Help with video cards.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_4inches, May 23, 2009.

1. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Ok, I'm on an older system I built for gaming. Had a lot of trouble with it and for the last 2 years thought it had died on me from a powere surge due to a brown out, a frequent occurence where I live. Turns out what had actually blown was the monitor, the one thing I didn't check initially, so I basically got my computer back (and bought a very nice 23" 1080P widescreen LCD) and aside from the single AGP slot being a bit odd (will randomly not send a signal to the monitor when I turn it on but not very frequently) I have my machine back.

What I want to do though is upgrade the graphics card but I'm having a lot of trouble picking one out. There is a local PC shop I went to and found an AGP card, a Spahire Radeon X1650 512 for $88 which I have found for cheaper on the net, a lot cheaper. But I've found other cards as well and would just like the most bang for my buck because I want it to be viable for at least a year so anyone who really knows video cards well (for the most part I can't tell the differance anymore) if you could help me find me some options in the $40-80 dollar range I would appreciate it. Just note that $80 would be at the extreme edge of what I'm willing to spend. Heres my system:

AMD Athlon 3000+
    Soyo Dragon II MB (I think)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 Mb (AGP)
    430 Watt PSU

If the card is really nice and isn't killing me for price I would consider upgrading the power supply for it if 430 watts isn't enough. I would prefer an ATI card simply cause it's what I'm use to but that's not such a big deal.

Here are links to the two cards I was looking at:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650Pro 512MB
    SuperBiiz.com - Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650Pro 512MB DVI/HDTV AGP Video Card

And

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB
    SuperBiiz.com - Limited Time Special! Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB 2DVI AGP Video Card

I am by no means attached to either of these cards they're just what I've run across so far.

Thanks in advance and PM me if you like if you need to ask me something :)

#1 B_4inches, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I swear by GeForce Nvidia I have the 8500gt and it worked fine with all the new vista games but I am afraid it is becoming bottom end. I haven't had an ati card since the all in wonder. I can't believe you can actually spend less for your computer then some video cards.

3. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a 9800 that I haven't put in yet...been sittin' around since
    Christmas... but if you want something viable for a year you'll probably have to spend more and undoubtedly will have to buy an upgraded power supply too. You might also wanna check out pcmag online:

Graphics Cards - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine

4. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    if your in the states check tigerdirect they have great deals on high end cards

Draft saved Draft deleted