help needed from London area members

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
I am coming to London in July for my school.staying an extra week...so I need help in findng a safe but inexpensive hotel....my cuz is meeting me the for my free week; we would like to get a 2 rm suite. Any suggestions on a good hotel? Fun stuff to do or see that might not be usual tourist fair? Thanks!!!!
Btw....can't tell you how excited I am to come there...always been a top 3 place I want to go to before I die lolol

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Define inexpensive.

The 'usual tourist fair' in London is pretty diverse as it is. Shows, shopping, food, history, art, museums, sports, markets, street theatre, clubbing, funky architecture, zoo, gardens - and that's just the run of the mill stuff.

What do you like?

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
London is grubby, dirty, expensive, the inhabitants aren't even British and they are unbelievably rude. An inexpensive two roomed suite: is that with or without the 10 minute daily clean by exploited illegal immigrants? Stick with Amsterdam, Paris, Rome or Edinburgh and enjoy real culture and normal people.

S

superbot

London is grubby, dirty, expensive, the inhabitants aren't even British and they are unbelievably rude. An inexpensive two roomed suite: is that with or without the 10 minute daily clean by exploited illegal immigrants? Stick with Amsterdam, Paris, Rome or Edinburgh and enjoy real culture and normal people.
Can't imagine what London you've been visiting,but I was in town yeterday and it was awash with tourists.GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD bar none...!

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media

he must of went to Manchester. I dont know hotels as i've always been 20 minutes away. Go to tower of london, the stories will blow your mind. Parliament is an amazing building. For art, go to southbank, near parliament, street art at its best. there is so much to see. for shopping i guess typical oxford street and Knightsbridge are best.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Umm, wrong. Well, I'll give you expensive but it's worth it.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
London is a fantastic city. Contrary to the comments made earlier, British citizens make up around 80% of the population, black Brits (around 10%), asian/indian Brits (around 12%) and white Brits (around 60%). The other roughly 20% would be non-British. As far as for Londoners all being rude, I could also generalise and say that they are all fabulously welcoming. As it is, and as I am sure you are aware, you'll probably find that people are people as much as they are in any western city.

I'm not sure about where to stay that would be affordable, although if you choose to stay away from the centre of town, you'll find cheaper accommodation.

As for touristy things to do.....first the obvious, if you haven't seen the Natural History museum, or the Victoria and Albert, then you must. These are fabulous museums and are beautiful as well. Both are in South Kensington. Check out Camden Market (mainly clothes and music) on a sunday. It's buzzing. Also Spitalfields market, great on a sunday (near Liverpool Street). For bars and coffee and people watching, go to SoHo, while you are there, check out Madame Jo Jo's for some camp drag and cabaret, on Brewer Street. Take in some live music at Ronnie Scott's on Frith Street. For art, try the Tate Modern, and then from there take a stroll through the city along the Thames, go west and you'll end up near the London Eye and the Aquarium, go east and you'll end up at Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.

They're all quite obvious choices, so I hope they help you get some tourist inspiration!

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Thanks to all! Eddy, lots of good advice and places! And as for rude, I go to NYC every yr, and have always found plenty of kind, friendly people; busy and in a rush, but luckily no rude. Actually, people are usually helpful there. Maybe it's my Texas accent...who knows! I usually go with my students every year, so as a vacation, it is working. The months of June & July, which are normally somewhat of vacation time for teachers, will be spent in working theatre camps for me, then on to school for 3.5 weeks of no sleep and tons of work. I plan on having fun....so the drag shows and cabaret sound like LOADS of fun...I adore both kinds!!!!!!
I am not looking forward to the $$$ part, but this is a once in a lifetime thing for me...so going to take on some extra work to try and save up some $$$. I've been getting a lil help in my theatre from some exchange students from a college in London. When talking to them about coming, I laughingly said that I am gonna have to just about prostitute myself to pay for my school and trip...poor dears are so literal! They told me "no problem (wish i could type with an accent!) just go stand out on the street!" I almost wet myself I laughed so hard!!!!! But I will darn sure wear some tiny skirts and lowcut tops if i am doing any cocktail waitress dates coming up during the holidays!

