Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The definitions of words evolve with how we use them. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual. Sure, whatever. You may say it means "strictly sexual attraction," but for others it denotes "emotional attraction." And for some people sexual attraction =/= emotional attraction in the same way that for some people sexual orientation =/= sexual behavior.

I don't know why people get so hung up on labels. Some people never want to change theirs, and some people are comfortable in creating new ones, and then some people want to force others to adhere to their own personal definitions.

I like that whole Kinsey "sexual orientation is an ever changing thing on a scale" or whatever blah, blah, blah.

Blagoblog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The definitions of words evolve with how we use them. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual. Sure, whatever. You may say it means "strictly sexual attraction," but for others it denotes "emotional attraction." And for some people sexual attraction =/= emotional attraction in the same way that for some people sexual orientation =/= sexual behavior.

I don't know why people get so hung up on labels. Some people never want to change theirs, and some people are comfortable in creating new ones, and then some people want to force others to adhere to their own personal definitions.
I think the asexual community has come up with a good set of terms to distinguish these shades of meaning, like "heteroromantic" and "aromantic"

Also the only thing I don't like about the current system of labels is that it is incomplete, like there's no good term for someone exclusively attracted to female or intersex people.

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"A person who enjoys sex with both male & females but considers themself heterosexual in the sense that they do not relate with the same sex for an emotional relationship like a bi-sexual could. Heteroflexible is a heterosexual person that is beyond the bi-curious stage but would never engage in an emotional relationship with the same sex."

What do you all think? Have you heard of this before? Could this be a valid term? Or is it just another useless label that eases people minds when they're confused about themselves?
Sorry, but I have to say I agree with your last sentence, and with the ever reliable Nick8 below.
Sorry, but for my money you peeps are full of shit. If you're so "just" horny, go fuck a melon.

The fact is, you love cock on some level. The problem is, you have a problem accepting the fact that you can't love that there's a person attached to it and a psyche as well. So, you try to divorce yourself from that.

You "kids" with your all "don't label me" bullshit is ridiculous. It's all about the fact that you don't know how to confront yourselves and face up to yourselves. I'm tired of it. The idea that you actually want to, and enjoy, sucking and getting fucked by, dick but can't "emotionally relate" to men is a total load of shit. You need to integrate yourselves.

Seriously, stop trying to compartmentalize everything. It can't be done and you're only fooling yourselves and each other. If you want to be a real grownup, it means working these things out. You don't have to make full, 100% decisions here and now, but you have to fully synthasize yourselves eventually if you want to move on and progress.

Jon is also onto something. It's a sign of immaturity if you can't integrate your emotional life with your sex life. It's no crime, but it just means that you've got some work to do before you can fully satisfy that other person in your life. (Even though you may have all the satisfaction you need for yourself!)

So provided you prominently display the label "Caveat Emptor" you can carry on regardless. Just don't marry someone without telling them about his aspect, and don't have sex with someone else without telling them that you're never gonna commit to them. Hopefully, that way fewer people get hurt. I've met a few guys like you, and it hurts too much, so I have to keep my distance.

Finally the truth is spoken with no holds barred. Thanks, Nick. I think the "no label" excuse has a little merit in certain circumstances but generally speaking if someone is having sex with another person they have to acknowledge the truth of the situation, and emotional integration is a huge part of that. This idea that guys can just suck cock or get sucked and that it means nothing is a whole crock of shyt. After all whether you want to believe it or not, "just sex" is two people relating to each other and it does have consequences for both parties. It's not so much what you call it, but rather how you deal with what emotions it brings up in you and how you integrate those feelings into the rest of your life. I see a whole let of suffering in the world created by men (and women) who disregard their sexual affairs to their own detriment. Pretending like something didn't happen or is "just sex" is a cop-out which will affect the parties somewhere down the line. I feel the mature response is to "own" what we do however we may define it.

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry, but I have to say I agree with your last sentence, and with the ever reliable Nick8 below.

Jon is also onto something. It's a sign of immaturity if you can't integrate your emotional life with your sex life. It's no crime, but it just means that you've got some work to do before you can fully satisfy that other person in your life. (Even though you may have all the satisfaction you need for yourself!)

So provided you prominently display the label "Caveat Emptor" you can carry on regardless. Just don't marry someone without telling them about his aspect, and don't have sex with someone else without telling them that you're never gonna commit to them. Hopefully, that way fewer people get hurt. I've met a few guys like you, and it hurts too much, so I have to keep my distance.
You are full of self-righteous assumptions, aren't you? I have no problem integrating my emotional life into my sex life. I bond very, very well with men, and always have. I just can't form those kind of bonds with women. It isn't a choice, it isn't immaturity, I just don't like women that way. Women, in my life are for sisterhood and sex. I don't have romantic, lovey-dovey feelings for women like I do with men. You have a maturity problem if you cannot resist projecting YOUR emotional experiences onto other people. My husband is very well satisfied. Every woman I ever laid with was satisfied; they didn't want anything more than sex either. Do you have sex with people who do not have the same expectations of the encounter? THAT kind of failure to communicate would be a sign of immaturity.

