Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Officer breast-feeds quake orphans

From Hugh Riminton
CNN International

JIANGYOU, China (CNN) -- A Chinese policewoman is being hailed as a hero after taking it upon herself to breast-feed several infants who were separated from their mothers or orphaned by China's devastating earthquake.

Officer Jiang Xiaojuan, 29, the mother of a 6-month-old boy, responded to the call of duty and the instincts of motherhood when the magnitude 7.9 quake struck on May 12.

"I am breast-feeding, so I can feed babies. I didn't think of it much," she said. "It is a mother's reaction, and a basic duty as a police officer to help."

The death toll in the earthquake jumped Thursday to more than 51,000, and more than 29,000 are missing, according to government figures. Thousands of children have been orphaned; many others have mothers who simply can't feed them.

At one point, Jiang was feeding nine babies.

"Some of the moms were injured, their fathers were dead ... five of them were orphans. They've gone away to an orphanage now," she said. http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/tabs/video.gifWatch the officer care for babies »

She still feeds two babies, including Zhao Lyuyang, son of a woman who survived the quake but whose breast milk stopped flowing because of the traumatic conditions. "We walked out of the mountains for a long time. I hadn't eaten in days when I got here and my milk was not enough," said that mother, Zhao Zong Jun. "She saved my baby. I thank her so much, I can't express how I feel."

Liu Rong, another mother whose breast milk stopped in the trauma, was awed by Jiang's kindness.

"I am so touched because she has her own baby, but she fed the disaster babies first," Liu said. "If she hadn't fed my son he wouldn't have had enough to eat." Jiang has became a celebrity, followed by local media and proclaimed on a newspaper front page as "China's Mother No. 1."

She's embarrassed by the fuss.

"I think what I did was normal," she said. "In a quake zone, many people do things for others. This was a small thing, not worth mentioning." http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/tabs/map.gifSee the quake zone »

There has been a huge outpouring of support from families who want to adopt babies orphaned by the quake. But that process takes time and there are mouths to feed. Jiang misses her own son, who's being cared for through the emergency by in-laws in another town, but she is aware of the new connections she's made.

"I feel about these kids I fed just like my own. I have a special feeling for them. They are babies in a disaster."

Ms.Teacher

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's so sweet of her.

They used to do that in my grandmother's day. A woman who for one reason or another was unable to breast feed would find a lactating mother to feed her children. They were called wet nurses.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's so sweet of her.
They used to do that in my grandmother's day. A woman who for one reason or another was unable to breast feed would find a lactating mother to feed her children. They were called wet nurses.

Actually that surprises me. I knew wet nurses were popular during the middle ages. I've not heard of them being used during the 20th century.

The practice of using wet nurses is ancient and found in many cultures. Sometimes it is linked to social class. Members of property-owning classes had their children wet-nursed, in the hope of becoming pregnant again quickly to ensure an heir. (Lactation can suppress ovulation.) Poor women, especially those who suffered the stigma of giving birth to an illegitimate child, sometimes had to give their baby up, temporarily or permanently, and a wet nurse would look after it.

One myth holds that the Egyptian princess Bathiah tried giving baby Moses to wet nurses, but he would not take their milk, for he was destined to speak with the Shekhinah. The prophet Muhammad was wet-nursed by Halimah bint Abi Dhuayb. Wet nursing was reported in France in the time of Louis XIV, the early 17th century. Later, Napoleon was wet-nursed by a woman called Camilla. Wet nurses were common for children of all social ranks in the southern United States during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Women took in babies for money in Victorian Britain, and nursed them themselves or fed them with whatever was cheapest. This was known as baby-farming; poor care sometimes resulted in high infant death rates.

Wet nursing has sometimes been used with old or sick people who have trouble taking other nutrition. John Jacob Astor and John D. Rockefeller reportedly hired wet nurses for their own use in their old age. [2]

Sigmund Freud's theories about the Oedipal complex are speculated to have been the result of his being raised by a wet-nurse, rather than his mother. This dissociation from his mother prevented the Westermarck effect from taking hold.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually that surprises me. I knew wet nurses were popular during the middle ages. I've not heard of them being used during the 20th century.

I think it depends on whether formula/milk is or was available. It's still practiced in some non-western cultures. A friend of mine did the modern alternative to a wet nurse-- she used breast milk from a milk bank since she was unable to produce enough for her child herself.

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I truly do think that's really, really, really great of her, but I just don't see why it's been getting all this attention, all over the news and the internet.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I truly do think that's really, really, really great of her, but I just don't see why it's been getting all this attention, all over the news and the internet.

That's because, you're a boy; and there is absolutely nothing any male can do that comes close to the ability which women have to give life. :cool:

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My wife was asked to be a wet nurse at our community hospital.We get lots of meth babies,babies given up for adoption etc.....As long as they pass a health&drug screening any woman can volunteer to feed the babie's

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
that's all well and good, no_strings, but the most important pregnancy of all time occurred ENTIRELY without any man being involved

have you guessed who I'm talking about yet?

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

to be fair, she said, "come close to" and i'm inclined to agree with her. men are, of course, wonderful to have around but after impregnation he needn't do anything else. women have to bear the burden of pregnancy, and up until recently when formula became readily available (which it still isn't in some places), a mother, or at least, a female has to feed the child for at least the first year.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
that's all well and good, no_strings, but the most important pregnancy of all time occurred ENTIRELY without any man being involved

have you guessed who I'm talking about yet?

Jesus was a man.

to be fair, she said, "come close to" and i'm inclined to agree with her. men are, of course, wonderful to have around but after impregnation he needn't do anything else. women have to bear the burden of pregnancy, and up until recently when formula became readily available (which it still isn't in some places), a mother, or at least, a female has to feed the child for at least the first year.

NJ specifically mentioned the giving of life; not the giving of birth or the raising of the child.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Jesus was a man.

Yes, but not at the time of his birth.

Except for Byzantine Catholics, who believe that he never had a childhood or infancy, but was rather born fully mature, but simply miniature.

HOWEVER I do agree with your main point. A man and woman have equal parts in giving life. It begins at conception, not some later point. Some people do not consider a zygote to be "alive", some think that life begins at the third trimester. To those people, which NJ may very well be one of, the mother truly DOES give life, because she provides the biological environment for the zygote to mature into a fetus.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NJ specifically mentioned the giving of life; not the giving of birth or the raising of the child.

point taken-- i just didn't read what she said as literally as you did. pregnancy and feeding can be considered "life giving" activities.

hey! i have an idea! let's take over this thread by debating semantics and get more and more nasty until we get warned. are you game?