S

superbot

I am coming to London in July for my school.staying an extra week...so I need help in findng a safe but inexpensive hotel....my cuz is meeting me the for my free week; we would like to get a 2 rm suite. Any suggestions on a good hotel? Fun stuff to do or see that might not be usual tourist fair? Thanks!!!!
Btw....can't tell you how excited I am to come there...always been a top 3 place I want to go to before I die lolol
what you need to do when you get over here is to get to find out what's what as far as accomadation is concerned.London can be a bit pricey,but like most things there are ways around it. The obvious solution is to get to know someone who lives in the suburbs and travel into town each day,but thats something maybe for a return visit.I say return because there is SO much to do that you will need more than one trip.Unfortunately most Americans make the mistake of whizzing around various places at break-neck speed trying to do too much.The museums are the obvious choice of things to do as most are free,you must put the V&A top of your list and then the National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square.Camden Market,a walk on Hamptead Heath,a boat trip on the Thames and so and and so on....By the way if you don't already know first purchase should be an 'Oyster Card' to travel on public transport.Never pay just for a single journey ticket you teeth will fall out with fright!! Good luck...

watu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am usually in London for work and long weekends away, and often stay in central London. I would highly recommend you try the Travel Lodge chain: www.travellodge.co.uk they usually have good rates if you book well in advance. I would suggest you try and stay at the Covent Garden, Tower Bridge, London Euston branches as they are central and easy to walk into most tourist and night spots. Good luck.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm not sure about where to stay that would be affordable, although if you choose to stay away from the centre of town, you'll find cheaper accommodation.

Not necessarily - Last time I was in London I stayed at the YHA Central on Bolsover Street. It is a Youth Hostel, not a hotel - but it is in a brialliant location (5 min walk from Regent's Park) on the Circle Line/Metrpolitan/H&C tube lines. It is clean (really properly clean), the staff were great and the breakfasts and lunches served were good and very cheap for London. And it is safe - I felt completely secure staying there. Good atmosphere too - and loads of tourist info and help. They even run tours from there.

One night will cost you about £35 if you are not a YHA member and about £32 if you are. Of course there is no room service, no tv, you have to have your own towels and soap (though they sell both if you are without), the rooms ARE en suite but you are sharing with others (same sex) a la hostel set up.

There are other hostels in Central London that offer family rooms, i.e. you don't end up sharing with people you don't know, just the group you are with. The YHA Central doesn't do that and in summer season you will end up sharing (I got lucky off peak and only had one very nice Aussie girl in with me in a four bed room).

Might be worth looking into - London hotels are expensive.

Last edited:

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
THANKS again for ALL of your help! This may change some suggestions...I need a hotel with a 2 bedroom suite...my cousin is going to meet me in London at the end of the stay for my master's program, and we are going to enjoy a week of fun and sightseeing. I am not sure how to look up.....if i should look up as suite or whatever. THANK YOU TOALL who are helping me!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hi Red - I did a quick search and the cheapest I found is a B&B near Paddington Station / Hyde Park (a good location) - their 2 room suites are £159 or £165 per night for summer season, if you book online. At today's exchange rate that is $265 or $276 per night, for the suite, not each - so $1855 or $1932 for the week. Looking at their rates for their other types of room I do have to say their claim for being budget accomodation in Central London is completely valid and I can't imagine you'll get much cheaper than that. Other hotels I looked at started at £250 per suite (that's not far shy of $420 per night, at today's rates).

I can't say that I'd consider 1900 bux 'cheap', YMMV. Though being a B&B breakfast is, of course, included in that price. :smile:

Here's the link:
Central London Budget B&B Hotel

EDIT: Mind you, two of you in the Youth Hostel I suggested in my previous post would cost about $820 for the week and you'd be sharing with other travellers. I think Eddy's suggestion of looking for accommodation further out of town might yield better results. The search I did was [london hotel 2 bed suite] and I got loads of results - you just have to sift through them. Good luck.

Last edited:

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
THANKS MB! You are truly going above and beyond! I have sooo got to get my passport made for the holidays! I can't wait until this summer.......I am very excited to see all of the beautiful places that you have listed for me as "must sees"!
teresa

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
less than a week! i am trying to get all of my last minute stuff done!!!! once the 6 days of school stuff is finished, i will be ready for fun. i have a few nights off, and may be looking for fun during the school stuff too lolol tempt me!

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
THank you! i actually have hotel i have to stay at for first 6 days with my school group (all adults, no kiddies!) and then have another place for 7 days that I am looking forward to kicking back and having a BLAST!

D_Hilda Headlamps

Experimental Member
Media
I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!! just did the basic sightsee from the bus today...went and had some great food, and saw HAIR which was wonderful! I can't get over how green everything is...it definitely has surpassed all of my expectations! The next two weeks shall be amazing! I think that we are going to a club Sunday nite, just not sure of any good ones. what sux is i can only check my laptop from hotel grrrrr so if you have any suggestions, please email me the name, cost, addy, and what type of music. I don't care if straight or gay, but some of my friends want to hit up gay bars. If any good drag shows, PLEASE LET ME KNOW...even if they arent Sunday evening!
THANKS!
teresa