Hey there!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by septimusseverus, May 12, 2006.

1. septimusseverus

septimusseverus New Member

Hey there people!!!
    I 've been here for a few days checkin' out the site, reading and reading and reading and have found out that this forum is incredibly both interesting and what's even more important, educative.
    It takes some time for me to get relaxed, though, and post some pictures of myself, but that will happen soon, since the atmosphere here is encouraging enough...:smile:
    ...but hey I am sure you guys have flaws too...:smile:
    ...oh yeah I know...except very few Italian people, there are very few Europeans here other than the Brits and Germans!
    ...I hope I will contribute through spreading a word about the LPSG in this Southeastern corner of the continent.
    As about me, I am a 22 almost 23 years old student from Belgrade,Serbia and montenegro, interested in everything, with some knowledge of french besides english, who has a long relationship with a very nice girl...and everything would be nice if the story would end here, though there is the other side of the coin too, the one that is entirely different...

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Anyone who can be that tantalizingly ambiguous is .... welcome to LPSG.:biggrin1:

Welcome, septimusseverus.

On va prendre beaucoup de plaisir de votre presence.

BTW, since you are a stranger from an antique land, what does septimusseverus mean, anyway?

And how did your English get so idiomatic and correct?

3. septimusseverus

septimusseverus New Member

Lucius Septimius Severus (April 11, 146-February 4, 211) was a Roman general, consul and—ultimately—Roman Emperor from April 9, 193 to 211. He was one of the early Africans in history to gain fame outside of his native continent.
    Lucius Septimius Severus was born at Leptis Magna (sixty-two miles southeast of Carthage), on the north coast of Africa, and died at Eboracum (York), in the province of Britannia. Although Severus' family was of equestrian rank, in 172 he was made a Senator by then emperor Marcus Aurelius. In 190 Severus became consul, and in the following year received from the emperor Commodus (successor to Marcus Aurelius) the command of the legions in Pannonia. On the murder of Pertinax by the troops in 193, they proclaimed Severus Emperor, whereupon he hurried to Italy and took possession of the city of Rome without opposition. The legions of Syria, however, proclaimed Pescennius Niger emperor and those of Great Britain, Clodius Albinus; it was not until 197 that all competing claimants were eliminated. On 19 February 197, in the Battle of Lugdunum, with an army of 100,000 men, mostly composed of Illyrian, Moesian and Dacian legions, Severus defeated and killed his rival Clodius Albinus, securing his full control over the Empire.
    In the later years of his reign Severus undertook a number of military actions in defence of Roman Britain against barbarian incursions and undertook reconstruction of Hadrian's Wall before dying in York on 4 February 211.
    Severus was at heart a soldier, and sought glory through military exploits. He waged a brief and successful war against the Parthian Empire, which restored the northern half of Mesopotamia to Rome. During that war, his soldiers sacked the Parthian capital of Ctesiphon and sold the survivors into slavery.
    His relations with the Roman Senate were never good. He was unpopular with them from the outset, having seized power with the help of the military, and he returned the sentiment. Severus ordered the execution of dozens of Senators on charges of corruption and conspiracy against him, replacing them with his own favorites. He also disbanded the Praetorian Guard and replaced it with one of his own, made up of 50,000 loyal soldiers camped in and around Rome.
    Although his actions turned Rome into a military dictatorship, he was popular with the citizens of Rome, having stamped out the moral degeneration and rampant corruption of the reign of Commodus, which endeared him to his subjects. When he returned from his victory over the Parthians, he erected a triumphal arch in Rome that still stands and bears his name.
    Upon his death in 211, Severus was deified by the Senate and succeeded by his two quarrelsome sons, Caracalla and Geta, who were advised by his wife Julia Domna. The stability Severus had provided the Empire was soon gone.
    Though his military leanings were costly to the empire, Severus was a strong, able ruler that Rome much needed at the time. Despite the inevitable downside to his transformation of how the emperor relied on the army, history has been kind to him, and he ranks as one of the greatest Roman emperors. He began a line of military emperors that would carry on for the next few rulers.
    ...this was the answer to your first question.

The answer to your second question would be something like this:
    Don't listen that much to the media coverage about the region, for those who are curious enough come and visit the country; people in Serbia generally speak English very well, because it's mandatory course in elementary schools, highschools and on college, yes the country itself is not as immaculate as European union countries are, but I guess time will come for that too, and I travelled a lot in my life.
    ...so having read all this, you won't find it as surprising as much as it appeared to you at first :biggrin1:

4. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Thanks, septimusseverus. The site brainiac (now, who he?) just sent me much the same material. Between the two of you, Ah's gonna know a whole lot mo' by sundown.

Cheers,

6. Matthew

Gold Member

Welcome to LPSG! Besides big penises, we do have big brains, historians, and in fact we do have a few Eastern Europeans as well. And now with you we seem to have it all in one! :wink:

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

LPSG is definitely the best daycare center I've ever attended.

Welcome, sep!

8. lopaka

lopaka New Member

New myself but all the same welcome. The site certainly has some interesting dynamics and over all seems like a good vibe.

Draft saved Draft deleted