That you cannot have a sexual relationship that is primarily about the physical sensations is fine for you. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. I am happy with the way I experience sex; it is emotionally fulfilling when there are emotions and a certain level of intimacy. It is always physically fulfilling. I have to ask: Are you incapable of a one night stand? Do you love casual lovers? I don't do one-offs, but I have had very casual sexual relationships with men and women, and I didn't love any of them at first. I became friends with a lot of them, and had (still have) a kind of fraternal love for them, but never any passionate love. It was fun. It must have met their needs too; they still call.

I do not need to warn anyone that the buyer needs beware, and I don't need your fucking permission to "carry on regardless", nor do any of the men in this thread who also identify as heteroflexible. You've been hurt by someone who only wanted loveless sex from you? Did you ask them beforehand if it was possible for your sexual relationship to blossom into a romance? It happened more than once? You mean you didn't learn the first time that not everyone experiences life the same way, nor is looking for the same thing? Man. I'm sorry to hear that, if that's the case. But you have got to learn to communicate, and only to deal with people who you feel also communicate well. I do not see you as a blameless victim.

When I was single, I fucked a lot of men, and a few women. At first I told them all I just wanted to have casual sex, and I wasn't interested in anything more. Actually, a lot of them told me first that was what they wanted, and I told them I was relieved to hear that. Later, when I was open to more, I was even less attracted to women (or perhaps just happened to encounter even fewer women I felt any kind of attraction to) and I told men that I wasn't looking necessarily to have a serious relationship or become a couple, but that I was open to it if it seemed like it was going that way.

How you experience love and sex is particular to you, individually. Try to get two people to even agree on what love is. Very difficult. Why can't you accept someone else's experience as they present it? Does it make you feel superior when you tell them they are not emotionally mature? Is it soothing to your wounded feelings?

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was going to post something, but seeing as how we have just stopped off at Bizzaro's Wold of Wack-a-Doddle hypotheticals (this after a four page layover at assumptions r' us), I have deemed it better to just watch how this plays out for a bit more.

This has become the most entertaining of threads. Mostly due to two of my fav peoples. Please, continue! :popcorn:*

*i will post a proper response later, but I don't want to interupt the festivities quite yet..they may get even better!:eek::tongue:

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would call the dude a pedophile because I never heard him self-identify as anything different. I allow people to self-identify, and only ask for the same in return.

Now, (because I anticipate this becoming a question) if Dude told me he wasn't a pedophile because he prefers grown women most of the time, I'd be like, "See that dude over there? He has been known to fuck little boys. He should be in prison or dead, but in the mean time, keep your children away from him."

I don't need to use an identifier for other people if they have rejected that identifier.

Thanks for adding to the hilarity. You are arguing both sides of the argument at once.

As for my own attitude to casual sex, which was certainly not my point at all, I'm all for it, so long as no one gets hurt. So I agree the only honest way is to communicate. Sorry for assuming you were a male, you've cleared that up. We're still talking about someone who enjoys heterosexual privileges such a marriage while taking advantage of the affections of disposable same sex partners. I know, "All care, no responsibility", there are no innocent victims etc etc.

Your level of emotional maturity is not in question, you have demonstrated that quite clearly.

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I am having a pretty good day; I got a lot done so far. I hope you are too, thank you.

Thank you for the clarification; I did misunderstand. People understand what they understand, but it is important to me to be as accurate as possible, and to be true to myself. I view bisexual as a "close enough" descriptor, but not an accurate one. Think of it this way: It is the difference between describing the same penis as 7 inches or 18 centimeters. Both may be true, to an extent, but one is definitely more accurate.

Agreed! What's it to anyone if someone prefers to coin or use a word or phrase which she or he feels more accurately defines one of those more specific categories of preference.

See, this is why I adore you. You are a fucking riot! You are gonna have me laughing too loud for the time of day over here.

I would call the dude a pedophile because I never heard him self-identify as anything different. I allow people to self-identify, and only ask for the same in return.

Now, (because I anticipate this becoming a question) if Dude told me he wasn't a pedophile because he prefers grown women most of the time, I'd be like, "See that dude over there? He has been known to fuck little boys. He should be in prison or dead, but in the mean time, keep your children away from him."

I don't need to use an identifier for other people if they have rejected that identifier.

