High School Reunions

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Why shouldn't it remain forever? I don't recall any of them asking for my forgiveness...

I hear ya, viking. Its just that I fear that if we wait for others to act in a manner that gratifies us or encourages us or strengthens us, we'll be waiting too long.

Far be it from me to preach about the benefits of foregiveness as I certainly have my own anger and unresolved issues to deal with. But I do know that forgiveness isn't altogether an altruistic act. Foregiveness is as much about healing the self as it is forgiving the offender.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Forgiveness is as much about healing the self as it is forgiving the offender.

Very true. I just have a big problem doing either of these things...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Very true. I just have a big problem doing either of these things...

Me too, brother viking. I have trouble forgiving and I can't deny there's even a part of me that enjoys nursing grievances despite the fact I know its not good for me. I compare it to scratching a skin rash: briefly satisfying but it inevitably prolongs the discomfort.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went to the 15th class reunion. I observed most of what people already said here. Mostly, one learns that its hard to predict how someone is going to turn out from just knowing them in high school.

Another interesting thing was at the 15th, most people had forgotten what cliques they were in and why. While I was mostly a geek in high school, at the reunion, all the "cool kids" were reminsicing with me about all the good times we had, as if I were part of their group all along.

Interestingly, most of them were assholes in high school but I found them to be pretty good people by the time of the reunion.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Haven't been to one, the first I learned of, after the fact, was the 20th. Being in Florida in the summer is not something I would do by choice.
I am still in touch with many HS friends.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My 20th was interesting. I thought the majority looked like nice people...perfect strangers... but nice people. I just couldn't remember any of them. There were a few really thinking they are still popular and it was too much. They showed lots of pictures of themselves on this wall screen. I thought they looked kind of ugly in high school and even worse now. Our table couldn't stop laughing at them. I thought I'd faired pretty well over the years. I did see some people from elementary school there that I really hadn't scene in high school. I really enjoyed them the most.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just had mine on Saturday so I remember it pretty clearly.

It seems to me like the cliche that reunions are only about showing off is very cynical.

Why can't a large group of old friends who haven't seen each other in 10 years, but used to spend the better part of every day with each other for most of their lives and all of their formative years, forming bonds and relationships that would impact them the entire rest of their lives and define the way they interact with other people and feel about themselves, come together for one night in the hopes that they'll get a nostalgia-fueled fuck out of it?

sigh... maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic.

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just had mine on Saturday so I remember it pretty clearly.

It seems to me like the cliche that reunions are only about showing off is very cynical.

Why can't a large group of old friends who haven't seen each other in 10 years, but used to spend the better part of every day with each other for most of their lives and all of their formative years, forming bonds and relationships that would impact them the entire rest of their lives and define the way they interact with other people and feel about themselves, come together for one night in the hopes that they'll get a nostalgia-fueled fuck out of it?

sigh... maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic.

:biggrin1: LOL. Oh, so you're one of those who go to rub it in...literally!

What was yours — 10 years? Wait a few decades. As Drifterwood recently posted in another thread, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Many of the comments in this thread make it interesting and somewhat sad to note how long the resentment lingers against those who slighted us decades ago in high school.
I agree. The bullies and snobs just don't have a clue what kind of scars they leave on others. Fortunately, the bullies mostly left me alone, and the snobs just didn't really make a shit of difference to me. Funny thing, most of the snobs (in high school, I called them "big-timers," because they honestly thought they were in the big time at school...) changed their attitude toward me, when they realized that I really didn't care if they were on the football team or the cheerleading squad, or if their parents belonged to the country club. I didn't care if they pointed at me and snickered when I talked to the "unpopular" kids. I figured it was more their loss than mine. I didn't care what clique someone belonged to. I spoke to everyone, and those who didn't mind "crossing the lines" would speak back. Eventually, I was friends with people from almost every clique.

My class had a 5 year reunion (I didn't go; too soon), a 10 year (I went), a 15 year (too soon again) and a 25 year (I went.)

The 10 year reunion, it seemed that most everyone was still trying to cling to their high school personae. A few had changed for the better. One black girl, in high school, was just angry with the world. She would fight anyone - black, white, male, female - for any reason whatsoever. Almost everyone was terrified of her. At the reunion, she was calm, sweet, and pleasant, and put the moves on me all weekend. Otherwise, it was pretty much like high school all over again, but with slightly less energy.

At the 25 year reunion, everyone was much more adult-acting (yea!) I got brave, and took my partner with me. He was very warmly welcomed by all but one, who made a shitty little comment from the sidelines while my partner was dancing with my friend, Debbie. She told me this guy had yelled at them as they went by, "which one of you is the girl?" I didn't recognize him, which was odd, because I knew every other classmate. It turns out that he was only in our class for a semester and a half, and didn't even graduate with us.

Otherwise, the prettiest and most popular girls had become plump old matronly brood mares, the handsome popular guys had beer guts and very little hair left. Some of the wallflower girls had become popular by being on the planning committee. Most of the ones who wouldn't speak to me in school now wanted to be buddies. And lots of the ones who were really my friends in school always have been, and still are. There are about 20 with whom I've socialized since junior high, and we still all get together when I'm in town.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Umm...I went to one. At first I thought I was in the wrong place because everyone was so old. It was interesting to see the people who never grew up. And the wall flowers who became beautys, and the homecoming queen who became over weight and bitter. The strongest impact of the night was a slide show of our classmates who had died. That sort of did me in for the evening. Never went back!