High School - Then & Now

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hypoc8, May 31, 2011.

1. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

You have to laugh at this or you would cry at our stupidity!!!

HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED !!

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2009
    Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 -
    Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins.. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not sit still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 -
    Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt..

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 -
    Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

- Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009-The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

- Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 -Ants die.

2009- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated.
    Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Wally falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Nancy. Nancy hugs him to comfort him.

1957 -In a short time, Wally feels better and goes on playing.

2009 -
    Nancy is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison... Wally undergoes 5 years of therapy.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Shaking my head... sad but mostly true!

3. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I know this was post meant in humor, but seriously...before we romanticize the past too much...

From Wikipedia.

4. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Lots of kids I know, including myself, were beaten & abused - maybe not in 1957 - but in the 1960s. Daddy took off his belt plenty of times. I went to school with welts on my face, arms, legs, back, stomach....no one did anything. Same goes for the other kids I know who were beaten.

I know people like to think about the good old days, but honestly - if you really look at it - they weren't all that good for a lot of people.

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yup. The present is where it's at.

6. monel

Gold Member

This is quite true. However, to the OP's point, there was certainly a way to address those problems of the past and protect children without dispensing with common sense entirely.

7. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not so long ago for me.

I was paddled in elementary school for not having my homework in 2nd or 3rd grade (I had it but couldn't find it.) I made an effort to be more organized after that. I was also paddled in kindergarten, but I can't remember what for.

My Mother beat my tail whenever she thought I was out of line, if I wasn't still there was no telling where the belt would land... My Father only had to look at me for me to know I was in DEEP trouble and if I cried out popped the old phrase, "do you want me to give you something to cry about?"

Out of those punishments I learned to behave.

I'm not saying any of those things were right, but they worked.

8. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Apparently not where I lived.

9. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

In response to Scenario #3: It's almost as similar as one time when my best friend's little brother got slapped by the vice principal in HS, then my best grabbed the VP and banged his head when he saw him do it against a wall.
    Nowadays, that'd be a cry for excessive force- on the VP's part.

10. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:

I'm sad to see that you think problems should be solved by violence. That you actually think violence would solve these situations, and not create any aftermath at all. The stupidity is on your part. I'm glad I don't know you.

I'm not old enough to have experienced your "good old days", but in many ways I'm glad I haven't. Just one thing on the top of my head: I'm left-handed. I would probably have been beaten until I used my right hand to write.. since being a lefty in the "good old days" was wrong and a sign of sign in some people eyes.

I hope you get the chance to change your views. Your stuck in a old thought-pattern, a pattern I hope you can move on from since a lot of those thoughts are now unethicall; rightfully so. (A lot of the examples were also wildly exaggerated.)

11. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Are you fucking kidding me? Chill Frances.

I don't condone beating children by any means and there is a difference between beating and spanking, but I don't believe putting them in time-outs, trying to reason with or drugging them works either. Sometimes you really have to get there attention.

You go ahead and raise your kids your way and let me know how it works out for you, I've helped raise two and haven't had a minutes trouble out of either one of them.

As far as you're glad you don't know me, the feeling is mutual.

12. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

Uh, I got that ALL the time too. It used to tick me off! Like I'd be crying for no reason. But if I said that, I got in bigger trouble.

13. AG08

Gold Member

1957 high school sounds like high school when I attended in the 80s.

14. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I raised a kid without hitting, spanking, or any other form of violence. She was no angel, but she wasn't spoiled and has grown in to a fine young human. Most of her friends are the same as well. There are a lot of fantastic kids around.

15. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I was raised without ever being hit...but look how I turned out. :tongue:

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I was raised without ever having been hit also; however when my brother and I were young it always seemed a distinct possibility that if we did not behave it would be a reality rather than an abstract possibility. We also heard the phrase "If you don't stop crying I'll give you something to cry about." many times.
    My half brother on the other hand who never had any discipline or fear of any repercussions from his actions was actually struck once for something (that he should have been sent to jail for if he had been an adult) and claimed he had been abused as a child.
    As a former teacher and attorney I've seen so many things that people should not have to go through in life and read accounts here of peoples childhood that have actually kept me awake at night.(Someone here ate old bread and pan drippings because there was no food or an adult at home) Suffice to say my brother and I had a happy childhood and my half brother did not; however his grievances pale in comparison to people who really had a difficult time as a child or young adult.

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    See what I mean? :tongue:

18. D_Sam Rockswell

D_Sam Rockswell New Member

Instead of making this thread ya could have just said....kids today lol.

19. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    It didn't make me laugh. It's not difficult to gin up "that was good, this is bad" hypotheticals designed to support one's point of view. The "message" suggested in the OP is so simplistic as to be practically meaningless. "Things were better back in the day when institutionalized violence was a preferred solution"??

Now, this I do find funny.

20. CcrfsA

CcrfsA New Member

I am 46 so I can relate to some of the earlier examples.......I laughed my ass off........AWESOME thread and basically true. I wonder how this will morph 60 years from now? I'm glad I won't be around to worry about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted