Hiccup cure

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've got a remedy that I've found to work incredibly well and felt like sharing.
Also.... I searched for this topic and didn't seem to find it, so this may be the first time this is discussed here. :biggrin1:

Firstly, Hiccups are involuntary spasms of the diaphragm.

In vocal training for the theater, we are instructed to regain voluntary control of the diaphragm through specific breathing rituals. These techniques cure hiccups immediately.

Breathe low. When you breathe a diaphragmatic breath, it should expand the lowest part of your abdomen, not your chest. Chest breathing is for athletes and dancers, not singers and speakers. It's very difficult to instruct through words alone, but there are tutorials online. Here's a fairly good video, despite its few spelling errors:
YouTube - Diaphragmatic breathing

Anyone else have good methods?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Drink water upside down. I have no idea why, but it works like a charm. Get a glass of water. Put your lips to the BACK of the glass instead of the front, so your chin is sort of in the glass, and bend over forwards to drink. It's weird and awkward at first, but it works. :tongue:

dtownguy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Put a dash of bitters on a wedge of lime. (I'm in the restaurant biz, so always have access to these things). Bite down on the lime and swallow the bitters and lime juice. done. works every time

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mine is similar to one already listed, a wedge of lemon put a tsp of sugar on it and soak with bitters and bite into it and swallow everything except the skin of the lemon. Works every time for me!

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Drink water upside down. I have no idea why, but it works like a charm. Get a glass of water. Put your lips to the BACK of the glass instead of the front, so your chin is sort of in the glass, and bend over forwards to drink. It's weird and awkward at first, but it works. :tongue:

This works because there's a nerve in the roof of the mouth that is linked to the same areas of the brain that control the diaphram. You don't have to drink upside down to stimulate it, you can just tickle the roof of your mouth with a finger or straw. Not far enough back to gag, just far enough in that you can feel it tingle.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This works because there's a nerve in the roof of the mouth that is linked to the same areas of the brain that control the diaphram. You don't have to drink upside down to stimulate it, you can just tickle the roof of your mouth with a finger or straw. Not far enough back to gag, just far enough in that you can feel it tingle.

Awe, but drinking upside down is so much more fun! :tongue:

TXgirl77

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Get a spoonful of ice cream and let it melt in your mouth. This has worked probably 19 out of 20 times for me. I read about this in "The People's Pharmacy" weekly article in the newspaper. It's worked better than anything else I've ever tried.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I like that one! Always works!

Another one is drinking while you have your fingers in your ears and your nose pinched shut.

I had a friend who honestly could only stop her hiccups with a bonk! :tongue:
Well that's what she said... but to be fair, it did always work! :rolleyes: