HIV transmission thru oral sex question

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by El Zurdo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. El Zurdo

El Zurdo New Member

Hello everyone,

I am currently having a debate with my gf on this particular subject, and what we would both like to know is wether you can get in any way, shape or form HIV/AIDS by giving oral sex to a woman?

From my own research I have never read or heard of a documented case were a man has been infected with the virus by giving oral sex to a woman, however I have read that women on the other hand can get HIV/AIDS by giving oral sex depending on certain circumstances.

If anyone here can help shed some light on this particular subject for the both us that would be great. Oh and before I forget is it possible for a woman to get HIV/AIDS by swallowing and or having some precum in her mouth while giving a blowjob?

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

of course you can

3. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah, HIV is transmitted through bodily fluids including blood, semen, and vaginal secreations. So specifically to the case of a man becoming infected with HIV by giving oral sex to an HIV+ woman, yes it is possible, a cut in the man's mouth (or maybe recent tooth brushing/flossing?) could be a route of entry for HIV, especially if there were a small cut (maybe not even noticeable) on the woman as well.

I'd think it unlikely. But of course it is possible.

And of course it is possible for a woman (or man) to become HIV+ from swallowing cum. Precum, uh...I have also asked many different health professionals about this and get different answers. Some studies have shown no HIV in precum, some have shown there is some HIV in precum. I guess the jury is still out.

I do not find giving, or receiving, blow jobs while wearing condoms particularly sexy...so I guess I'll take my chances. Oral sex with no ejaculate in the mouth is pretty darn low risk, but low does not mean zero and it is up to each one of us to become educated and decide for ourselves what level of risk we are willing to accept.

Hope that helps

D

4. hung9mike

hung9mike Well-Known Member

Albums:
    My recollection, although others are free to dispute what I have to say here if they like, is that there has never been a single documented case of someone contracting HIV through oral sex. This is not to say that it is not possible for contracting the disease in this way cannot happen, however. I've seen studies of the likelihood of transmission of HIV through oral sex, and although the probability of transmission is not zero, the odds are long against it. I think, as BigD_2 observed, it's up to you to determine what level of risk you are willing to accept.

5. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Oral-Vaginal Contact (cunnilingus)

Theoretical Risk:Cunnilingus carries a theoretical risk of HIV transmission for the insertive partner (the person who is licking or sucking the vaginal area) because infected vaginal fluids and blood can get into the mouth. (This includes, but is not limited to, menstrual blood). Likewise, there is a theoretical risk of HIV transmission during cunnilingus for the receptive partner (the person who is having her vagina licked or sucked) if infected blood from oral sores or bleeding gums comes in contact with vulvar or vaginal cuts or sores.

Documented Risk:The risk of HIV transmission during cunnilingus is extremely low compared to vaginal and anal sex. However, there have been a few cases of HIV transmission most likely resulting from oral-vaginal sex.

HIV and Oral Sex - Oral Sex - The Risks of Oral Sex - Oral Sex and HIV

6. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  7. I have Foreskin

I have Foreskin New Member

Albums:
    Gay or straight, I think getting a blast of cum in your mouth from a blowjob is a virtual gaurantee of getting whatever STD the person has. How could it not be?

I understand the part about if you have a cut in your mouth and it gets into your blood but DAMN, you're still swallowing whatever they have either way!:eek: Cum, hiv, syphilis, etc.

As far as licking a girl's pussy goes, I do that, but I keep a towel down there that I can get rid of saliva and her juices in it, as I don't want to swallow them just to be a little safer.

Once I'm married and I'm sure my wife and I are clean, it'll be different, but as long as I'm tappin' whatever ass is made available to me, I'm being a little more careful.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Never say never. People are hit by lightning every week. Does that prevent anyone from leaving the house when it's raining?

There is no risk of transmission of HIV from getting a blowjob, no matter what the scenario: period.

The risk of transmission when giving a blowjob is only possible given some highly unlikely factors:

1) The guy you're blowing has to have a very high, spiking viral load: this is not possible with someone who is on meds. Antiretrovirals are excellent as suppressing viral replication, and people living with HIV are the most closely monitored medical demographics in history. If the guy were unaware of his serostatus, then it's possible to have viral loads of 100,000 or higher (mine was almost a million when I was tested).

2) There can be little or no saliva in your mouth. According to Dan Stowell, an English researcher and authority on HIV:
    There's more about HIV and blowjobs here and here.

That having been said, risk is an individual's own responsibility to assess for him/herself. If having someone put a condom on before putting his dick in your mouth is one of your limits, then you have every right to exercise that option.

And bacterial STD like Syphilis and Gonorrhea can be easily passed through oral, giving or receiving, as can Herpes. They are much stronger organisms than HIV which is actually a total wimp outside of the host's body.

9. craig_uk

craig_uk Member

Albums:
    Please don't profess to have knowledge of a subject of which you are so very ignorant. Why don't you read what others say on this subject before jumping in with your own strange pseudo-science.

Very few viruses are capable of surviving stomach acid, hiv is rendered inactive. Even saliva destroys most viruses. You DO NOT get hiv through ingestion, you get it through transfer into the blood stream.

