Hoax or fact?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Will the Internet be taxed as of November 1, 2003 depending a vote in Congress?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Nope.

Urban Legend #344.

Pecker

(HEADLINE: Lawmen from Mexico Barbeque Guests)

3. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: I've been looking around for clarification...

Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act (Placed on Calendar in Senate)

HR 49 PCS

Calendar No. 283

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 49

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

September 17, 2003
    Received and read the first time

September 18, 2003
    Read the second time and placed on the calendar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN ACT
    To permanently extend the moratorium enacted by the Internet Tax Freedom Act, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act'.

SEC. 2. PERMANENT EXTENSION OF INTERNET TAX FREEDOM ACT MORATORIUM.

(a) IN GENERAL- Subsection (a) of section 1101 of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note) is amended to read as follows:

`(a) MORATORIUM- No State or political subdivision thereof may impose any of the following taxes:

`(1) Taxes on Internet access.

`(2) Multiple or discriminatory taxes on electronic commerce.'.

(b) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- (1) Section 1101 of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note) is amended by striking subsection (d).

(2) Section 1104(10) of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note) is amended by striking `unless' and all that follows through `1998'.

(3) Section 1104(2)(B)(i) of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note) is amended by striking `except with respect to a tax (on Internet access) that was generally imposed and actually enforced prior to October 1, 1998,'.

(c) CLARIFICATION- The second sentence of section 1104(5), and the second sentence of section 1101(e)(3)(D), of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note) are each amended by inserting `, except to the extent such services are used to provide Internet access' before the period.
    Passed the House of Representatives September 17, 2003.

Attest:

JEFF TRANDAHL,

Clerk.

Calendar No. 283

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 49

AN ACT
    To permanently extend the moratorium enacted by the Internet Tax Freedom Act, and for other purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17, 2003

Received and read the first time

September 18, 2003

Read the second time and placed on the calendar

It passed the House but the Senate hasn't voted on it yet and they have today and tomorrow. Think they'll remember to vote on it and not let it expire?

4. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well....yes and no....it might be...

Well not the internet itself...but sales taxes on internet sales are nearing a point where, say, just because I live in Wisconsin and buy something in, say, Michigan...I no longer get the sales tax break anymore...that's the law I heard was going to be passed.

That said, Wisconsin has a use tax and I am supposed to pay the State of Wisconsin anyway....but no one does.

7x6&C

5. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: Taxing the net would be a huge sorce of money that could be used to pay down the debt. It could be used to prop up medicare or social security. It could be used to improve school facilities. It could be used for so many good things.

Do I want to pay....not really.

Will it pass.....hopefully not.

Could it be used for good purposes ....most definitely.

6. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=aj2181 link=board=99;num=1067498018;start=0#4 date=10/30/03 at 16:32:06]Could it be used for good purposes ....most definitely.[/quote]

Like, maybe to cover that pay raise that Congress just gave themselves? :mad:

7. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Wouldn't you just love a job where you can give yourself a raise when you feel like it? I think I'll go to work tomorrow and try it...

8. jonb

Gold Member

[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1067498018;start=0#5 date=10/30/03 at 20:54:48]

Like, maybe to cover that pay raise that Congress just gave themselves? :mad:
    [/quote]
    Or the tax cut they gave to starving CEOs? Geez, like Bill Gates and Ken Lay needed another $5.3*10[sup]8[/sup]

Oh, in 2001, Bush planned to end the moratorium on recycling nuclear waste. In braces. I try hard for a bright smile, but...

9. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Now today I did hear that the feds are talking about allowing the states to add taxes to your ISP bill...it expires tomorrow...could be $5-$10 a month...because the states are starved for money...

10. Imported

Gold Member

ish789: the question is would it be used for good purposed, most money goes to jail libraries or schools and the money that goes to the schools goes straight to the districts pocket. Thats why they dont care if u drop out anymore.

11. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: I hate to say that if they start taxing, I'm packing up my net bags... until I become rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted