Hitchhiking at 13 years old

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Can't believe i did it! It was neccessary when I was young. I could not imagine it today! I was once picked up by a famous NYC radio dj at a place called rockaway point. My str8 friend probably saved the day but who knows maybe I could have had fun!Did you hitch when you where young?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Did you hitch when you where young?

Yes, though not that young. :eek: I was like 20 and my car had broken down on the way from a job interview at Seaview Square Mall. I realized it was dumb like 5 seconds after I got into the car but since it was freezing outside and I only needed a ride like 2 miles up the road to my moms job. It seemed the right thing to do at the time. Though both my parents and later my friends reamed me out royally.

Looks like we are both lucky to be around gjorg.:smile:

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, though not that young. :eek: I was like 20 and my car had broken down on the way from a job interview at Seaview Square Mall. I realized it was dumb like 5 seconds after I got into the car but since it was freezing outside and I only needed a ride like 2 miles up the road to my moms job. It seemed the right thing to do at the time. Though both my parents and later my friends reamed me out royally.

Looks like we are both lucky to be around gjorg.:smile:
We where incouraged to hitch, Its like when america still had a conscience. Need a ride? A fellow american will help you out! We still had JFK,RFK,MLK dreams!

jeffkelly2001

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I drive a truck and pick up hitch hikers all the time . But I have a insurance policy really handy and never needed it but i still look them over before i let them get in my rig.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A friend and I used to hitch between being 15 and 18 on the way home from pubs or clubs to save on taxi fare, we were very lucky because most of the men who picked us up were older guys who said if it was their senseless feckless daughters doing that they'd hope someone safe would take them home.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL - I'd kill my kids (figuratively) if they went hitch-hiking. I grew up overseas, and taxi cabs were cheap.

But I've had my fair share of car problems, and I've been assisted by many kind people who've helped me out with jump starts or given me a ride to a gas station.

And now that I'm not so poor anymore, (!), I have AAA.

But I always carry cables so that I can help people out. Pay back time, ya know?

:biggrin1:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, gjorg... I'm so glad you asked this question!

I hitchhiked a lot and all over the Western USA from age 15-19, until I bought my first car... and then occasionally, as needed.

I had many GREAT rides with wonderful people, for the most part, but also some creepy ones, where I actually asked to be let out at the next corner, with some sort of excuse, like I left something behind that I needed. I was offered my first blowjob, my first male 3-way and first toke of pot while hitching... Car-Jacking meant something else back then... lol! I met people who became good friends and travel buddies. I was invited to nice homes for a good night's sleep, meals and a shower, shared campsites and motel rooms and got odd jobs for cash, that helped me on my journeys.

Sometimes I had to camp out overnight at freeways entrances or truck stops, but, eventually, I always got a ride. It might have helped that I looked like a skinny version of Clark Kent! And, I always had cool new music for them to listen to... and always politely listened to what they played.

Interesting note: I was surprised by how many single women picked me up, but, almost all of them had a large dog on board. Smart women. But, I think that I presented myself as a safe, if not, FUN, passenger.

My most recent experiences were due to car trouble or needing to return home before my expected departure times, and the lack of public transportation in remote areas of North Central Washington State, and Northern California. One town practically adopted my best friend and I when we had to hitch because of my starter needing to be replaced. They put us up in a Bed N' Breakfast, bought us dinner at the local cafe, and made long distance phone calls to get someone there to take care of the car and put the two of us back on the road.

Yes, Times have changed... Watching SUV after SUV whisk by... often in the rain... sometimes I had to wait for HOURS, per stretch, and was only picked up by icky, proselytizing, Evangelical "Christians" or packed carloads of kindhearted, sympathetic Mexican migrant workers in tiny, beater Toyotas, with really loud, great music, (and chips and salsa)!

I may have been risking life and limb at times, (drunk drivers, for instance), but, I will never regret the incredible people I met and the experiences I had, good and bad.

Onan

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes, I've done a lot of hitching over the years, but not any time recently. I certainly wouldn't do it today. I've tried to instill in my son reasons that it just isn't a prudent and safe thing to do. If he is stranded or needs help he should go to the police for help.

It's a shame, because we used to trust people and people trusted you and everyone (or most, anyway) would offer help to you with a smile, and sometimes treated you to a meal when they stopped at a diner along the way. I've even had offers of money for motels, food, and have been taken home for a good home cooked meal, a bath, and a sleep. A number of times, the wives washed my clothes and ironed them for me. One time after I left and was on the road again, I found $20.00 in my pants pocket and a note asking me to be careful and to do a good deed or help someone else in payment for the $20.00.

I've hitched in Europe, Scandinavia, India, Nepal, and parts of South America. It was fun and I wish I could do it again and relive those days.

A couple of times, however, I did run into some that wanted to take advantage of me, especially when I was younger. A couple of them I let take advantage of me. :biggrin:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...A couple of times, however, I did run into some that wanted to take advantage of me, especially when I was younger. A couple of them I let take advantage of me. :biggrin:

Yep, but, when their 'advantage' is a pleasurable "advantage" for you... Why not indulge? I did, and boy, am I glad that I did!

Onan

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Can't believe i did it! It was neccessary when I was young. I could not imagine it today! I was once picked up by a famous NYC radio dj at a place called rockaway point. My str8 friend probably saved the day but who knows maybe I could have had fun!Did you hitch when you where young?

We used to wait for pickup trucks to slow and then jump in the flatbed of them and go for as far as we needed To let a driver know to stop we would reach over and hit the back windshield a couple of times Some times I would ride up in the cab with the driver and some times drivers of regular cars would pick me up Never had a bad incident

Seeing hitchhiking teens these days always reminds me of that awfulled movie with the Dallas blonde Charlene Tilton called Diary of a Teenage Hitchhiker