High IQ = no meat?

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics' started by BigA, Dec 16, 2006.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

heh. this was the headline of an article that pooped up on my yahoo startup page. anyone else? It suggests that "as a child's IQ rises, his taste for meat in adulthood declines" and "brighter people tend to have healthier dietary habits." my mind immediately went elsewhere. Is this intentionally equivocal or is my mind just jaded?

As far as the article, my IQ is relatively high but all I eat is crap. Go figure

2. BigA

BigA New Member

On second thought, it's obviously intentional. I am a journalism major, it seems like the kind of headline I might write but my editor would reject. Just surprised it came up on yahoo main page

3. Amygirl

Gold Member

Home of the Melbourne Cup and the best coffee
    Slow news day?

4. snoozan

Gold Member

What total crap. Does this mean if I become vegetarian I'll gain IQ points?

Psychologists can't even agree on what IQ tests actually measure or if there even exists one inherent "intelligence factor". Even if it does, many think that IQ tests probably don't measure it in a very meaningful way.

Plus I know plenty of smart people that eat like shit.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I eat plenty of meat. Though I don't doubt that "brighter people tend to have healthier diet habits"... if you look at that statement closely it says virtually nothing at all.

Actually one of the smartest people I know is my friend Ben. He churned out a 250 page thesis in two days and was told it was among the best things his professor had ever read. He's also close to 400 lbs and subsists mostly on McDonald's french fries and Coca-Cola. He doesn't eat meat, but not because of a dietary choice. Due to a rare allergic condition, it would probably kill him.

6. BigA

BigA New Member

what an anomaly, that both you and your friend Jeff are:biggrin1:

7. BigA

BigA New Member

sorry i'm not puter literate enuf to post a link to the entire article. However, the qoutes I listed were correct and do give the proper gist of the article.

Yet my greater concern seems so to be how many react when they see this popup. The wheels must be flyin'

if you're a total prude, do you not get it or do you complain?

8. Vestigial

Gold Member

Maybe brighter = more self esteem = more care for yourself? Because my extraordinary intelligence brought me closer to pseudo-suicide.

Regardless,.. when I started caring about my body, my intelligence grew. This involved alot more than diet changes.

As for Vegetarianism, it isn't healthier unless you have a medical condition. If you haven't got a valid reason to do it and are just joining the bandwagon, then your a pansy. (ofc there are many reasons, but saving fluffy animals is just a pansy one :D)

9. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Only one of my attributes is the same as NIC's, but we are alike in our thinking on this issue. So many factors other than intelligence factor into one's eating habits -- emotional state, ethnicity, occupation, family upbringing, etc.

10. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    There's no causal reason for vegetarianism leading to a higher IQ. This article is very myopically viewing a correlation between vegetarianism and a higher IQ. There's probably a simpler reason for the strong correlation: the vegetarian lifestyle, in general, requires more effort and care and tends to attract people with compulsive tendancies. Vegetarians will be more critical, more discerning, more evaluative by necessity, and as a result, they've already cultivated a mental attitude that helps with reasoning.

We need be even more specific about what the type of intelligence that vegetarian habits may cultivate. If vegetarians are a more compulsive by nautre, it is probably most correlated with a linguistic intelligence. Vegetarians tend to do more research on their lifestyle and express their views more openly than the average US population. There's nothing about a vegetarian lifestyle, however, that cultivates other forms of intelligence such as mathematicla intelligence, musical, artisic, visual, and kinesthetic intelligence.

As for diet, the vegetarian lifestyle isn't the only diet associated with higher IQs. The Japanese, who are the highest consumers of seafood per capita, collectively had the average highest IQs as a society, according to news reports in the '80s and early '90s. Is it the fish that's making the Japanese so smart? NO, it's the lifestyle and the disciplined habits associated with their lifestyle that contributes to a higher IQ.

Take the article with a grain of salt.

11. feely

feely New Member

it also showed evidence that, on average, men are smarter than women.

12. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Kotchanski - don't pay to join mensa!!! (Not that I'm saying you intend to) I've always thought that those who join mensa aren't demonstrating intelligence, they are displaying stupidity. I mean only a fool would think it necessary to pay someone to tell you how clever you are. The smart ones say "fuck you MENSA, I'm not lining your pockets just so I can display a certificate that will only impress the uneducated!!"

