Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HIV-Positive Toddler Banned From Pool

ABC News
Posted: 2007-07-09 07:20:50
Filed Under: Health, Nation

(July 8) - A couple says their vacation was ruined when an RV park owner told them they weren't welcome after discovering their 2-year-old foster son had the HIV virus.

var mod_251950 = new pgGlbObject(); mod_251950.pgTotalImages = "5"; mod_251950.pgGalleryId = "15313"; mod_251950.omnitureURL=encodeURI('http://news.aol.com/common/photogallery/omniture.adp'); mod_251950.xmlUrl=encodeURI('http://news.aol.com/common/photogallery/response.xml'); mod_251950.magicNumber= ""; mod_251950.feedType = 'news'; mod_251950.gallerySize = 'large'; mod_251950.adContinue = 'Continue'; mod_251950.adCaption = 'Advertisement'; mod_251950.adURL = encodeURI('http://news.aol.com/common/photogallery/ad_page.html?debug=0&magicnumber=');Photo Gallery: Toddler Denied Access

ABC News

Dick and Silvia Glover's 2-year-old foster son Caleb was banned from a pool in a Silver Hill, Ala., RV park after Silvia casually mentioned the boy was HIV-positive to a desk clerk.

< Previous 1 of 5 Next >

The Glovers said Caleb is a happy child who they just wanted to please because his life expectancy is only seven years. They left the park after they were asked to submit a doctor's note for the boy.

Last week, Dick and Silvia Glover went to the Wales West RV Park in Silver Hill, Ala., with their foster son Caleb. When the boy was banned from using the pool and showers, the Glovers said they were offered an uncomfortable and painful choice: They could either keep Caleb out of the water or leave.

"We weren't sure if somebody could get the virus if the child upchucked on them or from blood or what," said Ken Zadnichek, the park's owner. "We didn't know what the risk was. That's why we asked for something from their doctor or the county health department."

Dick Glover said the request for a doctor's note made it clear Caleb was unwelcome.

An Alabama newspaper quoted Zadnichek as saying, "I'm not responsible for their feelings. I'm responsible for the well-being of everybody in the park. If their feelings got hurt, I'm sorry. That's the way it's got to be."

Upset and dismayed, the couple left with their son.

"Here we are paying for the facilities, but there's certain ones our son can't use," Dick Glover said.

Glover said on "Good Morning America Weekend Edition" that he could understand where Zadnichek was coming from, but added Zadnichek should have been more informed about HIV and AIDS.

"Little Caleb, he was innocent as can be," Glover said. "It was not he's fault he was born with AIDS."

Silvia Glover said it never occurred to her Caleb's HIV status would be an issue. In fact, the matter came up in a casual conversation with a desk clerk when she told the attendant of her plans to adopt the toddler.

The Glovers said they chose the location because of their son's love of trains. Wales West features steam and diesel locomotives -- similar to ones used by the mining industry in Wales -- on a railway that circles a small lake.

Complicating matters is the fact that 69-year-old Dick Glover suffers from advanced non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He is expected to have 18 months to live.

Silvia Glover said some Americans are not educated enough about HIV.

"They don't know near enough, especially that children are totally innocent and represent no danger to the public," she said.

Medical experts said the HIV virus is unable to spread through casual contact.

"There's absolutely no way you can get HIV from a pool or a shower casual contact using the same facilities," said David Little, director of South Alabama CARES, an AIDS education and outreach organization that serves 12 counties in south Alabama. "It just doesn't happen."

The Glovers said Caleb is a happy child who they just wanted to please because his life expectancy is only seven years.

Copyright 2007 ABCNEWS.com

2007-07-08 15:29:46

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You'd think this sort of ignorance would be wiped out by now, wouldn't you? :eek:

I was shocked and horrified when I read about this. I can't believe there are still people who think like this? I bet that idiot is wondering why the toddler was shooting up with a gay, Haitian, drug addict. :mad: :tongue:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm usually the first to call out someone for using a stereotype, but did you notice the location?

I spent two summers during my college years working with a residential framing crew in the Mississippi gulf area, and believe me when I tell you that among the "salt of the earth" folks, these types of ignorance and prejudices aren't just alive and well, they're breeding in numbers.

edie

Just Browsing
Media
Sad how much ignorance and anger there still is in this country. We've come a long way, but we've still got a way to go...

MagicTongue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
That is just pathetic. Banning the kid from the pool and showers just because he's HIV Positive? What kind of morons are they?

Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got so mad when I heard about this story. Not only is it just stupid, but it's downright immoral behavior. How anyone could find fault with an innocent child is beyond me. I hope the couple sues the owners of the pool.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My God. This is disgusting. Absolutely bass-ackwards disgusting. Didn't we all learn that this kind of transmission didn't happen back in the 80s?

If I were the parents, I would have had a doctor call the park simply to educate them. I may have even stayed and put my kid in the pool until the police were called. Then again, it's a 2 year old kid, so who wants to put him through that. The poor kid just wants to swim.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
on the plus side, after this story there'll be a dozen offers of free holidays for the kid.

and hopefully a the arseholes will lose business through this.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The park's owner was probably so clueless that it wasn't HIV that scared him. He probably thought that the 2 year old was a gay drug user.

It's pretty shocking that someone who's 'capable' of owning/operating a business could be so socially ignorant about such a widely discussed issue as HIV transmission.

I also wonder why the parents didn't push harder (educate the park owner, threaten legal action) in defense of their boy. This isn't about the ignorant park owner or the angry parents. Like Snoozan said, this is about a boy that wanted to swim.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also wonder why the parents didn't push harder (educate the park owner, threaten legal action) in defense of their boy. This isn't about the ignorant park owner or the angry parents. Like Snoozan said, this is about a boy that wanted to swim.

That's why I couldn't take it further. I'd probably do just what the parents did, and rather than make a huge scene about it then, just taken the child elsewhere to swim. He's not yet old enough to know what's going on, and it would just upset him that he can't swim.

Now, upon returning from my vacation, I would raise holy hell.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's why I couldn't take it further. I'd probably do just what the parents did, and rather than make a huge scene about it then, just taken the child elsewhere to swim. He's not yet old enough to know what's going on, and it would just upset him that he can't swim.

Now, upon returning from my vacation, I would raise holy hell.

:tongue: I would've raised holy hell right then and there.

Kenyth

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Don't they have antidiscrimination laws in Alaska?

If they do someone should sue those sad ignorant bastards.

Stories like this makes me real mad!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If there is a god, the owners will be on one of their trains when it wrecks and burns everything down

avalonlovelove

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No other word to say but ASSHOLE!That is just discrimination and that poor little kid I bet that hurt his feelings.That man should get fired!:mad: :censored: