Hey!  I LIKED ATARI! ...but these kids don't.

sammygirly: Ever wonder what kids today would think of the "amazing" video games that kept us busy as children?? These guys did...so they tortured a bunch of today's kids with yesterday's games....

Can I just say that the ET one had me rolling - because I tried to win that @#$^% confusing bugger for like a year straight?

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1338767,00.asp

prepstudinsc: LOL Sammy that was a great article. Makes me think back to Jr. High and High School. When I was in 6th and 7th grade, there was a local arcade that awarded people with good grades...If you brought in your report card, they'd give 2 tokens for every A and 1 token for every B on there. Of course, it was a ploy for you to buy more tokens to play, but it worked. I couldn't wait for report cards to come out so I could go to the arcade with my friends and play Pac-Man and Asteroids. LOL Thinking about those games now, they were really cheesy, but they were pretty advanced for the early 80's.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My kids and I spent hours playing PONG.

Talk about the advanced game-playing skills that game required! :D

Pecker

(Sign at a convenience store: OPEN SEVEN DAYS A WEEK INCLUDING WEEKENDS)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I can honestly say, Atari's ET sucked more than the special edition. (I hate directors who change classics to make more money.) And their Pac-Man was hastily thrown together. But they were all we had at the time. And who hasn't played at least some 2600 games, even in updated form?

1001010 1100011 1100010

H8Monga: I used to beg for an Atari when I was a wee lad. I got a Sega Master System instead and that shut me up! My cousin had one of the later ones and we used to play some great games on it like Dig Dug and Mario Brothers. If you ask me, games were much better in the past than today.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm only 19 so not quite what the article was talking about. I was introduced to gaming through my cousins with Super Mario Bros, which is still a great classic game to play through. I think I seriously got into it though with the Super Nintendo and its golden age of RPGs, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US) and the like. Still, no matter how good a game looks today it doesn't mean anything unless it has killer gameplay or plot.

Now I'm going to read the article:

I'm going to question the plot of Pong even by the standards then.

Donkey Kong, ah, I love the game, and there was a sequel in the mid-nineties for the Game Boy with over a hundred levels, and I think I actually beat it, I don't have it anymore though.

Ah, Super Mario Bros, I knew they'd do it.

My favorite quote from the kids is when they're playing Space Invaders, "This is nothing compared to Grand Theft Auto III, because you can't steal a taxi cab, pick up somebody, then drive into the ocean with him." and also the close second, "I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now."

H8Monga: Oh and this is another example of how far kids have come along... they know words I didn't when I was their ages... guess these new-fangled games have taught them a lot.

And should we accept kids cussing like that? I mean geez! In my day, kids didn't start cussing until they were 13!

7x6andchg: Oh my God, Prepstud, they did that at mine too...I once spent an entire report card's worth of tokens on Bezerk...the one with the robots and the smiling ball that bounced after you...

Oh, Sammy, thanks for the link - that's hysterical. :D

7x6&C

sammygirly: Anyone remember Impossible Mission??

That terrible sound of him falling to his unending death....the mechanical crazyman and his speed-infested robots?

"Stay awhile....stay foreverrrrr....."

7x6andchg: Sammy...oh MY GOD! Stay Awhile! Stay FOREVER! :D

Or Pitfall...or Freeway....or...oh this thread is like a young computer geek's dream come true!

prepstudinsc: Paul and Sammy, I'd forgotten about some of those games. This is like some retro 80's thing LOL. It makes me feel so old......and I'm still only 33!

ORCABOMBER: I'm 21, but I know almost all those games! Little punks should be traumatised with hentai games and Newgrounds.com torture ones!!!

I AM VERY ANGRY! Grrr!

Too young to play GTA3 and that's all they talk about? Pussies.

---------------
My apologies, but it explains why I don't like the idea of having kids, no?

Shaolin: I read this article in the magazine. Funny stuff, and those kids do have quite a vocabulary. I'm 21, and I'm all about oldschool games, just because less dev. time was spent making them pretty, and more was spent making them fun.

This is sort of off topic, but did anyone know that Sony almost refuses to put out a completely 2D game on the PS2? Any game that's out now has to at least have 3D backgrounds or 3d particle effects (what they use in fighting games now). Heck, King of Fighters 2K/2K1, which I haven't played but want to try, is still up in the air with Sony, because they're all 2D, so they're forced to add 3D stuff in order to get put on the system. IMHO, 3D control will never be as tight as 2D. It saddens me to hear people say that 2D is ancient. Some of my favorite games of all time are 2D. Sure, I"ll play Vice City, but I'll also play DoDonPachi. I know you have no idea what the heck that is, but trust me, it's good.I got fired from my first game design job because I didn't know enough 3D. Now I need to go back to school, because I can't even get hired on a GBA dev. team, because everything is starting to shift into 3D for the next generation. I'm sad. Soon I'll have to accept getting hit in the back by an off-camera enemy, all while reminiscing about the good ol' days.

ORCABOMBER: Yeah, I know what you mean, it's pretty sad in a way, I mean, some games work in 3D, some not, but I think everyone wants realism.

gigantikok: I don't know what some of you guys are talking about, Atari kicks ass and I have many a group of friends to back me on that. Maybe it is just because we all come from the same generation, but god, some of those 2-d nintendo and super nintendo games had so much more personality than alot of the games out now. I don't want to sound like a grizzled old so and so saying, "IN MAH DAY, GAMES HAD MORE PERSONALITAY!"... but it's true. The 3D games are fun and exciting, but prove to be tedious sometimes. I am playing video games to lose myself and shy away from reality, not hit it head on like an 18 wheeler. It also goes by the "Lucas" principle. Back in the 70's and 80's when Lucas didn't have the world and couldn't work his special effects magic, he had to use his imagination and storytelling skills to successfully create the Star Wars movies. They were brilliant, exciting, wonderful. The characters were so well developed because that is all he had to concentrate on, that and plot. Now, his movies stink. He is so caught up in the look and special effects, that the characters and the acting take a back seat. The characters in his movies now suck. I think this applies to video games now too. The developers are so caught up in the 3D-ness of it all, they forget the charm sometimes. They forget the personality sometimes. It's a shame...

wow...

I just went into a Star Wars and video game rant, that was building up for awhile! :D

H8Monga: I agree gigantikok... that is one reason why I haven't owned another video game system beyond my 16-bits. I was wowed by the newer ones but the games don't have the same attraction.

SpeedoGuy: I loved PONG as a teen and played it whenever I beg or borrow a quarter from my parents.

In college, the dorms had the arcade games such as "Defender" or "BattleZone" or "Pac-Man." I played those too.

I'm still hooked on computer games to this day. I play anything from strategy games to shooter games to flight sims and enjoy 'em all.

SG

H8Monga: My mother borrowed my SNES when I was in college... I guess about 1998... anyway I asked for it back tonight. I really have an urge to play my Super Mario games!