Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Based with this post

What does everyone feel about places that hire based on looks? Why would it be ok to "ban" this practice?

I feel that if a business wants a certain appearance, it should have the right to hire people that "fit" the criteria they are looking for, or the image that they want to portray.

As a business move, it may not be the smartest. Above average appearance vs above average knowledge, experience or performance isn't exactly going to up the profits, but it shouldn't be something that they are forced to stop doing.

Thoughts?

*Mods, wasn't sure where I should post this, so chose "Appearance". Guess it could fit in ETC. Move it if you like** :smile:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Well, you can have above average appearance AND above average knowledge, so that not a choice that we really have to make.

I think it's fine to have looks among hiring criteria. It's sad in some ways, but I don't think anyone should have the right to interfere with that sort of thing.

LittleDicky

LPSG Legend
Media
I can't speak to the ethics of "taking pictures and sending them to corporate" as stated in the original post. That seems a bit extreme.

But, I think it's a fairly reasonable assumption that good-looking people (regardless of intelligence or ability) have an advantage in getting hired and generally have an advantage in life. It's simple marketing. A simple fact of life. But, looks just get people in the door. They have to be able to deliver.

Would you rather have (pick a name) or Quasimodo working for you?

As Jerry Seinfeld one quipped: "Did you ever see any good-looking homeless?"

Last edited:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
In some businesses it ain't fair to only hire people based on their looks or more based on their looks than their qualities.
But in some cases it is quite normal I believe.
For example, I know a dietician who is quite fat herself... I don't think anyone wants to follow a diet written by a dietician who is fat herself. :rolleyes:

In some businesses you know that appearance is important. Important for you and your colleagues and customers.
But mainly, if they hire, it should be because of your qualities and experience.

Last edited:

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
As someone that's had difficulty getting jobs because of my appearance, I think it's something that should be very low or at the bottom of the list of qualities employers should consider in the hiring process. With that being said, I'm more than happy to be excluded from a company that places so much emphasis on appearance. I'm clean, neat and organized in my appearance and my work, if they can't see past the weight then I'm okay with that. It's the equivalent of the trash taking itself out.

I was an at-home mom for a couple of years before I decided I needed to go back to work. I got my feet wet by doing some temp jobs and I always got the same look every time I met my coworkers for the first time. Eyes wide open, a quick shuffle to hide their surprise at my size, tripping over their words, etc. Instead of calling attention to it, I ignored it and just dug into the job at hand. It wouldn't take them long to figure out that I'm assertive, creative and smart. After that my physicality ceased to be of any concern, as it clearly didn't stop me from doing anything. I'm living proof that people still hire employees for their brains and not their looks. On the flipside, I wouldn't appreciate being hired for being pretty, either. Knowing that I was hired because I was attractive would be unsettling to me.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think to a certain degree we are all judged on our appearance every day whether it is employment or we are being profiled by sales associates in a department store. That being said I worked as a model and it was uber judgemental (height, weight, hair color, eye color, complexion etc) (Eileen Ford almost made me cry once) I was also a flight attendant a long time ago and someone told me at the time that the first interview was to "weed out the uglies and the fatties" (their words not mine)
Because I had been so conditioned to being judged based on how you look I continued to care about the image that I presented throughout my professional life as an attorney. Like any other profession requiring advanced education and experience you can't get by on your looks but I think that they certainly don't hurt you. I know some brilliant people who are quite bland looking or overweight and I can't say that their career has been hindered but I know from one or two that they have cried at night because thoughtless people were less than tactful with them either at work or socially.
Most of the work that I do now are voice overs for television commercials and cartoons however whenever I go for an audition or report to work I still put my best foot forward in terms of my appearance and professional demeanor because I think people notice and care.
I think profiling based on appearance will always exist, I don't agree that it's right or fair but I think it's human nature.

Last edited:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
All places hire based on appearance to some extent. They're just more subtle about it, perhaps to the point where they don't even realize it. I don't have cites handy, but apparently, taller men/slimmer women tend to get more job offers, all else being equal.

As to the ones that aren't subtle... I guess it's easy for me to say, "who really aspires to be a minimum-wage clothing store clerk or wait staff at hooters". But for the people who want/need those jobs and can't get them based on looks, it's obviously an issue.

An interesting parallel could be drawn between companies that hire for looks and those who date based on looks alone. Both groups could potentially be missing out on a superior employee/partner.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's fine in terms of 'presentability', but actual attractiveness should - for the most part - not be a factor at all. It does happen all the time, though. It wouldn't take long to find a barmaid or barman, or a guy's secretary where beauty has been key in helping them stand out from the other applicants.

ucsb123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sometimes this turns to be racially motivated. I was told by Hollister that I didn't have the "look" they were going for. This was with 3 years retail experience (with managerial experience), living near the actual Hollister Ranch (I lived off of Hollister Rd in Goleta), and had open availability. They gave it to a blonde guy that was slightly out of shape and had terrible acne.

Oddly, a few months later the media reported on discriminatory hiring practices of A&F and its subsidiaries.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sometimes this turns to be racially motivated. I was told by Hollister that I didn't have the "look" they were going for. This was with 3 years retail experience (with managerial experience), living near the actual Hollister Ranch (I lived off of Hollister Rd in Goleta), and had open availability. They gave it to a blonde guy that was slightly out of shape and had terrible acne.

Oddly, a few months later the media reported on discriminatory hiring practices of A&F and its subsidiaries.

Abercrombie & Fitch has been that way forever. I worked there way back in 1998 when I was in college. I am blonde, blue eyed, had acne, and an average body. This HOT Asian guy who had perfect skin, and wasboard abs lived in my apt. building was looking for a job so I suggested that he come in and fill out an application. The manager interviewed him but didn't hire him. I later asked the manager why he didn't get the job and he said "well he just doesn't have the A&F look." I guess since he was Asian he didn't look "all American" enough.:rolleyes:

ebutuoy28

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just wrote this in another thread but, fair and ethical or not, if I'm hiring a gardener or a builder or a window cleaner the real hot guys with the huge flopping bulges in sweatpants or bulges in real low lowrise jeans get the job every time.

youllneed2hands

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hiring prohibitions based on race or "looks" are strictly prohibited in California. A&F was taken to the cleaners in a class action settlement. Outside of Cal., anti-discrimination laws are enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Don't tolorate it.

D_Alec_Baldtwins

Account Disabled
Media
I worked for 11 years as an executive for a Fortune 1000 company, and it was a revelation in many respects, seeing the differences between the public face of the company and what actually went on in the executive suite. Just one quote from the CEO, in a discussion about plans for continuing growth and success: "We want to surround ourselves with smart, good-looking young people." At the same time, as manager of a division, I'm taking mandatory, on-line courses in non-discriminatory hiring and other management practices, something the company is bragging about on their web site.