Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Anyone else enjoy hiking? I'd love to hear about your favorite spots.

Yesterday I went hiking alone, since my friend cancelled last minute, at the Delaware Water Gap. It's a pretty nice place, the first trail I did takes you to the top of a 1600 ridge. At the top of the ridge you have a magnificent view of the Delaware River, and on the other side another ridge, from the top you can see what seems like endless ridges and valleys along the Appalachians. The second trail I took was to a gorgeous glacial pond, by the time I got to the pond it was sunset, and the view of the pond stretching into the orange horizon was amazing. I encountered three bears along the way, two of which a mother and a cub (yikes!). I like seeing the Black Bears because they're usually very peaceful, but the mother and cub had me clinging to my little knife and walking stick. :tongue:

Share your hiking stories, I want to hear it all.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love hiking anywhere really as long as it is a big section of woods which is not polluted. I love it because it is so peaceful, beautiful, and adventurous at the same time. I really love it when there is a stream or pond about a mile into the woods that you can go swimming in but is also very secluded. One thing about hiking on trails though is I can never stay on the trail. I always feel the urge to climb stuff like a small cliff or a tree. I remember one hiking trip in particular. I was with two of my friends. I really liked this place because there was a secluded place to swim and a huge cliff right on the water with a great view.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love getting out, here there is magnificent scenery in every direction.

One of my teachers from high school told me that one of the most beautiful places he has ever been to was alaska. He was talking about some big mountains that he liked a lot I can't remember what they were called though.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Wow! You fellows are lucky to live in such scenic places. I would jump at the chance to go to Alaska. Around here the best thing is the Appalachian Trail, not all that impressive but still satisfying.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've just seen the southern Appalachians, it was nice to be in mountains that were tree covered, I like the variety of the decidious forest there.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hiked the John Muir Trail from Happy Valley in Yosemite to Mount Whitney. Thats a great trail and lots of fun off shoots.

I have hit a bunch of the 14ers in Colorado most just hikes not rock climbing ot technical mountain climbing. Those are all fun.

Haleakala in Maui was fun.

I like the Eastern Sierras tho the best. I like the scenery and the rugged peaks. The Rockies are older and a bit more worn, less austere. Any put in along the John Muir trail will be spectacular. French Canyon thru Pine creek might be my fave, also thru Bishop and Lake Sabrina is awesome down to Lyall meadow.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Some pictures of yesterday's trip I took with my phone:

070207_13551[1].jpg

View from parking lot
070207_13552.jpg

Delaware River
070207_15191.jpg

Top, looking West across river
070207_15192.jpg

Top, looking North
070207_15204.jpg

Top, looking down to river

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Some more:

Top of Mt. Adams, 12,200 ft, Washington.

Hiking the Napali coast, Kauaii, Hawaii.

Top of the South Sister, 10,400 ft, Oregon.

Backpacking below MacNeil Point, Mt Hood, Oregon.

Attachments

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I live across the street from Brandywine Park in Delaware which has a few, albeit short, hiking trails. Virginia and West Virginia are two of my favourite states for hiking. Hiking through a section near Charleston, West Virginia I discovered what I called "viking man", a face carved into the rock, roughly 5' x 3'. When I asked about it, I was told it's been there for 20+ years and no one is sure who carved it. I shot a few pics. I'll post one if I find them.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Tapeats Creek drainage, Grand Canyon National Park

112 degrees after sunset, "Furnace Flats"/Desert Palisades, Grand Canyon National Park

Travertine falls, Havasu Creek drainage, Grand Canyon National Park

Kaibab Bridge, Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon National Park

Attachments

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hikin'? Every chance I get.

From the top of Mt. Lassen, California at 10,500 feet:

I once hiked up and then telemarked off the top.

My wife has skied off Mt. Lassen several times with downhill equipment and she just bought Rondone(sp) mountaineering skis. I don't like skiing that much. Some friends go every year.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hiked the John Muir Trail from Happy Valley in Yosemite to Mount Whitney. Thats a great trail and lots of fun off shoots.

I like the Eastern Sierras tho the best. I like the scenery and the rugged peaks. The Rockies are older and a bit more worn, less austere. Any put in along the John Muir trail will be spectacular. French Canyon thru Pine creek might be my fave, also thru Bishop and Lake Sabrina is awesome down to Lyall meadow.

I agree, the High Sierras are special, especially at elevations above 9,000'. I have hiked thousands of miles in the High Sierras from the late 60's into the 80's. When I worked for the USFS in the Spanish Peaks Wilderness in the 70's there were months when you wouldn't see another person, fabulous mountains, moose, grizzly, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, elk, etc. and I missed the high, open granite of the Sierras.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My wife has skied off Mt. Lassen several times with downhill equipment and she just bought Rondone(sp) mountaineering skis. I don't like skiing that much. Some friends go every year.

When I lived in Redding one of my favortie annual summer pastimes was to hike up Mt. Lassen and camp overnight on top during the Perseid meteor shower that happens every August. What a view. Against NPS rules, I know, but we practiced low impact backpacking and the view of the meteors always made it worth lugging the weight up to the summit.

That's great country up there.

knight_71

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i did all the appalation trail in PA. delaware water gap was the prettiest do it in the spring and u hike down the side of the mountain side of the mountain in a tunnel of wild rhodedendrons in bloom. so pretty. would love to get back on the trail soon.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Best hike ever is the 75km long West Coast Trail in Pacific Rim National Park on the coast of Vancouver Island. I have done it twice, once with friends and once with my daughter. It's incredible, but difficult and you should allow at least 6 days. 8 or 9 is better. It's not easy to get to, reservations required and they only allow 52 people a day to enter the trail. But it totally worth the hassle and expense.

There are many nice day or weekend hiking trails in BC. One that our extended family does as a group every year is to climb The Chief near Squamish.