Help this thin boy get toned!--Swim? (thread moved)

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by swimmersox, Mar 11, 2010.

1. swimmersox

swimmersox Active Member

Hey all. I've always been pretty thin, and have always gravitated to running for my exercise (b/c I can listen to music, watch the world go by, etc.), and shied away from the gym b/c, frankly, I get bored & frustrated pretty quick.

Recently, though, I've sort of gotten into swimming, and it does seem to be having some effect in toning me up a bit, though just a little -- I'm still basically the gangly reedy guy I've always been.

So, the question: Does swimming really work in helping one 'tone up?' Or do I just plain have to face the music and head to the gym (sigh)? I've heard running is actually BAD for toning up (b/c it's too much cardio or something). Is swimming the same? Hope not.

If it helps, here are a couple of recent body shots (& with a cock one thrown in, just for the hell of it, this being LPSG 'n all...)
    Suggestions are really welcome. I don't want to be muscled up, but looking a little more 'substantial' wouldn't be bad.

I know a bunch of you guys are pretty experienced with all this, and I'd value your advice. (& a few of the ladies/guys just complimenting me on the parts of me that ARE ok wouldn't hurt the ego, either...lol)

So, many thanks, folks. Sincerely.
    Attached Images

Attached Files:

2. swimmersox

swimmersox Active Member

Just got back from a wicked long swim, and it might be my imagination, but my biceps feel bigger. Rationally, I know that can't be, as results take a long time. Or does a workout in and of itself 'pump things up' temporarily? (Yes, I'm a newbie to this stuff, so forgive my naivete...)

3. B_ordinarydude88

B_ordinarydude88 New Member

yes stuff like that will temporarily pump you up, the increased blood flowing through your muscles will make them seem like 2 or 3% bigger and stronger.

im no expert and im in the same boat as you; somewhat skinny and wanting to tone up a little bit.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

after looking at your pics, I think you sell yourself short (not referring to your cock).

5. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

I agree. You don't look skinny at all but rather toned.

6. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    First of all, I gree with Mike and Johnny that you have a very nice body. Nothing to feel inadequate about, AT ALL! The fact that you enjoy cardio is a good thing and swimming is far easier on your joints than running. Swimming wil build your arms and chest in a way that funning alone can't but if you want to bulk up beyond that, you may need to hit the weights. Even twenty minutes of weight lifting three times a week would probably bulk you up to a visible degree.
    Dave

7. Florida Boy

Gold Member

I don't think swimming will help that cock of your, at all. However, no help needed.

8. pwrdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    First, seconding probably ANYONE who sees you or your photos - you look great just as you are! However I understand you wanting to build up more bulk.

Back 10 years+ ago I lost way too much weight because of a drug regime I was on. I could not stop the drug combo so my doctor and my nutritionist were both working their best to give me more lean body mass.

Their consensus was to move much more into weight resistance and to increase the protein in my diet. I love swimming, and was still doing it. But I made myself go to the weight room for 30 - 45 minutes of slow lifting 4-5 days/week. Then, as a reward, I gave myself the swim at the end of my workout. In my case, which was unusual, they recommended not doing any anaerobic exercise like swimming for more than 20 minutes at a time and ideally only a few times/week.

I'm now off the drug regime. In three years I gained the 25-30 pounds I had lost and it all came on as muscle because of the resistance training. I stopped going to the gym 5 - 7 years ago because I took up a more physical sideline that keeps me in great shape & physique. Miss the swimming at the gym however - now I only swim in the summer in the pool or ocean.

Good luck buddy. Send me a private e-mail if you want more info on the slow lifting.

9. swimmersox

swimmersox Active Member

Thanks, pwrdick, esp. for the weight resistance tip.
    Here's a question: Right now, I'm pretty motivated to bulk up a bit, but knowing myself, I'll probably get distracted by other stuff at some point. If that happens, will my new muscle automatically go to flab if I do -- i.e., turning toned into tubby?
    If so, guess I'd rather stay thin than end up with, say, droopy pecs down the road. What think?

10. milkboy

milkboy New Member

You have a solid foundation already. You're basically at the point where if you stuck with a balanced weight-lifting regime (lifting heavy) while eating the food that you'd need, great results would follow.

If you want a GREAT body then you'll have to turn to weights eventually just like everybody else.

Regarding your question about inactivity, I guarantee that you'll have no such worries. First of all, muscle and fat are two completely different things. It's impossible to turn fat into muscle and vice-versa. It's possible to build muscle and then lose fat or lose muscle and gain fat giving that illusion.

Besides, once you start noticing results, I'm positive you'll be hooked. You will at the very least try to maintain what you've earned through your dedication. Assuming this, your hardwork will never go to shit. I speak from experience.

#10 milkboy, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  11. petetown

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Keep swimming....it'll tone your whole body. Add weight lifting to certain areas that you want to improve....then let time take it's course...you will fill out with age. Believe me. But find something that you like, i.e. swimming, and make it a constant. No workout routine is going to help if you hate it or don't stick to it. As for your physique now, I think it's just about perfect...but then I like em long and lean.

12. swimmersox

swimmersox Active Member

Thanks, guys. Sincerely.
    I've obviously read here & elsewhere about diet, and suggestions in that department. But anyone have any good suggestions about vitamin-type supplements that might help? Or is all that a bunch of junk, at least as far as building up some muscle is concerned?
    Thanks.

13. D_Thyrnebeck Wrinklebeast

From what I understand, vitamin-type supplements can help with overall health while trying to maintain a muscle-building diet. But might not help with the actual build itself. Maybe it depends on the blend?

Draft saved Draft deleted