Hillary's Nasty Pastorate

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
He said that John McCain would say exactly what Obama said if you asked him if he agreed with everything that he (his minister) said.

Uh huh, and unless John McCain's minister agrees with Rev. Wright and made the same or similiar statements that Rev. Wright did in the pulpit, that has no bearing on Obama's mentorship by Wright and Obama remaining a member of the Trinity church. Again if that happened...let us know.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
-cough-

"In the United States, the sacred cow is the concept of the nation -- someone who is a religious minister can say almost anything they want and not get into trouble in the political realm unless they go after the nation," said David Domke, a professor of communication at the University of Washington. Yeary was sympathetic as a fellow pastor and said while he did not agree with Wright's comments, all preachers eventually got caught in the trap of their own exuberance.
"All preachers have a tendency to overstate because our passion is so intense. But I thought Obama did a fine job in response. He preserved his friendship with his pastor while disagreeing with him," Yeary said.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
-cough-
"In the United States, the sacred cow is the concept of the nation -- someone who is a religious minister can say almost anything they want and not get into trouble in the political realm unless they go after the nation," said David Domke, a professor of communication at the University of Washington. Yeary was sympathetic as a fellow pastor and said while he did not agree with Wright's comments, all preachers eventually got caught in the trap of their own exuberance.
"All preachers have a tendency to overstate because our passion is so intense. But I thought Obama did a fine job in response. He preserved his friendship with his pastor while disagreeing with him," Yeary said.

Bless you.

Again, since Yeary does not agree with Wright's statements and Yeary is not suggesting that he would ever make statements like those uttered by Wright himself and since Yeary is not suggesting John McCain would sit quietly while he did, there is little bearing on how Obama handled his mentorship and membership with Wright and Trinity Church.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
For the record, Hillary is a life long United Methodist. She attends Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

As one poster commented, there are multiple organizations with "Family" as part of the name of the organization.

At this point, Hillary hasn't said she is a member of this Bible study group. She has not listed it as her basis of beliefs. She has made it known that she is United Methodist.

I am United Methodist. One thing that can be said for sure is that the United Methodist Church is far from being a right wing church. The Untied Methodist Church is part of the so called "main line liberal denominations."

My personal take on this is that this blog writer is full of smoke. I am getting frustrated with the Obama/Clinton race being defined by this kind of stuff. I didn't like it when it was Dr. Wright and I don't like it now. I would have considered what Dr. Wright said if I had access to the entire sermon to see just where he was going with his comments. The United Church of Christ of which Trinity is part of is a very liberal main line denomination. In fact the United Church of Christ is a bit more liberal than the United Methodist Church on some issues. Though both churches share many of the same social and religious views.

If someone really wants to know about Trinity they should go to their website and found out. This is their official web site. It should be an accurate account of their message to the world.

Trinity United Church of Christ

I just received another e-mail about Obama that stunk just like this blog did. It said all kinds of false stuff. And where did it come from? Not a Hillary fan. Local Republicans who have my e-mail address and so I get their stuff. And I am tiring of it. And I am sure it shows here.

I trust reading the church's web site when it comes to helping me believe what Obama might believe and what the United Methodist Church positions are when considering what Hillary might believe over a blog and some 5 minute sound bites that might be misleading to say the least.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I knew I should've copied the last part.
"I'm sure John McCain would probably say the same thing about me if he were asked 'So, do you agree with everything your pastor says?"' he added with a laugh.

And also:

All preachers have a tendency to overstate because our passion is so intense.
It doesn't matter if Yeary agrees or not. He doesn't disparage the comments, he just states that he doesn't agree. He respects. And that is statement enough.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This would be funny if it wasn't just sad. A sad attempt to show something that isn't there because Obama chose Wright as his Mentor and Moral Compass and remained in the church where Wright ranted his inflammatory beliefs in the pulpit.
Grasping at anything is just sad.
Oooo, harsh words. Since none of us have access to the full content of the Rev. Wright's speech. I can only assume that Obama's detractors chose to use the most inflammatory and divisive sounding of sound bites. As for this man being his mentor and moral compass what planet do you live on? :confused: I mean seriously. I'm a United Methodist and I have rarely if ever agreed with any pastor I have ever had politically. I usually choose a church based on which one is closest to my home. :rolleyes::tongue:

My point, and I do have one is that while Obama may have attended here regularly that does not mean that he takes every word that comes from the Rev. Wright's mouth as a pearl of wisdom to be cherished and repeated to the masses.

