Help me brainstorm, please...

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
We've agreed that I get to name our child if it's a boy, and she gets to if it's a girl. She's leaning towards Evie (EH-vee) Angela, with the middle name being definite. If it's a boy, I want to name him Janus (YAH-nuhs), but I can't think of a good middle name.
So, throw a few suggestions my way, could ya? Help me get the process going.

TomSchmo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For some reason im thinking of the name Rafael.
Its a cool name, and Rafael Nadal just won wimbeldon so thats why i thoght of it lol.

Beauxbatons

Experimental Member
Media
Just to the left of nowhere (aka West Texas)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For an authentic Roman flavor, you could go with Janus Tiberinus...

The real question, though, is why you want want to consign your child to a school career filled with teasing and taunting on the playground... not to mention a lifetime of that special hell of no one pronouncing your name correctly (and trust me, it's only going to take one teacher calling him "Janice" to seal his fate...)

Janus as in the two-faced god?

And yeah, they'll call him Janice and he'll hate it.

An unusual boy's name is cool if it's easy to spell, pronounce, and not be mistaken for a girl's name.

I think Jason is an exceptional name which, as you can see, I've made very popular.

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
How about Magnus and Penus (PAYnus) and , the he would be Janus Magnus Penus . .
Then he wouldn't have to be subtle about his size . . . .
(Only joking. . . please forgive me)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Pronounce it Yahnuhs - but give him the middlename Joplin :rolleyes:

Actually - I kinda like that - but not with Janus.

It might help to know a little bit about your surname - how many syllables it has, whether it starts with a hard or soft consonant, or a vowel. But without that info, I'd pick a short (1 or 2 syllable) middlename with a hard consonant at the start that does not end in s (or any other sibilant).

Janus Carl
Janus Peter
Janus Thibaut (french name, pronounced Tee-bo)
Janus Kris

And so on. If your surname is long I'd go with a one syllable middle name - if your surname is short I'd pick 2.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
It's two syllables, starts with an S. That's one of the reasons for Janus, it flows better with the last name than mine does.
I like Thibaut, but mainly just for the idea of a French name. My fiancee is French, and that's not represented in any of our choices so far.

As for mispronunciations, it's to be expected. My last name is perfectly phonetic, and people still fuck it up. It'll teach him resilience and tell him who his real friends are. Even if I gave him a perfectly common name, somebody would still find something to give him shit about during adolescence. That's just how kids are.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Janus as in the two-faced god?

And yeah, they'll call him Janice and he'll hate it.

An unusual boy's name is cool if it's easy to spell, pronounce, and not be mistaken for a girl's name.

I think Jason is an exceptional name which, as you can see, I've made very popular.

I thought it was made popular by FRIDAY THE 13TH movie, ala, Jason Voorhees...

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
they also may call him anus which is also somewhat a gateway. It sounds greek to me.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
J ANUS

Don't do it.

Might as well name him JASSHOLE

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
As for mispronunciations, it's to be expected. My last name is perfectly phonetic, and people still fuck it up. It'll teach him resilience and tell him who his real friends are. Even if I gave him a perfectly common name, somebody would still find something to give him shit about during adolescence. That's just how kids are.
Hmmm... I go by my second name around here. My first can also be used for a girl. I went through some hell over it as a kid and I wouldn't wish that on another child. As you said, kids find stuff to give each other shit over. I wish I hadn't had to deal with the extra BS over my name. Maybe it contributed to my 'fuck you, I don't give a damn' attitude, but I could of done without it. I got into a lot of fistfights from being teased. Think about it, you have 9 months to name him/her.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't like odd names for a boy. I like strong names like Christopher or Robert. I had a friend with the name Dietrich, (as in Marlene) that was a good odd strong name.

By the way Evie is a very cute name. I prefer to pronounce it Eee-Vee.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't like odd names for a boy. I like strong names like Christopher or Robert. I had a friend with the name Dietrich, (as in Marlene) that was a good odd strong name.

By the way Evie is a very cute name. I prefer to pronounce it Eee-Vee.
Christopher is a great name. Problems arise when is gets shortened to "Chrisy" :wink:

B_johnschlong

Experimental Member
Media
We've agreed that I get to name our child if it's a boy, and she gets to if it's a girl. She's leaning towards Evie (EH-vee) Angela, with the middle name being definite. If it's a boy, I want to name him Janus (YAH-nuhs), but I can't think of a good middle name.
So, throw a few suggestions my way, could ya? Help me get the process going.

May I offer some advice? If your boy ever gets to travel outside of the U.S. in later life, he will be surprised to hear that "Janus" is actually a derogatory name, a four letter word, so to speak.

Ever heard of the expression "Janus-face"? It means someone who can't make up his mind, or a cheater (who says A the first time, B the next time).

(As you know, Janus is the two headed roman deity.)

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
IMHO two exotic names is a bit much. Maybe he would rather just be Tom, or whatever. My grandfather's first name was Zebulon. He went by his middle name, his son was given the middle name, and "Z" died there. My father was named after someone who really helped his own father. He hates his name but the middle one is worse! In my family, everyone gets at least one common name. I got two.
Dave

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Kids can turn any name derogatory, or a boy's name into a girl's name (or vice versa). That much is inevitable.
Although that bit about "Janus-face" is good to know. I might not want the name itself to be considered an insult in a part of the world that he may very well visit someday. Hence why I'd never name a kid Adolf... aside from the fact that the name sounds horrible anyway.
I did find Janos as an alternative though; still trying to decide if I want to switch. It's Hebrew for "Gift from God." While I'm not of Jewish descent, I was originally to be named Jakob (also a Hebrew name), until the day I was born. My parents decided at the hospital that I looked more like an Erik.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Hmm, that as a first name would flow well with my last name, but not quite so much as a middle name with Janus/Janos.
We've agreed we want the names to be Americanly (that's a word now) uncommon, but nothing ridiculous like Moon Unit.