Help needed from people who are into body building/weight training diets.

BIG_DAVE

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey all, I know this isn't really the place for it but I'm throwing it out there. Basically my problem is I've started back training in the gym for the first time in 5 years and where's before it was to be fit and strong for competative MMA I've now returned after hanging up the gloves to look good and have a bit more confidence about myself. i.e. loose the beer gut and get big arms again!

After the Intense training I was doing before I know a huge part of my training is my diet and this is where I'm stuggling at the min. The greater amount of protein intake has making trips to the toilet for no 2 feel like what I'd imagine child birth to be like. As I've just started out my protein intake for the last couple of months hasn't been as heavy as it was 5 years ago so does anyone know what the deal is? Has my body got past the point of training?

I know it's a bit of a stupid problem but please SERIOUS replys only thanks!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I'm drinking 6 ltrs a day which I'm told should be helping the old digestive route stay on track but I can't think what else it could be.

That's a lot of water, I mean if you're doing a lot of cardio or are just trying to make your digestive system flush then maybe that's understandable but it's not necessary, you could be putting stress on your kidneys and urinary tract. You must be pissing all the time right?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
sorry that was ment to be 3 ltrs a day I drink 6 1/2 ltr bottles!

Oh OK :tongue:

Well to answer your OP I don't think you're too old for training, you just need to be getting the right kinds of protein and be balancing it with plenty of soluble fibre. Instead of protein drinks and meat go for nuts and pulses and seeds, all have loads of protein, and don't drink shakes and or eat protein bars.

The older you are the tougher things like bars and shakes will be on your digestive system. Keep up the water and drink things like mint tea to aid digestion and don't forget to really really really chew your food, it's so important to help you properly digest your food.

If you really need help then Psyllium will help you get your poo poos out no problem, take it in a drink and make sure you drink it quickly and fully mixed in to whatever liquid you choose to put it in to. Psyllium seed husks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Try increasing fiber. Or try Metamucil or dry powder you stir in a drink as a fiber supplement. If you are having painfully hard stools that might help it not feel like you're giving birth to an alien.

BIG_DAVE

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ahh now yous mention it I was actually told to keep my fiber in check and it completely went out the window. I can't believe I forgot about that! Thanks for the help everyone. I know I know, I'm stupid!

But in my defence, I'm having to do so much maths and grams of this per pound of that you dont take on board something like shites the size of a slitor and how they got there till someone points it out! Thanks lads you've been a great help.

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a member of bodybuilding.com & you'er suffering from 'protein fartz' syndrome.

First is to increase fiber intake
- eat oats, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, grain bread in preference to low fibre alternatives
- eat low carb veges - they contain lots of fiber & low calories - any green vege (but remember peas are high carb), mushrooms
- use psyllium/metamucil if you have to
- get 150g protein per day eg fish, beef, chicken,
- and finally use whey to supplement protein intake
- have a look at Lyle McDonalds website http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/applied-sports-nutrition-for-mixed-sportshttp://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Last edited:

the_new_godiva

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Try increasing fiber. Or try Metamucil or dry powder you stir in a drink as a fiber supplement. If you are having painfully hard stools that might help it not feel like you're giving birth to an alien.

^ Solution right there. It's so easy to mix unflavored metamucil into your protein stuff.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also, protien has improved in the last 5 years. It is more digestable than before. Part of it is due to the processing. They are more micronized now then ever before making them easier to digest. Also, some already come with Bromelin, a digestive enzyme made from pineapple. You may want to take digestive enzymes if you are still having trouble.

You also need to understand the different types of protiens and WHEN to take them.

Pre and Post workout protien should be whey. Whey is a fast acting protien so it should be taken right after a workout. And should be mixed with a sugar or glucose so the body will absorb it quickly into your muscles as the muscles replenish their glycogen levels. The latest trend right now is to mix it with waxy maize. That is so absorbant that it will even bypass your stomach and go right to your bloodstream, into your muscles. Bascially the sugar also spikes your insulin levels and puts you body in the best state to take up protein.

Meal replacement protien should be a mix of 80% casien and 20% whey. This is the best since it has the most complete protien profile, like you would get in your food.

Night time protien, or, before you go to bed, should be casien based since it is a slower digesting protein or "time released" to last you all night long and prevent the catabolic effect. Or the body eating your muscles away.

So, give it a try. I was going to list some product names, but I dont necessarily want to endorse any products. Why? Because in the end, the most important thing about powdered protiens are WHEN you take them as opposed to the best quality. Plus, it can get expensive and complicated when we start getting into the differences of whey isolates and concentrates.

If you want me to go there, let me know. LOL.

Oh, one more thing, if you are going to uptake your protien, you will have to drink more water. This is VERY important.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I re-read your post. What you need to mention is how much protien are you taking in now. Too much at once can be hard on the body, even with digestive enzymes.

Protien powders should be used stratigically. You should still be getting a good amount of protien from the foods you eat. If you do that, the only protien you really need is the whey protienm for post workout shake.

Powders are supposed to help and are more for convienence. They are easier to carry around then cooking all the time. The meal replacement protien, or MRP, serve this function. You take this to replace a meal so you can meet you daily protien needs which, unfortuantley, you will have to calculate.

About 5 years ago I was having trouble with a cheap whey protien. I know that "giving birth" thing you were talking about. I discovered that I was taking in in way to much at one time. So instead of using 2 scoops, I cut back to one scoop, and guess what? The problem went away.

The protien has to be spaced out throughout the day in basically equal parts. So do the "math", and get back on it.

I hope this helps.