plane ride into the Mendenhall Glacier. Breathtaking. I've never been to Anchorage.

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey All,

DFox: lemme find the damned box I put the camera in (just moved from Downtown Anchorage to Girdwood...about 25miles away...so everything is in boxes) but I will do my best:)

Gisella: never tried seal meat...can't bring myself to...I like seals....as for Polar Bears, they are incredible rare in Anchorage or Girdwood. If you are up by Barrow (way top of the state) they are a daily accurance. But they keep away from people. I do miss Texas, (I get care packages, so that helps) but I love it here...ALOT. Heating depends on the area, but it ranges around an extra $250. a year on power, but only in the winter. Now up in Barrow and in the Aleutian chain, it can run up to $500. during the winter, but most are helped out with the costs by the town and native governments. The new generation of Eskimos are doing their best to perserve it, but it is tough, because the kids are leaving (to see the world and go to college and whatnot) and some are not coming back to their towns, just staying wherever....so it is tough, but they have been here forever, so they will continue on with no problems:)

Alex8: yup, we get baked in Alaska :)

Sam1070: actually, I never thought the bugs would be that bad either, til I had to do a story in a little town called Circle....it was nuts. They say that it has been like that for years....and most are totally used to it. Once fall comes around, they are die out, so it is only about 2 1/2 months of itching bug bites.

ChicagoSam: I responded to your PM. :)

Thank you to you all for welcoming me here and I will do my best to find that camera....and my bed. Looks like I am sleeping on teh floor tonight.....on nice new carpet!

Rock on,

Damiaen Michaels
KTUU-TV - Anchorage

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It's cute how you're signing each post like it's a letter. Consider it a conversation like AIM, just a lot slower and with more people. lol Overtly professional sounding. You gotta loosen up, man!

Alaska, hu? You poor dear! Aren't there like..no women up there? lol Sounds like the straight man's nightmare and the straight woman's bane. Ever run backwards through a cornfield?

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey Heather,

That is my broadcasting professionalism kicking in, sorry about that.

Actually, Alaska is quite the straight man's, well wouldn't say paradise (that'd be somewhere warm), but it ain't bad. Trust me, you get a "work out" here.:biggrin1:

Never ran backwards through a cornfield, but I did drive backwards through a cow field? It was on a dare and there were no cows out. I flipped the truck I was driving when I went sliding through some mud....no worries for me, I was fine, but my parents were too happy....that and my shoes were a mess by the time I got back to the house.

Rock on,

Damiaen
^Less professional like:biggrin1:

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey Alex,

It was the field that we normally had cows in.....so was called it the cow field. My parents actually have the cattle field and then the corn/beans field (corn on one side, beans on the other side).

But, you are right....at that moment, it was just a field:smile:

Rock on,

Damiaen.