I believe that I do owe you a response, Little Ma'am. So looking at your response, I have to wonder- would you really just tell someone that some guy likes to fuck little boys from time to time? Realistically? I've come to the conclusion that you probably wouldn't, since you stated that you would tell that person that he should be in prison or dead. That's a bit hostile. If you truly feel that way about pedophiles, I don't believe for a moment that you would give this man the courtesy of not acknowledging who/what he is. For you to feel that way, you would possibly want that man to know for himself the predator that he is.

So, lets be for real here. If all of these other men can claim to others that they're heterosexual/straight, then I guess I should be able to as well. Since there are so many categories under this one particular label and all. Anyone with any sense would straight up ask "who the hell is he trying to fool?" But hey, if it can work, why not?!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I believe that I do owe you a response, Little Ma'am. So looking at your response, I have to wonder- would you really just tell someone that some guy likes to fuck little boys from time to time? Realistically? I've come to the conclusion that you probably wouldn't, since you stated that you would tell that person that he should be in prison or dead. That's a bit hostile. If you truly feel that way about pedophiles, I don't believe for a moment that you would give this man the courtesy of not acknowledging who/what he is. For you to feel that way, you would possibly want that man to know for himself the predator that he is.

So, lets be for real here. If all of these other men can claim to others that they're heterosexual/straight, then I guess I should be able to as well. Since there are so many categories under this one particular label and all. Anyone with any sense would straight up ask "who the hell is he trying to fool?" But hey, if it can work, why not?!
Um. . . To be fair, you've asked a ridiculous question with absolutely no grounding in reality. If you want a realistic answer, ask a realistic question. :rolleyes:

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Um. . . To be fair, you've asked a ridiculous question with absolutely no grounding in reality. If you want a realistic answer, ask a realistic question. :rolleyes:

Realistic or not, what's the answer? You may feel that the questions are ridiculous, but I believe that they actually stay in sync with the questions and ideas of this thread.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You haven't asked any questions I haven't answered. You asked what I would call the boy-botherer who didn't want to be known as a pedophile because he preferred to fuck grown women. I answered. You didn't think my answer seemed realistic, but it is my answer to your unrealistic question. You never asked anything further. So. What do you want from me?

Last edited:

forsterfan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This has been one of the most interesting threads to me personally in a long while. I appreciate the variety of points of view. Most specifically, I cannot agree more with any one sentiment other than Altered Ego's comment that "[y]ou have a maturity problem if you cannot resist projecting YOUR emotional experiences onto other people." Indeed. I think part of the deeper issue is that identity and desire are a very complicated mixture of emotion and intellect --- and extrapolating about other individuals' set of experiences can be a very slippery-slope.

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You haven't asked any questions I haven't answered. You asked what I would call the boy-botherer who didn't want to be known as a pedophile because he preferred to fuck grown women. I answered. You didn't think my answer seemed realistic, but it is my answer to your unrealistic question. You never asked anything further. So. What do you want from me?

Nothing further, thanks

NEWREBA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

I know this isn't directed at me but I want to respond to it because even though I like some of the things you say, you say them with a fucked-up attitude. This whole discussion has been hijacked by your negativity, alteredego, from my POV. I felt it from the beginning when you first posted.

What do I want from you? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know this isn't directed at me but I want to respond to it because even though I like some of the things you say, you say them with a fucked-up attitude. This whole discussion has been hijacked by your negativity, alteredego, from my POV. I felt it from the beginning when you first posted.

What do I want from you? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!
You are assigning negativity to my posts because I called you on your bullshit and you couldn't refute me. Now I actually do have something negative to say: Fuck off.

Last edited:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok this was a fun thread, and interesting, but now it is getting really sad watching three people i like arguing over it.

Here are my two cents. I identify as a gay male. I understand that, per the dictionary definition, that only means sexual attraction to men. But i think most people would say that sexuality isn't just who you want to fuck, but who you are emotionally attarcted to as well. So for me, I am emotionally attracted to other males as well as want to boink and be boinked by them. I have platonic love for women. I can appreciate there bodies the way I appriciate good art. A womens body is beautiful to me, and i love drawing them, but does it do anything for me sexually? No. Does the thought of kissing a women turn me on. No. Does it repel me? Of course not. There is just nothing sexually there. I do get turned on by the sound of people having sex. Not just two (or more) guys, but heterosex, and when I lived with a lesbian couple I was turned in hearing them go at it. Visually I LOVE seeing two guys, enjoy seeing a man and a women, and am disinterested in two women. Cani have very strong feelings of love for a woman. Of course. Is it romantic? Not in the least.

I think that some people do use these gray area terminologies to get the benefits of the more mainstream and socially accepted sexual identity. But for just as many it is an apt descriptor of who they are, no deceptiveness involved.