LOL

13. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Phew - I knew you weren't daft enough for that, I could sense it.... proof enough of your superior intelligence!! lol

And you're right about people developing negative personality traits upon receipt of their certificates, I've noticed that too.

14. DarkPhantom

DarkPhantom Member

Actually who cares about the certificate?? Most members of Mensa I know of do not in anyway brag about their intelligence, they just see it as a opportunity to meet up with people with similar interests and have a really good time. :smile:

Well thats my experience where I live , I guess it's not the same everywhere. And about the fee, it's like 40$ a year or something. :wink:

15. Vestigial

Gold Member

Haha, MENSA, the "High IQ" society... kinda reminds me of this place, except we're cool and we only charge to see the peep shows. ^o^

TBH I'd probably just join them as as a social outlet. There are gonna be people who'll hate me there, but it's all worth it for the rare few seeking to break the chains of this reality... And, I place as little value in certificates as I do money...

As for my experience with IQ tests... I smash on everything except knowledge... I don't use my time learning irrelevant, trivial and often romanticised 'general knowledge'. So when a test has these kinds of questions, it's down to my imperfect precognitive skills.

And when I began eating fish (+fish oil) alot my brain suddenly started working again. Basically braindead to developing the best combat and equipment strategies used in a certain field. I do like eating fish now,.. but I like them as creatures too... and I feel for what life journey brought them onto my plate.

SWIM FAR AS FISH IN SEA

16. avalonjim

avalonjim Member

Albums:
    I think its probably just one of those statistical studies, that shows some odd corollary. Much like the statistic that my undergraduate degree has the highest acceptance to law school. 100%. However, I have a BFA, and probably 3 people a year that get an undergraduate degree in art apply to Law School, versus the 15,000 accounting majors, that have a 90% acceptance rate (and this is only an example I have no knowledge of the correct and proper acceptance rates). I hate statistics, mainly because they can be twisted to suit any need.

But Vegeterianism is predominately a middle to upper class thing, generally favored by females, and really hit it stride in the 70's to 80's, becoming much more mainstream and acceptable, as well as available in the 90's. I myself am an ex macrobiotic, but my body has a tendency to reject all things meat based periodically, so mine is more for my personal survival. But again, college educated, middle class women and men, usually both socially aware and into fitness are more educated and percieved as smarter so this could skew the results. Anyone that wants to NOT have a heart attack etc is going to try and eat healthy. I think this is less about the extreme of vegetarianism probably, and more about not eating meat. I eat red meat about once every 2 weeks, flounder about 3 times a week, chicken twice, and crab or salmon on the others.(the fact that I follow it with cookies etc is irrelevant :biggrin1: ) Also it has been proven that mothers who have a healthy diet, and the children of mothers that feed them a healthy balanced diet do better on IQ tests. But personally I believe that is because they probably are already more educated, and actually read to their kid instead of dumping them in front of the TV.

Oh and don't join MENSA, don't waste your time trying to take or pass the test. I know what my IQ is, and its more than enough for entry, my education level is more than acceptable, creative success, etc etc... My bud Steve, Chris and I all joined years ago, and hated it maybe because all we wanted to do was drink beer and get nuts, and they were a bunch of dorks that couldn't wrap their minds around being cool, having fun and being smart. Trust me ... my Bud Steve from HS, (honestly... studied astronomy, physics and rocket science at U Penn and U Minn, later at some school in the Netherlands for his first post doc, is a LOT of FUN) and we all hated it. he got along with some of the guys better because he knew them from UPenn, I never saw them on campus ever, but again, I was doing the art thing, and I didn't like how they looked down upon, and spoke down to so many people. I can be proud of who and what I am without denigrating anyone else, and while I AM proud of certain things, at 35 who the F cares what I got on my SAT's.

17. B_josiah852

B_josiah852 New Member

Kotchanski there are several IQ tests online you can take for free. I have taken several and have always received a different IQ result everytime. I am happy with the results but prefer the fact that I have been told I have more common sense than anything. High IQ and a Big Cock doesn't go well with someone who doesn't have any common sense. lol

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Tofu twiddle.

19. DarkPhantom

DarkPhantom Member

Same reason why I'm not participating in beauty contests :biggrin1:.

20. NCbear

Gold Member

:puts on serious face, with innocent eyes:

But I thought chocolate chip cookies were a brain food. They surely worked well when I pulled all-nighters in college.

LOL!

NCbear

Draft saved Draft deleted