High court rules against sodomy laws

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a ban on gay sex Thursday, ruling that the law is an unconstitutional violation of privacy. The 6-3 ruling reverses course from a ruling 17 years ago that states could penalize gay people for what such laws have historically deemed deviant sex. It also apparently invalidates laws that criminalize consensual sodomy among heterosexuals.

You can read the details on any news website on the Internet.

It's nice to know that the "hick-states" such as Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, and the others will no longer be able to hold the threat of arrest over the heads of those who choose to engage in oral or anal sex, particularly gay men. (Forgive my use of the term "hick-states", but I'm sorry, it's true.)

I figured the Supreme Court would rule this way, but I'm still a bit alarmed that 3 of the justices did not want to overturn the laws.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
1) Banning oral and anal sex between men while allowing it between a man and a woman's gender discrimination anyway. (In fact, the possibility of same-sex marriage was why the ERA failed.)
2) Sodomy laws are a waste of time and money; the government has more important things to do than to make sure Adam and Steve don't raise Cain.

kyle: It's about time, eh?

Hey, Mark. Look who the dissenting judges are: Scalia, Rehnquist, and Thomas. Big surprise.
::)

AnonyMs: hmmm.... I wonder if it is any coincidence Strom Thurmond drops dead the day this is announced?

bustyredhead: lol That's either due to irony, or sodomy (and dramatic irony).

- Nene

Longhornjok: Mark, be sure and read Justice Scalia's dissent, which he felt so strongly about that he actually read it from the bench. It is interesting that he stresses right off the bat that he has "nothing against homosexuals..." It reminded me of how, when I was growing up in Texas, I knew I would end up wincing whenever someone said "Now listen, some of my best friends are black, but..."

H8Monga: [quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#0 date=06/26/03 at 10:10:39]The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a ban on gay sex Thursday, ruling that the law is an unconstitutional violation of privacy. The 6-3 ruling reverses course from a ruling 17 years ago that states could penalize gay people for what such laws have historically deemed deviant sex. It also apparently invalidates laws that criminalize consensual sodomy among heterosexuals.

You can read the details on any news website on the Internet.

It's nice to know that the "hick-states" such as Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, and the others will no longer be able to hold the threat of arrest over the heads of those who choose to engage in oral or anal sex, particularly gay men.  (Forgive my use of the term "hick-states", but I'm sorry, it's true.)

I figured the Supreme Court would rule this way, but I'm still a bit alarmed that 3 of the justices did not want to overturn the laws.[/quote]

I'm glad I'm way up here in Virginia away from them hicks! Va... lovely land where missionary is the only legal position!  ::)

From what I've heard so far, Virginia isn't happy about it.  They love their old ways.

[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#1 date=06/26/03 at 12:51:54]1) Banning oral and anal sex between men while allowing it between a man and a woman's gender discrimination anyway. (In fact, the possibility of same-sex marriage was why the ERA failed.)
2) Sodomy laws are a waste of time and money; the government has more important things to do than to make sure Adam and Steve don't raise Cain.[/quote]

Actually here in Virginia... no one was allowed to have oral or anal sex, even if it was a married heterosexual couple.

[quote author=AnonyMs link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#3 date=06/26/03 at 19:56:16]hmmm.... I wonder if it is any coincidence Strom Thurmond drops dead the day this is announced?[/quote]

HAHA! I wonder....

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Scalia is living in another world. :p

And isn't it interesting how the "conservatives", who, one would think, would want to keep government out of people's private lives, are the very same people who want to tell people what type of sex they are allowed to have?!

I have to admit that I'm taking great joy in hearing the Family Research Council and the Concerned Women of America lamenting this decision - they practically act like the world is now coming to an end because gay sex will now be legal in all 50 states. :p :p :p

Although the sodomy laws were almost never enforced, I feel very good about what happened today. Gay men (and others who may enjoy oral or anal sex) are no longer criminals - no matter where they live.

Mathias: A wild coincidence indeed! I didn't even hear a peep about the old bugger until just now! Hehe, very strange...

I read this on AOL, that is really a major step foreward, If I do say so.

wvu_kerq: [quote author=AnonyMs link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#3 date=06/26/03 at 19:56:16]hmmm.... I wonder if it is any coincidence Strom Thurmond drops dead the day this is announced?[/quote]

Hmm I think so! He died last night...
*Evil snicker* I really shouldn't laugh... but I think that he was evil incaranate... I mean... yes he did stop saying we should have segrigation... but you know he was still thinking it.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
[quote author=wvu_kerq link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#12 date=06/27/03 at 09:23:52]

Hmm I think so! He died last night...
*Evil snicker* I really shouldn't laugh... but I think that he was evil incaranate... I mean... yes he did stop saying we should have segrigation... but you know he was still thinking it.[/quote]

You mean you know what he was thinking, either you're a presumptious asshole, or you're a psychic. If it is the later than perhaps you should predict some future sizes for the boys in some other forums.

7x6andchg: What one does behind one's bedroom doors in Texas (or any other state, for that matter) should not be the state's business if both parties are consenting to the action.

As for Strom - well...I thought he'd outlived his usefulness some time ago - now who will all our South Carolinian friends vote for? :D

7x6&C

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#6 date=06/26/03 at 21:15:57]And I have absolutely nothing against heterosexuals; hell, some of my best friends are straight. But I just don't want them teaching our children![/quote]
So, how many men have you knocked up, Whopper?

kyle: [quote author=Longhornjok link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#5 date=06/26/03 at 21:04:21]"Now listen, some of my best friends are black, but..."[/quote]

:D
Longhorn, I said the exact same thing!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1056647979;start=0#16 date=06/27/03 at 16:59:17]
So, how many men have you knocked up, Whopper?[/quote]

None, actually ... my dates use mouthwash! (Yeah, I know: Boo! Hiss!)

H8Monga: Haha Mark! Trent Lott would have tripped up somewhere else... but yeah he's probably saying that... I can tell you this... Trent better not say anything at the funeral IF he is at all invited!