NoH8: I think you would agree that sexuality is a scale, where not every one is at a 10, a 5 or a 0. so for those people who are at say a 7 or a 3, wouldn't it be them being more true to themselves by expressing their sexualality in a way as described by, in this instance "heteroflexible"? I am sure there are people who are "homoflexible", people who identify as gay and lesbian but who enjoy the occasional physical relation with a member of the opposite sex (there is a thread currently about gay guys who like pussy, for example). Then there will be those "-flexibles" who may be the other way inclined, where they are predominately gay or straight but have no sexual interest in the opposite or same sex but can have a very romantic type bond with said sex. Their love a higher degree of platonic. Then there are those who are bi but are not an even 50/50 split, which are most of the bisexuals I have met. Who are we to tell them how they should describe themselves?

So I can totally see where Altered is coming from, even though it doesn't describe me. It describes her. It works for her. Before she was in a monagamous relationship, she had sex with men and some women, but though she could love the gals, it was a platonic buddy love, not the romantic love that she had for guys (and for one night stands we will say it was the potential platonic versus the potential romantic).

Altered: I get where you are coming from. i have a few friends who I would say are heteroflexible. However please keep in mind that there are those who are not as true as you are to yourself, and who do take adavantage of the social accetance found with being straight but will fuck around with members of the same sex. They see the gay or lesbian as a convienent release and manipulate the gay persons feelings to keep them from wandering, and thus leaving the "straight" person without a convienent fuck buddy. Then the poor gay person is left holding th emotionl bag. As NoH8 was. Since niether you nor I was there, we cannot draw conclusions as to if NoH8 was seeking out emotionally unavalible people or if he just had bad luck.

These people may even have feelings well above and beyond the platonic. They may very well be in love with the gay individual. They may be a 60/40 split bi person, but because they do not want the ramifications and loss of privilage that straights have, refuse to be true to themselves, They may even admit this. I should know. My Fb/FWB (who i formerly called My Guy) is this second type of person. By his own admittance. He doesn't see himself as gay or bi really. Everyone knows him as straight. He just doesn't know if he could live in a gay relationship. But he loves me. A dude. I do believe he loves me. I think he is a 60/40 or perhaps a 70/30 split. But it is also his choice to be deceptive as to who he is, to take the easy way out, then to give a realtionship with a man a real try. He has had 2 failed relationships with women in the past 10 years, and would rather have that, then be percieved as anything but straight to the populace at large. We are each others most effective FB's partly because of the romantic love there, but I have no illusions anymore that it will ever be anything more. I am keeping m eyes open for someone who can be that perfct match for me, and he knows it. That doesn't mean we can't have fun in the meantime. I am not mad at him, or begrugg him anything. it is what it is, though the realization of it hurt horridly at the time.

Dante: I get where you are coming from, with the do we need even more terms that can be pretty useless if people are not owning them. And I agree that if people should be honest about themselves always to everybody. So if asked you would describe yourself in your way, and Altered in hers, and NoH8 in his. Yours is a very descriptive way and leaves little room for misinterpretation. NoH8's is the same. Altered's has that same potential as more people come to understand what the phrase means. Of course the onus of getting them to understand falls squarely on the shoulders of Altered and other self identified hetero (and homo) flexibles. So if she says "I am heteroflexible" she should not say "or bisexual if that is easier to understand" but expalin what it means, like, "i am basically straight, but I can enjoy the right woman physically, form time to time." The only way that a new term is going to gain acceptance and understanding is if it is properly explained to people. And the only way that is going to happen is if the people who want to describe themselves thusly own the term unflinchingly ang unwaveringly in all circumstances.

Anyways that is my take.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Um... My relationship is monogamous. My only sexual partner is my husband. Being occasionally attracted to women doesn't mean I have to have sex with every woman who catches my eye and agrees.

I must have misunderstood, or at least given you the wrong impression. I thought this thread was about the idea of someone who preferred uncommitted casual sex with same gender partners but who would only consider an emotional relationship with an opposite gender partner.

As the thread has evolved, it seems that you thought that the topic is about what you do, as an individual, and what I and others think about that as an option. Sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that I wish to discuss your behaviour. I don't know you so I have no opinion on that. It makes no difference to me if you are monogamous or not.

I did wish to say that people who can not be emotionally involved with people they have sex with are at risk of hurting others if there is not sufficient sharing or communication of their intentions in common. I do think that with more maturity one can form meaningful attachments with friends, sex partners and lovers. I still feel suspicious of heterosexuals and bi-sexuals who flirt with or have sex with same sex contacts without any interest in the person.

It seems to me that such an attitude is like having one's cake and eating it too. I resent that you criticised me for expressing the hurt that such people have caused me in the past. You have no right.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NoH8: i am sure Altered didn't mean to be so harsh on you, as I am sure you didn't mean to be harsh on her. i hope you read my post directly above yours. I hate speaking for others but it was my take on the whole thing, so if i am wrong please let me know.