He's Pregnant, You're Speechless

D

deleted3782

In case you see a pregnant guy...

He’s Pregnant. You’re Speechless.
New York Times
By GUY TREBAY

Published: June 22, 2008
WHEN Thomas Beatie gives birth in the next few weeks to a baby girl, the blessed event will mark both a personal milestone and a strange and wondrous crossroads in the evolution of American pop culture.

[URL]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/06/22/fashion/22pregnant.2-190.jpg [/URL]

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/06/22/fashion/22pregnant.3-190.jpg

Mr. Beatie — as anyone who has turned on a television, linked to a blog or picked up a tabloid in the last few months is aware — is a married 34-year-old man, born a woman, who managed to impregnate himself last year using frozen sperm and who went public this spring as the nation’s first “pregnant father.”

That this story attracted attention around the world was hardly surprising. Who, after all, could resist the image of a shirtless Madonna, with a ripe belly on a body lacking breasts and with a square jaw unmistakably fringed by a beard? For a time, clips of Mr. Beatie’s appearance on “Oprah,” where he was filmed undergoing ultrasound, as well as shirtless images of him from an autobiographical feature in the Advocate magazine, were everywhere, and they were impossible to look away from.

Partly a carnival sideshow and partly a glimpse at shifting sexual tectonics, his image and story powered past traditional definitions of gender and exposed a realm that seemed more than passing strange to some observers — and altogether natural to those who inhabit it.
“This is just a neat human-interest story about a particular couple using the reproductive capabilities they have,” said Mara Kiesling, director of the National Center for Transgender Equality in Washington. “There’s really nothing remarkable” about the Beatie pregnancy, she said.

Yet as the first pregnant transman to go public, Mr. Beatie has exposed a mass audience to alterations in the outlines of gender that may be outpacing our comprehension. In the discussions that followed his announcement, what became poignantly clear is that there is no good language yet to discuss his situation, words like an all-purpose pronoun to describe an idea as complex as a pregnant man.

Read the full article here.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's actually a woman who takes hormones to look like a man...don't really see what the big deal is

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's actually a woman who takes hormones to look like a man...don't really see what the big deal is

I agree, she is still biologically a woman, she just lives her life as a man (therefore being a 'he') but everything down south is still 100% lady. It would be the same as reporting on a transvestite : "woman fathers a baby". No disrespect to the guy, it's however not the miracle that Oprah was raving about.

D

deleted3782

Its a bit unusual, but its not the end of the world...I agree.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"He" was/is a biological female with a uterus that wasn't removed. This story makes for great attention grabbing headlines but it's really just not true, with all due respect to the transgendered out there. The story will be more true when a biological man that doesn't have a womb is pregnant.

One day a man will be pregnant, artificially of course. An Australian lady gave birth to a full term ectopic pregnancy and survived. In the UK a lady had triplets, and one of the triplets was ectopic. Goes to show you nearly anything is possible.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm, at first I was shocked when I saw this a few months ago.

Technically the "Pregnant Man" is genetically and biologically a woman. IMO, That is the way he was born and since he did not have his uterus removed when he had his gender reassignment surgery, his being pregnant is actually not that odd.

D

deleted3782

I sorta wonder why a woman, who identifies herself as a man enough to make the effort to present herself publically and physically as a man by lopping off his tits and taking hormones to grow facial hair, then turns around to become pregnant to have a baby with his wife. As a man who identifies himself as a man, I would never want to become pregnant...

Again, the earth won't stop turning, but I'm not so quick to call this yawn material. At the very least, Mr Beatie has many irons in the fire...or buns in the oven.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
It will be interesting to see what this child looks like, if the hormones his body had been producing has altered anything. I can't help to think how that child is going to feel growing up though... thinking my daddy gave birth to me. I think really it's going to be a difficult life for that child.

D

deleted3782

It seems to be there is a rift here between "I am a man" (as I thought transgendered folks felt), versus "I just want to look like a man, but I'm a woman inside". Its a new and imaginative way of defining yourself in terms of gender.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It will be interesting to see what this child looks like, if the hormones his body had been producing has altered anything. I can't help to think how that child is going to feel growing up though... thinking my daddy gave birth to me. I think really it's going to be a difficult life for that child.

i totally agree. it's not like she'll have other friends who went through the same thing. and it's an interesting thing, even though technically, he's not really a full fledged man. i didn't read the whole article so anybody know if he'll give birth naturally or c-section?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
i totally agree. it's not like she'll have other friends who went through the same thing. and it's an interesting thing, even though technically, he's not really a full fledged man. i didn't read the whole article so anybody know if he'll give birth naturally or c-section?
It didn't say.. but I'd imagine c-section. The child is going to be a freak of nature and that might be hard for her to deal with. I really sympathize for her. There is going to be a lot of internal conflict with her.. probably will need lots of therapy too.

D

deleted3782

He had a phallus built out of his clit...so a natural birth would do a number on his thang.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since this story debut on Oprah's Its A Man Having a Baby Show, it occur to me that
1. It is a woman. Ok she a woman. Until they can change actual chromosomes you are just rewrapping the package.
2. What new legal questions will this bring toward? If they divorce who gets the child support payments?
3. Why is this news? I am sure this is has occur before, maybe just less documented.
4. Will this be the start of transgenders having babies, blurring the lines of what a mother/father is? Will there be more books like this?
5. Just what will the baby call Ms / Mr Beatie ? mom or dad
6. And finally with all thats going on in the world just how much longer will this be topic for a major newspaper?

Last edited: