Help newbie gain muscle

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by SR_P_Ness-Envie, Sep 6, 2011.

1. SR_P_Ness-Envie

SR_P_Ness-Envie New Member

Hello :) Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes...

I am really skinny, obviously, and I want to be buff. Quickly. Sounds simple enough. Unfortunately, I am a total gym newbie. I have no idea where to start or how to go about gaining muscle. Any and all advice, tips, routines, anything is appreciated.

2. Al7inchs_n_thick86

Al7inchs_n_thick86 New Member

Albums:
    Same here; but I'm looking more for subtle functional strength. I am starting some isometric excersizes using stretching cables.

I have been told to isolate muscle groups and work them on alternating days; allowing the last group worked to rest and heal while working on the next. IE: Legs and stomack monday; arms and back tues, chest, neck and wrists wedn. before going back to legs and stomach on thurs. and so on.

Stretch and warmup first.

3. B_debonair87

B_debonair87 New Member

first and foremost, you gotta increase your protein intake. you can eat 6 small meals a day with healthy meats (grilled/baked chicken, salmon, turkey, any lean meats). you can also buy whey protein which is highly recommended.

as far as work out routines there are so much out there. first figure out how much time you can invest in a gym (how man days a week) and pick a day to work certain muscles groups and remember to not work those same muscles within a 48hr period.

4. Ringtail

Ringtail New Member

milk and peanut butter everyday at least three times a day along with basic muscular fitness exercise (a little bit of weightlifting if your into it and have proper technique) and you will be buff in no time. Egg is also a good source of protein however i am allergic to it so i cant give firsthand experience on it.

5. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Squats.

6. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    I'm a personal trainer who had the same problem, and still does. Yet in the past two years I have gained 25lbs of pure muscle, and my body fat content is at 6%. Check out my photos if your curious as to how my body looks now. I am by no means, buff, but my body is in proportion, it looks good and I have great muscle tone. First and foremost, you aren't going to get anything overnight, it takes a lot of hard work especially if you are a hard gainer, which I assume you are.

7. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    My advice. Increase caloric intake of healthy meats, and other protein sources like dairy, legumes, humus, beans, etc. I would also take protein supplements twice a day along with a lean muscle mass gainer. Just make sure that the gainer is not testosterone or growth hormone based. MAke sure that if you add follow this kind've diet that you couple it with working out, if you don't work out then you'll just gain fat and no one wants to do that. The best workout I have found that works is one that was found in MAX magazine. I forget which month it was in, but it was this year and it was specifically geared towards hard gainers.

8. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    It's four days long with three rest days lying on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. It works your biceps and lats, lower back and abs on Monday, Your chest and Triceps on WEdnesday, Your legs and forearms on Friday, and your shoulders and traps and I think abs again on Sunday. It's a great workout it isn't too difficult and it does work. Minimize how much cardio you do. No more than 1 hour for the whole week. I hope you have success, and if you have any questions feel free to send me a personal message, along with pics of your results you have. If you find a workout that you like better do that one

9. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    Oh and as you make progress give yourself rewards so that you stay motivated, also make sure to track your progress. IF you have trouble knowing how to do exercises you can youtube them, there's many great tutorials on youtube that go unseen by many

10. SR_P_Ness-Envie

SR_P_Ness-Envie New Member

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice so far :)

It might be hard to minimize cardio, since I have to walk across campus every day all day. I'll definitely be posting update pictures, so watch for them :)

How do you recommend I track my progress?

11. smiffy

smiffy Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted