High School Reunions

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Oct 21, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

What do you remember the most from your high school reunion? Anything that suprised you?

Although it is nice seeing classmates you haven't seen in a very long time these seem to just boil down to a kind of size up, show off and tell. But, it was interesting to see what directions people's lives took them and how they have or haven't changed - and to see how YOU have changed.

How about sharing some of those encounters and revelations here?

2. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had to work and did not attend mine, but I saw all of the pics. All I kept thinking was, "Wow, I did not gain the most weight at all."

3. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

I do not remember because I did not go to any of them
    Not the 10 year or the 15 year or the 25 years or the 30 years I saw the list from year 25 and out of more than 500 students only 31 attended and they were mostly the honors society persons who I rarely had contact with None of the persons from electronics class or retail management or my printing classes were there.

4. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We all wore name tags which included a large photo from our yearbook.

All the tables at the dinner were round and seated 10 persons. It was a bit dark, with only candles for illumination at the tables. Across from me sat a beautiful, blond woman that I did not recognize. She looked a couple of years younger than our class members, so I thought she might be the wife or guest of one of the reunion members. I said hello and gave her my name and asked who she had come with. She said, no one, that she was a member of the reunion class. Then she laughed and told me her name had been David.

I looked closer at the name and the photo (of a football player in motion) and was shocked to learn that she was our "Senior Class President", who also had been voted the class "Most Handsome", "Most Athletic", "Most Likely to Succeed", and was the "Captain of the Football Team." It seems that the man we all knew as "David" was now known as "Davida."

Since I had not lived in the city for many years, I was one of the few that did not know David's story and about his transition to "Davida." I would have never known, nor would I have guessed, that that beautiful woman seated acrosss from me had been our popular high school jock. I might add that he was lusted over by many of the girls and some of the boys!

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I missed the 10 year one but attended the 25 year reunion. Out of 208 of us, only a few didn't make it (two were dead, three others opted out.) I found that mostly the snobs were still snobs and the elite were still elite but the majority were real folks that were glad to see each other again.

I missed the 30 year one.

Maybe I'll go to the 50 year reunion. I'll have to check my social calendar in 2014.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    At my 20th I noticed:

The same social cliques were still in force.

Some wallflowers had blossomed into vibrant, outgoing success stories.

A petty villain had become a police sargeant.

Age and food and gravity had had their usual effect on human bodies.

Some goof offs and slackers had found direction and meaning in the military.

Some former jocks now sported potbellies.

Some former softbodies had run marathons.

Photos of children were everywhere.

Former flames had married and divorced.

Some personalities had mellowed, others sharpened, others remained unchanged.

7. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    Most all of them got fatter or were very fat and had bad marriages. not many seemed happy with what there life had come to be. what goes around comes back around.

8. viking1

Gold Member

I've never gone to any of my class reunions. Not sure I ever will...

9. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Well, there was only 6 of us in my graduation class and it was a fairly good-sized school. (it's kind of a long story involving an idiot principal)

We were really good friends and still are. We have never seen the need for a high school reunion as through the years, we all still keep in touch or manage to all get together. Sometimes quite by accident. We all have very different jobs, yet have managed to end up working together on different projects.

10. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Seeing Romy and Michelle's experiences was enough to put me off :eek:

11. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

I spent most of my youth trying not to go to school so I don't want a recreation of it!

12. Osiris

Gold Member

that all the popular jocks that harped on me for being the educated geek were now fatter than I, married to the most hideous of women, most balding and all wanting to "hang with me" because all the girls were having more fun at our table and no one wanted to sit with them.

Success is it's own best revenge.

13. earllogjam

Gold Member

A smilar thing happened to me at my reunion. I was trying to pin point who she was when she said, "Don't you remember me?" "I used to be called George." Her being a trans woman all made sense in retrospect. She had been a guy who always seemed ill at ease in high school, uncomfortable in his own skin. She seemed quite happy now.