Now, what's this flap about The Hillary having a prostate!?!?!? Oooh, uh . . . sorry, never mind. (Is there any more orange juice and champagne?)
tee hee hee No dahlink, there isn't. I drank the last bit; but I'll check the wine cellar for some more Moet. :wink:

I don't care where any of the candidates attend church since they are not supposed to legislate their religious beliefs anyway.
Bingo! Nobody ever says anything about the close relationship the Rev. Billy Graham has had with every President since Nixon. :confused:

Hillary's Nasty Pastorate by Barbara Ehrenreich
There's a reason why Hillary Clinton has remained relatively silent during the flap over intemperate remarks by Barack Obama's former pastor, Jeremiah Wright. When it comes to unsavory religious affiliations, she's a lot more vulnerable than Obama.
*SNIP*
Obama has given a beautiful speech on race and his affiliation with the Trinity Unity Church of Christ. Now it's up to Clinton to explain -- or, better yet, renounce -- her longstanding connection with the fascist-leaning Family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting article not sure how much is truth though. I find this interesting because during her husbands presidencys and when First Lady of Arkansas she was a member of the United Methodist Church. I'm mystified at her being a part of such a conservative group; but maybe she joined in the midst of that whole Monica Mess. You know how some people turn to the church in times of strife and desperation.

Then again, there is no law saying she has to remain the same faith for all eternity...

I just wanted to reiterate my initial comments because some people seem to think I agreed and/or believed the crap Ms. Ehrenreich has written. I do not. Nor do I believe that Obama's actions have been influenced by Rev. Wright.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Oooo, harsh words. Since none of us have access to the full content of the Rev. Wright's speech. I can only assume that Obama's detractors chose to use the most inflammatory and divisive sounding of sound bites. As for this man being his mentor and moral compass what planet do you live on? :confused: I mean seriously. I'm a United Methodist and I have rarely if ever agreed with any pastor I have ever had politically. I usually choose a church based on which one is closest to my home. :rolleyes::tongue:

My point, and I do have one is that while Obama may have attended here regularly that does not mean that he takes every word that comes from the Rev. Wright's mouth as a pearl of wisdom to be cherished and repeated to the masses.

I just wanted to reiterate my initial comments because some people seem to think I agreed and/or believed the crap Ms. Ehrenreich has written. I do not. Nor do I believe that Obama's actions have been influenced by Rev. Wright.

If these are the most inflammatory statements...they are enough. If we had every sermon from beginning to end it does not change the beliefs that Wright holds on race, and America, the inflammatory fabrications of truth he made, and the profanity he used in the pulpit.

Obama defined the relationship between himself and Wright. Nobody defined that for him. Obama defined Wright as his Mentor, Moral Compass, and Spiritual Advisor.

No one is suggesting that every church member takes every word from a pastor's mouth as gospel...actually we are suggesting just the opposite.

If Obama is who he claims to be...and he can indeed unify the nation, bridging racial divides...why did Obama not do that in his own church? Why did Obama not either leave or start making the racial change, start the "new america," retranslate Wright's "stagnant" message of division to a message of unification and hope. That is the crux of the Obama campaign.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Obama defined the relationship between himself and Wright. Nobody defined that for him. Obama defined Wright as his Mentor, Moral Compass, and Spiritual Advisor.

Everyone's already heard your fallacious syllogism, Trinity. Some have, but most aren't buying it...but I'll guarantee you those that don't aren't changing their minds. So let it go. If you want to go on believing (though I suspect you actually don't) in it, then you go right ahead.

If Obama is who he claims to be...and he can indeed unify the nation, bridging racial divides...why did Obama not do that in his own church? Why did Obama not either leave or start making the racial change, start the "new america," retranslate Wright's "stagnant" message of division to a message of unification and hope. That is the crux of the Obama campaign.

