HIV concerns from unprotected oral sex

stickemupboy

Just Browsing
Media
If this helps...I am HIV positive and have been having sex with the same guy for about ten years and when we have oral sex we don't use protection...he is still negative...and recent studies even show that if you are undetectable then you can even have sex for the reason of procreation...

matticus201

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I echo what everyone else has said about not worrying too much, but I realise that you're going to worry anyway.
I'm assuming this guy is about your age, so his chances of having HIV are way lower than average for his race etc. HIV infection rates increase with age, obviously, since once you have it you can't stop having it. A college-age guy who's only been sexually active for a short time is statistically less likely to have HIV than someone in his 30s or 40s +.
You also need to remember the comparative safeness of oral sex. All oral sex has a small risk, even when you don't swallow, because of pre-cum. So unless he's wearing a condom when you give a guy head (does anyone actually do that??), there is no 100% safe way of giving head unless you know the guy and have been tested together. Guys (and girls) give head to other guys without being 100% sure of their HIV status millions of times a day, and yet the infection rate from oral sex is negligible. HIV is a very weak virus and the bacteria in your mouth, throat and stomach kill it easily.

I tend to disagree here. I think it's important to note that anyone of any age can be HIV+, but even MORESO if you are young. New infections are rampant among the 20yo set. These are the dangerous ones, because they are more likely not to know their status, be on medication, and have undetectible viral loads.

Having said that, the transmission rate due to oral sex is negligible, even the CDC, according to their website, supports this claim. I think you are a-ok if you still haven't been able to get a conclusive test.

The fact of the matter is that anytime you get naked with someone else, you are at risk of a host of infections, rashes, and diseases. Even if you do nothing more than skin contact, you can get herpes (incurable), scabies, crabs, and probably several other things that I don't even know about. It's all about managing risk.

Not gonna judge you at all, man. Very few people can say they've never had a sexual slip-up. I agree with all that have said remember this feeling. This will help keep you from slipping up in the future.

Best of luck. =)