Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey everybody, I have been advised to do some HIIT at home to improve my cardio level, since i have been physically idle for a couple of years now, due to several health issues, and now my heart muscle became really weak, my body fat index is high, lipids profile not so good; The issue is I started HIIT with 8 exercises 30 secs each, but by the 7th one my heart rate was really high and I couldn't even finish my first cycle!! I didn't expect that!

Any advice what should I do, what specific exercises should I start with at such a catastrophic level, and other hints regarding what to do/eat/drink before the session, any other thoughts? should I start with some other routine and postpone the HIIT for a while?

Thanking everybody that will help with any advice in advance.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As a beginner it's generally better to build up an aerobic base through lower intensity, steady state cardio. High intensity interval training is a more advanced form of conditioning and also requires far more time for recovery. You'd be far better off spending a few months doing LISS cardio, slower steady state. Depending on your goals, you might not even need hiit, though I'd suggest some form of strength training as a complement to your cardio routine.

Reactions: find83 and SSS79

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Any advice what should I do,

Find a physical therapist or trainer who specializes in people who need cardiac rehab. If you're in as bad shape as you say you are, you're not in any position to start HIIT routines without medical advice. Sorry, dude.

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Since you been idle for so long. You should start with low impact beginner HIIT Workouts. Still get a great workout just at a much safer pace for your heart and then build up to the more moderate to more intense routines.

Reactions: SSS79

inspectordickins

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey everybody, I have been advised to do some HIIT at home to improve my cardio level, since i have been physically idle for a couple of years now, due to several health issues, and now my heart muscle became really weak, my body fat index is high, lipids profile not so good; The issue is I started HIIT with 8 exercises 30 secs each, but by the 7th one my heart rate was really high and I couldn't even finish my first cycle!! I didn't expect that!

Any advice what should I do, what specific exercises should I start with at such a catastrophic level, and other hints regarding what to do/eat/drink before the session, any other thoughts? should I start with some other routine and postpone the HIIT for a while?

I'd advise you to run relatively short distances (5-10km) first to get your body used to exercising, when you're in the final line (500m-1km), give everything you have, it will be a slow sprint but it will slowly condition you to hiit training.
Many studies have proven hiit to be way more (around 5 times) efficient than regular cardio in terms of energy and time consumption, the main downside is that it is also more intense for your body and requires more rest.
If you feel too stiff after a day of hiit you can still do regular cardio or maybe swim, but you'll have to swim a lot if you aim to get the same cardio benefits, unless you're very good at it of course. The benefit of swimming is that it is a lot softer on your body, especially your joints, than running on concrete and it also helps you keep a good posture.

About your heart rate, I don't think you should worry a lot about it unless your blood pressure increases a lot, which is not supposed to happen.
But don't trust me too much, I'm not a doctor, the best thing to reassure you is a medical check-up.

It is not a problem not being able to finish your cycle, just give everything you have, the more you push your limits, the faster you will progress and you'll soon be able to complete your training. I'd even say it's a sign you're doing it well, if your training doesn't make you feel like your legs are on fire, you're doing it wrong!

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
you said your heart muscle is weak, who recommended HIIT was it a cardiologist?