Probably because Barack Obama has a much better sense of judgement about where such change is necessary in his life than some twit on an internet message board. If you had actually listened to the senator instead of cherry-picking lines you might twist to use against him, you might have already understood the answer to your question.

Though he repudiated the choice of language, Obama did not dispute that the basis behind Wright's sermons was valid. This "change" in the church leadership which you claim to think would have been in keeping with Obama's message wasn't necessary, particularly in light of Wright's impending retirement.

For you to judge that such change was needed, based on your expansive knowledge of the church, its pastor, its history, and its congregation is just laughable. But at least it's in keeping with the humor of all your other remarks in the vein of If Obama was really X like he says, then he would have done Y. It's just a wonder he hasn't been knocking down your door to bring you on as a campaign strategist.
:rolleyes:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Everyone's already heard your fallacious syllogism, Trinity. Some have, but most aren't buying it...but I'll guarantee you those that don't aren't changing their minds. So let it go. If you want to go on believing (though I suspect you actually don't) in it, then you go right ahead.

Everyone has already heard your view as well. Yet you see fit to keep posting it. Expect others to exercise that right as well.

Probably because Barack Obama has a much better sense of judgement about where such change is necessary in his life than some twit on an internet message board. If you had actually listened to the senator instead of cherry-picking lines you might twist to use against him, you might have already understood the answer to your question.

Everytime you can't think of a good response you start the name calling and going negative. Again you describe yourself Hazel.

Obama is running on his judgment and a promise of change and hope. Expect that his judgment and his ability to accomplish what he promises will be evaluated....plain and simple.

Though he repudiated the choice of language, Obama did not dispute that the basis behind Wright's sermons was valid. This "change" in the church leadership which you claim to think would have been in keeping with Obama's message wasn't necessary, particularly in light of Wright's impending retirement.

Obama condemned and repudiated the statements and the underlying sentiments expressed entirely. In fact Obama stated that he does not hold those beliefs. Obama was a member for 20 years. Obama had Wright as a moral advisor for those 20 years. Rev. Wright supposedly retired in early 2008. Wright's 9/11 comment was back in 2001. Wright's "God Damn America" comment in 2003. Obama had 5-7 years to be a change maker in the face of adversity. He did not.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
No, he didn't...and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

"Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue."
"Because these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, a number of people have legitimately raised questions about the nature of my relationship with Rev. Wright and my membership in the church. " - Barack Obama

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Still waiting for that part about underlying sentiments... :rolleyes:

LoL. It's in "outright rejects, categorically denounce, vehemently disagree and strongly condemns" LoL

No, Trinity it's not really there at all.

However IMHO, the words "... these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, ..."could reasonably be interpreted as an implicit rejection of Wright's 'underlying' sentiments, not merely his words. Although this would be only in so far as they related to that sermon, not as a broader rejection.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
looks like crap sounds like crap must be crap. Hell maybe monica is the pastor.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
I knew I should've copied the last part.

And also:

It doesn't matter if Yeary agrees or not. He doesn't disparage the comments, he just states that he doesn't agree. He respects. And that is statement enough.

John McCain's Pastor Yeary knows that John McCain probably does not agree with everything he says because Pastors have a tendency to speak passionately?

So what? Yeary's thoughts on the matter have no bearing on this case unless John McCain was faced with a situation like Obama was faced with...where he had to ultimately "outright reject, categorically denounce, vehemently disagree and strongly condemn" statements that could confuse his character and sully his beliefs.

He respects that Rev. Wright has a right to make the remarks? We all agree with that. Most Americans however, condemn the inflammatory statements and beliefs, including Obama. Yeary is making a statement of little relevance.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If Obama was really X...

I would vote for him and he would lead the revolution. I think he is taking all you gullible [typical] white people for a ride, probably laughing behind closed doors with his boys at how his fan base will stop at nothing short of a picture of him with bin laden in their fanboy fury. My only gripe with them is that they are largely basing their fanboyism on intuition or faith or nothing concrete as opposed to revolution.

I don't trust americans' intuition or faith.