Hiring a handyman help

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by bigbulgelicker45, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bigbulgelicker45

So I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a handyman and I guess you could say he'd be an employee of mine and we would have a relationship when it comes to work.

It's almost like I'm "Murphy Brown" since I've had quite a few handymen over the last couple of months. They start a project and never complete it or they say they'll be back to finish it and they don't.

Two of the guys I hired I did blow and the last one wanted me to do him but there was just chemistry there (even as friends and I dreaded him coming over to work. He was also known to just "pop on over" to work.)

I'm not mechanically inclined and I find doing things (like painting, etc.) to be very boring. If someone were around I'm more than happy to do some of the work but I'm always stuck doing it by myself or having to look for someone new.

I just posted an ad for a couple of projects that need to be completed and this time I plan on interviewing them in person. A couple of years ago I did the same thing and while he does help me around the house at times when I need it, there are things I don't want to entrust him with (i.e electrical).

So, for my interviews (if I get any responses) what should I ask or look for in a potential handyman? The guy who I don't get along with does have a a very good work record since he has/had his own company but when he'd take a break or after finishing we'd talk and his tone was always condenscending like I didn't know how to tun my own life and he was "perfect at everything" he touched. No, he's not one I blew but wanted me to.

I'm looking for someone that I can build a trustful relationship with and feel comfortable around- like after he's done working go grab dinner or a drink.

What would you ask/ look for in this situation?

2. BJs4You IL

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A miracle! Seriously, I have plenty of guys working on my house. I can't imagine getting it on with any of them. I'm sure they're out there, but...first things first. Just ask for references and/or photos of work they've completed before getting around to, shall we say, the social side of the handyman coin. Hell, I haven't even offered mine a beer yet.

3. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

tell him what project(s0 you need done and ask him what experience he's had doing that kind of work. does he have his own tools? does he have any work references, or at least a few pictures? how quickly can he complete the project? who pays for materials? does he have work insurance? how soon can he start?

Oh! $$$. will he quote a fixed price for doing the project or want an hourly rate? what is his work rate?

4. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Flipping heck!!

I wouldnt and COULDNT consider doing anything with my maid,gardener/hired help!

EUWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Not a scooby where you'd start finding hired help who you could give a bj to as you could be sued upto the eyeballs for sexual harassment.

5. bigbulgelicker45

Thanks guys for the advice. One of my friends used to do a lot of work around my house but unfortunately he passed away (when I found out I just looked up and said "Well, you found a way to get out of doing the moulding!- since he kept putting it off and putting it off).

In this economy with a lot of guys out of work they advertise their services and I want to build a relationship with them so then whenever I do need something done I know they're reliable and I can recommend then to friends in the future.

Usually I'm dragged to the store to buy the stuff but sometimes they've bought it and I've reimbursed them (and luckily they do have their own tools).

I'll be sure to ask for photos of previous work (oh and even though the guy who basically gutted my bathroom took before and after pictures he asked if I'd use him as a reference which he did a great job but never showed up to finish so I don't how I would answer that question if it ever came up).

Draft saved Draft deleted