Help me figure out what to do

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jda, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jda

jda New Member

Albums:
    So here is how my wonderful day started.

I get a letter from my landlord stating that I have until March 16th to move out of my place because of an ordinance passed in July 2007. The ordinance states "any R2 housing having a landlord/owner live in it for 10 months is no longer considered rentable and is only to be considered residential housing" (those aren't the exact words but that is a summary of what I have been told.. I will work on getting the exact wording). Meaning only the landlord and the immediate family are able to stay at the residence. So I basically have been given a three week notice to get the hell out and find a new place to live in the middle of the semester despite my status. Aren't I required by law to have at least a 60 day notice?

The landlord is looking to sell the house as soon as he can. The landlord also said there is no way to get an extension and it's a waste to appeal, is that true or am I being played so that he can dump the house as quick as possible?

Infos:

The letter from the borough is dated February 12, 2008 and they said we have 30 days to vacate. The status of the house is R2 "Ownership occupied / Rental". The ordinance was passed in July of 2007. The landlord moved out of the house in August of 2007.

If the ordinance was passed in July and the landlord moved out in August that only means she lived in the house for one month. The ordinance requires the landlord to live in the house for 10 months to take effect. Can the ordinance take into account the years previous to its creation? Apparently it can because that is what is happening, right?

Someone help me. I don't think I've left out any information, but if I have please ask for it and I will find it.

-jd

2. jda

jda New Member

Albums:
    Is there leniency I can get from the borough allowing me to at least finish out my semester without having to relocate?

3. Northland

Gold Member

I still probably won't be of any avail on this matter; however, your profile shows PA for your location. You may need to give more of an idea as to where in Pennsylvania you are located in order to learn if there are any laws in the area where you are, which can protect you. Additionally if there are any town or city councils, you might want to check with your representative for any advice they may have.

Do you have a lease or any other signed document stating the length of time you are to live there? Documentation (such as a binding agreement) could be your answer.

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

If you do get 60 days, that might put you right in the middle of exams, a much less convenient time to move.
    If there is housing available, it might be good to make your exit in those 30 days.
    Of course, you would prefer to stay where you are till the end of the semester, but, unless I'm mistaken, neither the 30- nor the 60-day option gives you that prospect.
    Hmmm. Just when does your semester end?

5. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's the law that they have to give you 30 day notice to move. It is pretty standard.

When was the letter postmarked? (not that THAT should be included in the timeframe)

6. dong20

Gold Member

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Maybe if you quit paying rent it'll take him 6 months to evict you.

8. jda

jda New Member

Albums:
    It ends early May. If we could extend this to 90 days that would be awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted