historic pictures

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I feel certain that I am searching badly, but I can't seem to locate a thread which features pictures or illustrations on the history of men's underwear. Does such a thing exist here at LPSG, or can someone point me to a good external source? I am looking, particularly, for pre-20th century. I feel certain that there was more to underwear than union suits...

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What I am trying to figure out, actually, is what a fashionably queer man would have worn in the Gilded Age for underwear.

I once helped someone do historic research for costuming purposes. We researched business listings ie catalogs from the era. Let me call my friend and see if I can come up with something for you.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I once helped someone do historic research for costuming purposes. We researched business listings ie catalogs from the era. Let me call my friend and see if I can come up with something for you.
Just one of the reasons I love you. I have been able to locate a Monkey Wards and a Sears for the late 1890s, both of which have extensive selections of one-piece (union) underwear, but I seriously doubt that a queer man of the day would have worn that. I know theoretically that two piece underwear existed, and in colors even, but can find no pictorial evidence of what it might have looked like.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Search "history of men's underwear" on Wikipedia. There's a shitload of different articles.
Having now searched through those links rather thoroughly, I can confidently say that Wikipedia is surprisingly uninformative (especially pictorially) about this. Most history links are actually the fairly recent histories of underwear companies like Calvin Klein, etc.

Not that I am not grateful for any leads, but I am still looking for good information, especially visuals, about "fashionable" young queer's underwear just before and after 1900. Anybody with leads?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I spoke to my costume designer friend last night, and it would appear that the "Well To Do" of this era were having tailor made clothes and tailored undergarments that would work with the line or silhouette of the garments; they would vary from silk, cotton, linen or lightweight wool.
Finding photographic evidence is going to prove problematic as these types of knickers were not for sale on the open market in catalogs. She told me that she has some very old sketches and examples and would hunt for them.
Sorry I could not be more help.

Last edited:

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I spoke to my costume designer friend last night, and it would appear that the "Well To Do" of this era were having tailor made clothes and tailored undergarments that would work with the line or silhouette of the garments; they would vary from silk, cotton, linen or lightweight wool.
Finding photographic evidence is going to prove problematic as these types of knickers were not for sale on the open market in catalogs. She told me that she has some very old sketches and examples and would hunt for them.
Sorry I could not be more help.
That is a fantastic help! Although I am sorry to hear that they were all tailor made, and therefore there might be little pictographic evidence, it at least confirms my hypothesis that stylish young queers surely would not wear a baggy union suit under their fashion statements. Thanks so much for the help!