I'm suprised the turn out to your's was so large, Pecker. You must have had a pretty tight knit graduating class. I'd say only about 1/3 of our 350 person class showed up. What struck me the most was how utterly unremarkable the evening was. Most of the guys I hung out with didn't come. All the rest I either knew just as classmates or never knew at all. The best part of the evening was that got to hang out with my childhood best so it was like old times.

Did we go to the same reunion? Very similar stories for me.

I was suprised how little I had in common with most of my former classmates and how utterly ordinary, conventional, and unadventurous they were. It was like Froto Baggins coming back to the Shire for me. There is only so much forced interest and small talk one can take in a night. It was good seeing a few old friends however, some I've known since grade school.

Most people recognized me off the bat but I was suprised how many women came on to me during the evening. Women who wouldn't even give me the time of day back then. I was even invited up to a hotel room but politely declined after telling her I was gay. I would only bring up it if people asked me where's the wife or where the pictures of my kids were. Most were unphased. After a pregnant pause in the conversation there would be a look of suprise and disbelief. "Wow" "Really!" "Really?"

All the homosexuals who we thought were gay in high school were gay at the reunion.

Most all the jocks were fat and had dumpy wives.

The popular kids organized the event and sat at their own table together.

Some people look better now than in high school especially the women.

Most have moved out and live outside the area as it is just too expensive now.

Loud rock music is not condusive to a successful reunion party.

I was shocked how many people had been divorced.

People have selective memories.

I met my nemesis from high school. A very competitive guy who didn't think very highly of myself or my abilities back then. I was suprised to find out he was out of shape, had been divorced two times, paying child support, living in a bad area of San Jose, and unemployed. His conversation kept steering to the "hot" women at the reunion.

It was sobering to see what my life could have been. At the reunion it struck me how riddiculous a lot of high school was, how it was NOT a microcosm of the real world, and who I ultimately came to be was not defined by my experience there.

14. Shelby

Gold Member

Finally getting to bang Robin.

15. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I have one coming up next year and not sure now if I will attend or not.
    I am the only gay one (that I know!) from my class and one of the few still unmarried classmates. We had one five years ago and I have to admit I looked younger than most. After it was over, several went to a party at one of my classmates house. I actually did not get an invite and was glad in a way since had the booze flowed, someone could have made a homophobic remark to me and I probably would have made a scene and left. I don't live in my hometown anymore but my brother and his wife still do.

16. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I haven't gone to a high school reunion (I always say I won't unless I get filthy rich or something so I can rub it in their faces... :biggrin1:)

I did go to an elementary school reunion (yes, we have those where I grew up! It's actually for anyone who went to that school, back when there was a high school there and also the ones like me who went to elementary school there after the high school was consolidated in the county seat). My boyfriend at the time went with me (there was NO way I would have gone there alone - I was an outcast in school and wanted to show everyone that I COULD, in fact, find a boyfriend!)

Only one person from my class talked to me or even acknowledged my existence. (She was one of the very few who were kind of nice to me in school...)

My boyfriend at the time was flabbergasted by the fact that at 5'3" rounding UP, I was one of the tallest women there! :eek: I was sort of accustomed to that, having grown up there (and in elementary school, I was actually the smallest kid in the class!) For example, when I was working at a factory before I moved to the city, I worked on a shift with 11 women and only one of them was taller than me.

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Many of the comments in this thread make it interesting and somewhat sad to note how long the resentment lingers against those who slighted us decades ago in high school.

18. viking1

Gold Member

Why shouldn't it remain forever? I don't recall any of them asking for my forgiveness...

19. B_Swimming Lad

B_Swimming Lad New Member

I couldn't bear a school reunion. It might kill me. All those weird geeky people would be there.

20. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Basically because I now live on the other side of the continent, I've never gone to a high school reunion.
    Frankly, I have scant interest.
    It's not that there's any malevolence or anything.
    I felt almost nothing in common with most of my classmates.
    They were from Earth, I was from, erm, Neptune.
    There might be at best three or four people that I have real curiosity about.
    If I happened to be out west when another reunion comes up, I might well attend. But I wouldn't cross a continent to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted