Hit & Run Car Accidents

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Jun 29, 2007.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

My mom was involved in a car accident near the hospital where she works. She's okay, but when she saw the car who hit her from behind start to pull over she parked as well, the second she got out the other car peeled off. She's certain of the first four letters/numbers of the license plate and *thinks* she might have the whole thing. She knows it was a silver pick-up truck of some sort.

So here in NYC most people naturally assume the cops don't really persue matters like this too seriously. I really hate hit and run's. I don't know if anyone remembers but there was a story back in 2004 of a girl who got hit by a car crossing the street, the car didn't even stop and just sped away. She got hit by a second car while still in the street...it too left the scene, then she got hit by a third car going 80 MPH and was killed, it too left. I went to school with her so I can't stand people getting away with stuff like this.

What are the odds anything will be done to this guy? Or will this just be another case of a jerk getting away with breaking the law?

2. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

If they catch him, he can do jail time. I hope he does major jail time.
    Yesterday I came out to my truck to go home, somebody had slammed the rear fender. Of course they disappeared. I hope it tore their vehicle up at least 3 times as badly as it did mine. Jerks.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Let's just hope they do catch the driver and they get severe justice.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I have two stories to share about this... neither of them were ever solved. The first story was in February of 1998. I was 15 at the time. My friend and I were walking to the grocery store to grab some sodas and snacks. We had to cross a major street, 6 lanes total, with a large median in the middle. We crossed at a light. When it was okay to cross, we went across the first three lanes, and were in the median when the orange warning light started flashing that basically tells you to hurry the hell up. We thought about waiting in the median till the next light change, but we said hell with it and ran across the last three lanes. Only problem being, after we crossed the first lane, the walk sign turned red, and the traffic light turned green. Everyone saw us, so they waited for us to finish crossing before they started to go. However, in the last lane, a truck came pummeling down right towards us... (the last lane is "right turn only" but his goal was to fly past all the traffic in the other two lanes, and cross in front of them after he got through the light). So he comes barreling down the road, and hits both my friend and I. My friend got up and walked to the other side of the road, but I had blacked out. I had flown about 10 feet, and was lying in the middle of the intersection. I came to when I heard a white car honk at me. I got up, and crossed the street to where my friend was standing. All of a sudden, a car pulls onto the side street next to us and says "Go into Macaroni Grill (restaurant), I've called the paramedics and they are on their way." So my friend and I walked into the really fancy restaurant (mind you, it's about 6:30pm on a friday night, so they are busy as hell), and the hostess asks if she can help us (I think it was obvious that we weren't there for dinner). I told her that we had just gotten hit by a truck, and that some guy had told the paramedics to meet us here. I asked if we could use the restroom. The woman was a bit shocked, and led us to the restroom. As soon as the door shut behind us, I dropped my pants. I know that may sound odd, but my adrenaline was pumping like holy hell, and I could've had two broken legs and probably not have even noticed. I needed to physically see that I was still in one piece. I was. Nothing was broken. My friend was in one piece as well. We exit the restrooms, and the hostess has us sit on a bench to wait for the paramedics. She gets us each a soda, and the paramedics show up. They are treating us right there in the middle of the restaurant. The paramedics cut my jeans up the sides, so they could check my legs. Everything was good. We went to the emergency room in the back of the ambulance. They had put my friend on a stretcher because she had complained of back pain, and they wanted to play it safe. Turns out we were both okay. She still has back pain on occasion, though. My jaw was knocked out of place, and I had to eat soft foods for a week or two until it fixed itself. My dad bought me baby food. :tongue: I had severe bruising on my arms and legs, and a bruise on my jaw line as well. We got to leave the hospital that night. Luckily for me, the next two days were a saturday and sunday, so I just laid around the house and relaxed. Getting hit by a car really does a number on your muscles! I was SO sore! Insane. My glasses had gotten broken in the accident, so I went a week without any. That sucked BAD. Other than that, we were fine. The guy was never caught. He hit us, then ran. The white car that was honking at me, and another car had chased him and gotten his license plate number. They reported it to the police, but he apparently had stolen plates because they didn't match the truck he was driving. End of story.

The second story I have to share is much shorter, I promise. :biggrin: It was just a few months ago, when I got my latest tattoo. The only parking at the tattoo parlor is parallel parking... and I parallel parked behind a tow truck. I thought I had given him plenty of room to get out, but I guess he didn't think so. I came out from getting my tattoo, and he had run over the TOP of my car, creating a nice scrape and dent in the hood... all the paint was scraped off, and it's now starting to rust. :frown1: That makes me sad. I was so proud of the paint job on this car, because my last two cars sucked in that area. This car was a beautiful, shiny, spotless royal blue... but not anymore! When I had gone in to get the tattoo, I didn't think to catch the name of the towing company... I mean, why would I? But now I wish I had. :frown1:

5. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    i am sorry to hear about your mom and the jerk that hit her from behind...it all depends ..how seriously the cops that took the report take it..some cops as we all know are more diligent than others.......some are overzealous which at times can be a good thing....it also depends on how things are being prioritized at the station house that covers the scene where the accident took place...i will be honest with you and say this....since your mom was not "critically injured" and this was not a "fatality" it may go unsolved.....the best thing to do is canvass folks in the area....beleive me there was some old lady sitting in the window that saw the whole thing unfold...good luck

6. SteveHd

Gold Member

There's a fair chance. Should they find him, he'll be in deepshit. I don't know NY law, but in Florida body shops are required to report any car presented which has substantial damage and no police report. Hopefully, NY and surrounding states have similar laws.

There's a chance he'll turn himself in. Some scumbags do: it weighs on their "conscience".

Once the offending vehicle is found, they can match paint chips and parts left at the scene to his vehicle. So even if he changes the license plate and has it clandestinely repaired, they can still match it. But they have to find it.

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

if all the guy did was damage your mom's car, I wouldn't get your hopes up. If there was a fatality involved the cops would at least put some effort into finding the culprit. In this case they probably won't.

8. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

Well the cops never even showed up after 4 calls from my mom in 3 hours, they told her if she felt like it she could go make a report in person. She decided it wasn't worth the trouble so thats the end of it I guess.

9. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:

yea if it she was injured or it was a fatality then they would "act but they do not really take hit and runs on a whole as serious.....and people on here are talking about jail time ...get a grip... hope ya mom is alright!!!!

10. shad24

shad24 New Member

I really know the feeling. about a year ago I was out running, still daylight and got hit from behind, thats all I remember till waking up in emergency. I had a broken leg, broken collar bone,a broken arm. tons of road rash. scars from that everywhere, and numerous sutures in my head. My mom came and was there before they sewed me up and she passed out when she first saw me. it had torn so much skin off my scalp she could actually see large pieces of my skull. she was sure she had got lost and went to the morgue instead.
    The cops never did catch him/ them. Months afetr a cop showed up at my door. said he had to make a report. they had never filed one or anything and were now trying to cover their tracks! told him to get the fuck off my property, that he was the det. he could figure it out himself.
    he got shitty and told me I was intereferring? in a police investigation and he could arrest me if he wanted. I hobbled out to his cruiser, he asked where I thought I was going. I told him to jail so I could get his fucking job. needless to say he left never to be heard from again.

Draft saved Draft deleted