Hillary Clinton and gay rights.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm not an American citizen, but as a gay man, I find her views on Homosexuality (as a possible future American president) very refreshing.

Times have changed here in Western Europe. As a young gay man in the 1980's, times were changing, although we were denied the same basic Human Rights that Heterosexuals married/registered partners enjoyed.
Now I live in a country where true equality exists, gay men and women in registered relationships receive the same tax breaks and entitlements, access to partners pensions, inheritance rights and hospital rights (where we can now be consulted as the true next of kin if a partner is ill, without the possibility of being denied access to our ill/dying partner), as anyone else in a registered relationship or marriage is entitled to.

These are all fundamental rights, that everyone must be allowed to have access to.

A link to Sen. Clintons views on Gay rights, the music is cheesy, but what she says is a powerful endorsement of change for GLBT people in America.

My question is that in the new America, is there truly a place for discrimination? And which way do you think your country will steer on this issue in 2008?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My question is that in the new America, is there truly a place for discrimination? And which way do you think your country will steer on this issue in 2008?

IMO, no there is no room for discrimination in America. Some of us need to get over it! We are not all the same and never will be. Different is more often good than bad. I have no idea, just when I think we are becoming more liberal and accepting of all people the pendulum swings to the right again. :mad:

Discrimination is kinda like jell-o, there always seems to be room for it. :mad:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Barack Obama also has refreshing views on LGBT rights:
pride.barackobama.com | Obama Pride Home

As far as the 2008 presidential election, I think that Gay rights will not become the wedge issue that they were in 04. The country is changing. I live in a state where same sex marriage is legal, and more states are passing Civil Union bills. Plus the country seems to be focused on other issues like the economy going down the toilet and the endless war in Iraq.