The safest thing for you to do is swallow, next you might consider spitting (but this might just kill the moment) rather than wipe it on a towel.

The risk is very low and reduced still further by swallowing or spitting.

10. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, OK, but the original point still stands, which is that if there were a cut in the mouth, or anywhere else in the digestive track before HIV is "rendered inactive", then the exposure risk of taking a load of cum in the mouth from an HIV positive person is not equal to zero. The least risky idea is not to engage in the time-honored "swallow or spit" argument at all, but rather to have the person not cum in your mouth to begin with.

I do have a friend who swears that he contracted HIV by giving a blowjob to an HIV positive man. There is of course no way to prove this....but I feel my friend is pretty trustworthy.

With some trepidation, I post the following. The reference is the MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, published by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC)) vol 54 no RR-2, Jan 21 2005. Article "Antiretroviral postexposure prophylaxis after sexual, IDU, or other nonoccupational exposure to HIV in the US."

The article states: "Risk per-act for HIV acquisition. For sexual exposure, assumes no condom use. For oral intercourse, assumes performed on a man."

So, in other words, these 2005 data indicate the chance per act of becoming HIV positive, assuming totally unprotected sex with an HIV positive person (and the oral intercourse is performed on a man, which does nothing to answer the orignal poster's question....oh well).

"Receptive anal intercourse: one in 200"
    (bottoming in unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ top)
    "Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse: one in 1000"
    (a woman in unprotected hetero sex with an HIV+ man)
    "Insertive anal intercourse: one in 1538"
    (topping in unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ bottom)
    "Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse: one in 2000"
    (a man in unprotected hetero sex with an HIV+ woman)
    "Receptive oral intercourse: one in 10,000"
    (taking a load from an HIV+ man)
    "Insertive oral intercourse: one in 20,000"
    (shooting a load into an HIV+ person's mouth)

So, that's what that article says. I mentioned posting this with sme trepidation because I am sure some people will find fault with these numbers...I'm not sure I really think they are all quite right, either, but they are some numbers. Based on, I assume, self-reporting of modes of infection of HIV+ people across the US, across time. The thing I always thnk about when I look at these numbers is that they are averages. Just because the risk is "1 in 1538" doesn't mean which one of the 1538 sexual encounters will be the one. #368? #1568? #1???

At the end of the day, it is all about people becoming educated and being able to make their own assessment of risks.

11. creek47

creek47 New Member

I teach blood bourn pathagens for the American Red Cross. It would be possible if the fluid in the mouth was one of the big 4, Blood, Semen, Vaginal Fluid, and breast milk. However there would have to be an entry point into the blood stream such as a cut. If it was simply swallowed it would go into the stomach and be killed.

For infectionto occur you need to have the disease, sufficent amount of the disease and ofcourse an entry point, so it's possible if there's a cut on the mouth, but very unlikely.

12. karldergrosse

Gold Member

I've read somewhere (source forgotten, but not obviously kooky) that anal secretions carry an even greater viral load than do blood, semen, and vaginal fluids. Clearly I can't vouch for the reliability of that claim. But until it is indisputably proven incorrect, it does seem to me to be a call for extra-special precautions if indulging in anal sex. As for precum, I personally wouldn't trust it, either, since it is known that the HIV virus is very much present in the testicals. (I know: precum is not semen--but still.....)

13. stlguy112000

stlguy112000 Member

I just read the "Who Barebacks" thread, (in the wrong forum I think), & wondered peoples' thoughts on the HIV risk from sucking dick. I'm of the opinion that unless you have open cuts/bites in your mouth, it's a fairly safe practice. I'd be interested in what other people think.

14. luka82

Gold Member

It`s a really low risk, though I have never sucked without a condom. But in all honesty is HIV the only thing people should be scared of?

15. bigjd69

bigjd69 New Member

Good post I always think about that!

16. Masterbeight

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Nothing can be more delicious than sucking a cock without a condom and nothing tastes better than a nice load of hot creamy cum. Years ago I sucked guys that way, and I was sucked that way, fortunately without any negative consequences. I know better now, you can't be careful enough with guys you don't really know. Use condoms all the time, not only in fucking but also in sucking. You will get used to it. It's worth it!

#16 Masterbeight, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  17. D_Jimmy Jammer

D_Jimmy Jammer New Member

I did it a few times with a close friend when we were kids. Obviously, no safety/health issues (STD, HIV etc.) then. It's made me think, though. What about, these days, cuts/abrasions in the mouth from something as 'simple' as, e.g. brushing your teeth? You'd never know. I'd go with condoms, as much I find it hard to contemplate a 'rubber in the mouth' experience.

#17 D_Jimmy Jammer, Sep 22, 2010
  18. luka82

Gold Member

As far as I know the reason why ORAL has the lowest risk of transmission is because the cuts/abrasions heal quickly.
    You should do some searching about HIV on this site, there are some really insightful posts about HIV.

#18 luka82, Sep 22, 2010
  19. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

It's a very low risk. The risk of getting herpes is much higher though.

20. Tremaine

Tremaine Active Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted