Heterophobia

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Jun 19, 2009.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I suffer from it to one degree or another.

Well, to be more specific, I'm heterophobic often toward heterosexual men.

Heteroseuxal women rock. I'm quite sure I was one in my last life. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know what causes it. It's not imagined. In general are heterosexual men less tolerant generally than all others? (I want to give immunity to our dear Drifterwood for he appears to be a sterling exception to this rule of mine) Apparently he's come out unscathed. I love him dearly and he's never offended me once. I count him among my best friends at this site.

But for the life of me I cannot understand - more often than not - why heterosexual men appear to feel they need to orchestrate the entire bloody universe. Please don't lambaste me you straight guys. I truly want to know what's going on.

Any ideas?

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm, probably does exist.

Maybe everyone is slightly wary of groups of people that are different to them - or that they might not understand all that well?

3. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Are hetero men actually less tolerant, or are they afraid of what society might think of them if they were? Lot's of times you get these guys alone (not that way) and they'll reveal a completely different side than their public persona.

food for thought

4. morsecode

morsecode New Member

5. MickeyLee

Gold Member

queer people cannot be heterophobic, phobia implies an irrational dislike or mistrust, gay people living in america have every reason to be reactive, to not like straight people.

queer folk as second class citizen. we're denied basic rights with minimal outcry from the people in power. i'll give that on the whole heterosexuals are more permissive of alternative sexualities but not to the extent of legitimizing or protecting individuals that might step out of the norm.

so you can't irrationally hate a group of people that spend billions of dollars a year to strip you of your rights. you can't irrationally hate a group of people who sit by while a targeted group are being denied rights.

to me is perfectly natural to hate the motherfucker standing on the back of your neck.

ml
    hetrocentric entitlement is a bitch.

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I have an irrational dislike and mistrust. I should have been more clear. I have no fear of them in the abstract.

I rest my case :rolleyes:

Be informed morsecode that the word has morphed to mean the above along with a "fear". Again I should have been clearer. I have no fear of them... except if I find they want to kill me for no reason which actually has happenend...

Crystal clear. Thanks! :smile:

And entirely unconstitutional to boot. :wink:

7. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterophobia

Try this.

#7 MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. MickeyLee

Gold Member

umm fixed that for ya? survival instinct/self preservation is not irrational.

ml

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you are heterophobic, if you have an irrational dislike and mistrust of straight men, then are you any different from "them"? Seems to me that many gays are suffering from the same fear and loathing of the other that many str8 guys do. I've taken flak from gay men for being bisexual. They don't trust me or are repelled by the concept.

Doesn't matter what the reasons are. Hate is hate. I think that for most people it comes down to ignorance of the other and a certain unwillingness or laziness to leave a comfort zone and come to a point of understanding.

10. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't be Heterophobic. They're raising the kids you'l be picking up at gas stations or library bathrooms someday! Heeeeeeeeeeee

11. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

How can someone say that a group of people can not be phobic or racist in some form or fashion? Every group of individuals has had a background of struggling in some form or another, so that does not exempt them from being prone one way or the other.

-isms and -phobias have a root in feeling a certain way towards whatever because of lack of understanding, misconceptions and fear. So those who say that black people are incapable ofbeing racist because they've experienced racism personally are talking ridiculousness. Look at the history of humankind, every group hated some sort of other group and had problems with them for this, that and the other.

Having been discriminated against and made fun of for being a redhead doesnt make me less prone to disliking blondes if i want to. Not that i do. I just find that argument to hold no water.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good posts Vince and MR...

13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I never used the word "hate". Mistrust is better vince. And I have good cause. However I am not (as Mademoiselle Rouge suggests) any less human than the next. And by in large I see this male heterosexually controlled society only barely beginning to relinquish its age-old hold on everything from sexual mores to the marketplace. This is not an imagined mistrust in my opinion. It's based in historical fact.

What's to understand?

A two-by-four over my head?

It precludes an individual from reasoning once violence and a refusal to make room for all are brought into play. I witness it in the posts of many of the heterosexual male posters here too. It can be subtle but it's there.

I recall recently one poster called those like me "pillow biters".

Curious.

I can (in good conscience) tell you that when I approach any male be he hetero or homosexual I approach them as friend first always. How that individual comports himself after that has made me feel as I do.

Yeah but I get 'em before they're all caught up in being manly... :cool::tongue:

It's wiki. No help.

#13 B_Stronzo, Jun 19, 2009
  14. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I like your wording better. :wink: Thanks.

** I SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLEARER WITH THE THREAD TITLE.

For the sake of the OP here I'm going by the following definition but only the bolded piece:

I apologize for hurling out a term which leaves too much room for misinterpretation within the context of what I'm trying to get at here.

"Heterophobia is a term used to describe irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against heterosexuals. ... "

Perhaps the entire word "heterophobia" is a misnomer since it doesn't really get at the crux of what I'm trying to find out.

#14 B_Stronzo, Jun 19, 2009
  15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    You'd think after 2 years on this site I would know how to break a post up into those nice neat little quotation boxes. But I don't. so sorry for the mess of a post.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I really have to judge each person on their own merit. I have many heterosexual male and female friends, I am sometimes phobic about certain gay people because of their ideals and beliefs. It really boils down to much more to me than what you do behind closed doors.

17. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

That is the ideal Nudeyorker.

I don't get along well with certain gay men as well.

But what I'm getting at is what is this entitlement thing many heterosexual males (not all) appear to think they have? Where's that come from? Isn't the goal equality?

Hetero females (one cannot help but notice) far more often embrace the homosexual male than any other gender or orientation. That's what I'm trying to put a handle on.. why is that?

18. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hetrophobia, yeah, i do suffer from this. Hetro men scare the shit out of me... not always but more often then not...

19. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a combination of testosterone and hippocampus structure.

20. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I cagtegorically disagree. By in large it's hetero men.

Visit a YouTube site and enter "being gay is wrong". The most outrageous commentors against my sexual orientation are by far heterosexual males.

The ratio is easily ten to one male versus female.

You know? Perhaps it is just that simple. Thanks for the insight.

#20 B_Stronzo, Jun 19, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted